Tanking?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Tanking?

Post by German_Panzer »

Maybe a bit premature or is it? :lol: Would you consider it right now as a GM? I would. Love is not the second coming of Christ and one can see already that this very team will not be able to win a SB. Then why not tank now and get the best „seats“ for the draft? When „tanking“ I never mean to lose bluntly but to just twist and try some things that you wouldnt do had you a real shot bc it decreases your winning chances.

Whats your stance on this issue right now?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

German_Panzer wrote:
11 Oct 2023 12:42
Maybe a bit premature or is it? :lol: Would you consider it right now as a GM? I would. Love is not the second coming of Christ and one can see already that this very team will not be able to win a SB. Then why not tank now and get the best „seats“ for the draft? When „tanking“ I never mean to lose bluntly but to just twist and try some things that you wouldnt do had you a real shot bc it decreases your winning chances.

NO, not now, or ever.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

German_Panzer wrote:

I'm never a fan of tanking, but if/when they get to 9 losses they will have to take a hard look at the other NFC records and make a decision. At 2-3 it's waaaaay premature.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

If I were a GM, and hopefully a good GM, I would pride myself for not making snap judgements like this.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I was just thinking: If you're among the fans that thinks Gute is poo-putty (not saying you specifically Panzer), what's the point in tanking anyway? He'll just spend a high pick on a terrible, more expensive player, right? ;)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

German_Panzer wrote:

How dare you suggest tanking for a higher draft position! A strong finish to one season is a mindset that catapults into a strong showing the next. Undeniably true. The team refused to tank in 2017 and just look at how successful 2018 was. :lombardi:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
11 Oct 2023 12:54
I was just thinking: If you're among the fans that thinks Gute is poo-putty (not saying you specifically Panzer), what's the point in tanking anyway? He'll just spend a high pick on a terrible, more expensive player, right? ;)
top 10 draft picks have a 60% chance of being a great player, no GM in his right mind would take the chance of upsetting a fan base to tank games for that, maybe the last couple of a very terrible season.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 Oct 2023 12:55
German_Panzer wrote:

How dare you suggest tanking for a higher draft position! A strong finish to one season is a mindset that catapults into a strong showing the next. Undeniably true. The team refused to tank in 2017 and just look at how successful 2018 was. :lombardi:
we went through 20 losing seasons and never purposely lost to get better draft slotting, at least not that I ever heard of.
Last edited by Yoop on 11 Oct 2023 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

losers play to lose

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m a big proponent of tanking. It’s the best way to get an elite player that can be franchise changing.

That said if I was Gutenbumst and I just drafted a failed QB, traded away two of the best players in franchise history m, and consistently blew entire draft classes on top of some terrible cap decisions I would be doing everything I could to win and save my job.

At the same time this is a reactionary organization. He probably gets one more year regardless of record. He can probably spin that Murphy chose the HC and he needs to be able to hire his guy.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Oct 2023 14:23
I’m a big proponent of tanking. It’s the best way to get an elite player that can be franchise changing.

That said if I was Gutenbumst and I just drafted a failed QB, traded away two of the best players in franchise history m, and consistently blew entire draft classes on top of some terrible cap decisions I would be doing everything I could to win and save my job.

At the same time this is a reactionary organization. He probably gets one more year regardless of record. He can probably spin that Murphy chose the HC and he needs to be able to hire his guy.
I doubt we'll ever tank games, I don't understand why anyone even brings it up, for one, teams that do it rarely prosper from it, we think because teams stink a few years garner a bunch of high picks that it's a proven formula, typically those team miss on some and it takes about 4 or 