go pak go's Visit to Atlanta

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

go pak go's Visit to Atlanta

Post by go pak go »

Today I watched our Green Bay Packers in my 11th different city. It has been a while since I have done any games (2019 was my last game and 2018 was my last away game...remember 2018 was when I lost a Jeep on the Price is Right vs Rams)
image.png
image.png (577.89 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
The City
Arrived at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead yesterday and had incredible ramen. One thing I miss about living in larger cities (I moved back to South Dakota) is the great asian cusiine. The ramen was incredible.

The bigger thing however was our waiting staff for breakfast. We noticed how insanely hospitable Atlanta was and that didn't stop at the hotel.

Pre Game

We hit up the aquarium. I thought it was a great way to spend pregame and also ensure a parking spot. The Georgia Aquarium is gorgeous and the walk through Olympic Park is a super fun way to get jazzed for game day.

On the walk I was telling myself "man how cool would it be if i ran into someone like Aaron Nagler"...about 5 minutes later I am walking and I see Tom Silverstein walkin right next to me. He was talking on his phone but I quick gave him a fist bump and told him how much I appreciate his work. I do wonder how often a guy like him gets recognized. Especially on road games.

Getting into the stadium, the ratio was easily 70/30 Packers fans but keep in mind the visiting fans almost always arrive first as it is often "first time at the stadium". The one thing I kept noticing was the significant lack of #12 jerseys. I swear I saw just as much, if not more, Favre and Reggie White jerseys as I did Rodgers jerseys. The most common had to be Jones, Watson, Jaw, Love in that order. But also a lot of old timers like Matthews, Nelson, Driver, Jennings, et.

Inside the stadium was absolutely unreal. Definitely gave me Ford Field vibes but with more natural lighting. It is so big and airy. Just an absolute jaw dropping place. Absolutely incredible. The screen around the field is amazing too. By this point I am noticing again how hospitable everyone is. All the stadium workers were amazing and fun to poke fun with. Also the fans themselves were super fun and just honestly friendly. I usually get a lot of flack at visiting stadiums but experienced none of it here.

The food at this stadium is ridiculous. 2 hot dogs. 1 Miller Lite. 1 Lemonade. $15 total. We had that...got pictures and then walked around the stadium. The drum line was going and that was super fun. My pregnant wife wanted more food so we got in line for a cheesesteak. While waiting in line, I bring up some small talk with a group and come to find out they are super close to a Packers player. So when I ask who that is they say, "the long snapper" and of course I immediately say MATT ORZICH!!! So that struck up a lot of conversation. This guy is a restaurant owner in Nashville and starts showing me pictures with he and Matt. He said Matt is 6 foot 2 and 260 pounds of pure muscle. He and 4 of his Packers buddies came to his house earlier this year and ate 11 pounds of brisket. I told them good luck to Matt today and said, "he had a couple shaky snaps last week"...they were like "you noticed that too?!"

I love, love, love when I meet families of players. I hung out with the cornerback of the Lions in 2007's Thanksgiving game (Greg Jennings smoked that guy that day), Daryn Colledge's mom pregame before the NFC Championship in Chicago, and Al Harris's family before the 2014 Falcons game (Al didn't play anymore but the Harris family just LOVES Green Bay). So today was super cool I got to spend about 20 minutes with Matt Orzich's adopted parents. I don't know if they actually adopted Matt or if they just meant "we are super close and basically raised him"

The Game
My section was a good blend of Packers fans and Falcons fans.

I am white guys. Meaning I am a farmer from South Dakota. Culturally, I can't imagine being more different than inner-city hip-hop loving black folk from Atlanta. I literally can't understand what they are saying. We both speak English but I can't understand a word. :lol:

I gotta say. Everyone around me was so nice and so much fun. I had an absolute blast with my Packers and Falcons brethren alike. All the Falcons fans were season ticket holders and super good to us. I like it when home fans let me cheer and be myself. I thought Atlanta did a great job of in game entertainment and the crowd overall is just so much fun. A fantastic vibe. Super cute city.

As for the game, I saw 2 TDs right in my face as I was in the 11th row at around the 10 yardline or so. I saw the Wicks and Reed TD and those were just magical.

The stadium itself was probably 80% - 85% full. The upper section had some empties. I think it was probably 70% ATL and 30% Packers. The stadium got really loud in the 4th quarter and I kind of knew a that point our offense wasn't going to do anything. It was just too loud. The defense needed to win the day and just couldn't. The absolute heart breaker was Jordan Love missing Doubs on that final drive. GUYS. HE HAD DOUBS. He had him and just missed the throw, but it was totally there.

Absolutely have my heart gutted. We were the better team but just got outcoached. The defense was absolutely pathetic. Our edge boys got destroyed by their tackles and Savage gave me 2020 NFC Championship nightmares with that pathetic attempt at trying to knock the ball down.

And DAMNIT JAIRE AND QUAY!!! CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!

My voice is gone. My heart hurts. But I loved my experience in the ATL. Absolutely did not expect such a wonderful host.
image.png
image.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3701 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My city/stadium rankings from best to worst. Keeping mind fans, hospitality, city, stadium vibe, etc.

1. Green Bay
2. Atlanta
3. Detroit
4. Denver
5. Chicago
6. Cleveland
7. Los Angeles Rams (Packers outnumbered Rams fans)
8. San Francisco
9. Minnesota (keep in mind this is was the Metradome)
10. Pittsburgh (absolute a$$hole fans. the stadium is gorgeous)
11. Washington (Dan Snyder destroyed a great and historic franchise. An absolute disgrace to the shield)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Great, GREAT, stuff! Thanks for sharing in such detail!

:aok:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Thanks for the summary. Glad you enjoyed ATL. The southern hospitality and cuisine in ATL is usually remarkable.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Thanks for sharing your experience in Atlanta! I go to Atlanta a lot now because that is where my grandchildren live. I really like the area except for the traffic and the heat/humidity in summer. The people are wonderful down there. I am not surprised tha,t with the exception of the Packer's performance, you had a good time.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

great report. Thanks for sharing!

I really like the reports from road games the most. I know how it is at Lambeau. But learning about the other places is great.

I had heard that the cost of food and beverage is low there, for the Falcons and the Braves games. That's great. It's too easy to burn $20-25 at other places for one food item and one beverage.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

awesome report GPG, glad ya had a great time, never been to Atlanta, always wanted to go though, and from your comments it is just as friendly and beautiful as I heard it is. :aok:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I wouldn't have guessed Atlanta to be so hospitable. I guess I have no reason to think they wouldn't be either never really hard much.

I can't believe you lost a jeep LOL, but cool for being there. Thanks for the write up, always fun to read. and good luck with the coming arrival. 1st? 2nd? I'm new around here.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Awesome breakdown man. Have to go visit ATL again, we went when it was the Georgia Dome. Crazy how cheap things are in MBS. Glad you had a good time.

Heading to Vegas for NFL city #19 in 2 1/2 weeks, this got me amped up!
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Nice breakdown! Glad you had fun!

I was at the game where the bucks won the eastern conference in Atlanta against the hawks. It was crazy how nice the fans were. I think it’s because they lack the passion for the pro teams. The south is all about college football. I bet if you were at a Georgia game in Athens, wearing Florida gear…sure..you wouldn’t get beat up…but they would ruffle your feathers.

I think with pro sports they just want to go have a good time. That includes being nice to guest and getting to know where they come from.

And ya man, Mercedes Benz is nice. And Arthur blank is really cool for allowing you to feed two people for $15. It’s crazy cool.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 08:23

I really like the reports from road games the most. I know how it is at Lambeau. But learning about the other places is great.

I had heard that the cost of food and beverage is low there, for the Falcons and the Braves games. That's great. It's too easy to burn $20-25 at other places for one food item and one beverage.
Braves game not really the same. There prices aren’t NY outrageous, but they are not Mercedes Benz. My giant soda cup was $11, no refills. Would have been $4 at the Benz!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:05
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 08:23

Braves game not really the same. There prices aren’t NY outrageous, but they are not Mercedes Benz. My giant soda cup was $11, no refills. Would have been $4 at the Benz!
Wow. I wouldn’t have expected that.

Considering that movie theaters can easily charge >$30 for a couple of sodas and nachos/popcorn, those prices are still good.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:03
Nice breakdown! Glad you had fun!

I was at the game where the bucks won the eastern conference in Atlanta against the hawks. It was crazy how nice the fans were. I think it’s because they lack the passion for the pro teams. The south is all about college football. I bet if you were at a Georgia game in Athens, wearing Florida gear…sure..you wouldn’t get beat up…but they would ruffle your feathers.

I think with pro sports they just want to go have a good time. That includes being nice to guest and getting to know where they come from.

And ya man, Mercedes Benz is nice. And Arthur blank is really cool for allowing you to feed two people for $15. It’s crazy cool.
No question they had a lot less passion for pro sports. It was very evident. I would say they were slightly more knowledgeable than west coast pro sports teams but just more friendly.

But yeah I was surprised how little they knew about this team and the NFL.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Is that your wife/girlfriend? She's cute.

I'm glad you had a good experience in Atlanta. My only experience of that town is when we are traveling thru on our way to WI or back here. The traffic on the interstate there is nuts even tho they have 8 lanes each way! Yikes.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Glad you liked it down here. I didn't make it to the game, but had tickets in my cart mutiple times (along with another couple we were coordinating with, ended up renting a beach house with them instead, lol). I still haven't been to M-B but did see them at at the Georgia Dome back in 2010.

Barely anyone cares about the Falcons. Atlanta is >50% out of towners. The Dawgs are much bigger (+Tech/Clemson). Honestly it feels like Atlanta United FC (who also play at M-B) are more popular than the Falcons, you see their gear and flags a lot.

Though with the writers strike ongoing you did miss out on one typical Atlanta sighting; movies movies everywhere. Between movies and TV, they were always filming somewhere. The art museum on Peachtree is the setting for "The Resident". We knew a guy that was a regular zombie on the Walking Dead. Tyler Perry studios has fully taken over old ft McPherson.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Thanks for the read. Was In atlanta before but never nfl game, you give me reason to give them a chance soon

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

musclestang wrote:
18 Sep 2023 09:14

I can't believe you lost a jeep LOL, but cool for being there. Thanks for the write up, always fun to read. and good luck with the coming arrival. 1st? 2nd? I'm new around here.
Hahaha. Yeah that Price is Right thing was absolutely bizzare. Getting on the actual game show is really hard. You basically just arrive 4 hours before the taping and then you effectively do an audition. I heard CBS looked for people that would shine on the camera so that means whitty, funny, energy, etc.

I guess I was able to fake it enough to be the 2nd one called down to contestant's row out of a crowd of roughly 300. One of the craziest experiences of my life.

I over bid on the "That's Too Much" game by one slot and then spun a 90 on the wheel! But this stupid lady behind got a 95 and just like that...I was dead to CBS Studios. :lol: Won a kick ass set of knives though.
Yoop wrote:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Awesome report. Glad you enjoyed the city. I have always liked the area and been to a few brewers/braves games. The ppl are great everywhere I've been there. Only thing that sucks is the traffic. It's really bad

Congrats on the future child.

:beer2:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
18 Sep 2023 15:35
I heard CBS looked for people that would shine on the camera so that means whitty, funny, energy, etc.
I knew they looked for the crazy people LOL

You can't beat a quality set of knives.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sounds awesome.

We pretty much brought all our company down to Centennial Park, and went to the aquarium a few times. One time we went to Legal Sea Foods and didn’t catch the irony until after the meal lol. We always loved going up on top of the Westin for a couple drink, has the rotation lounge/restaurant up there.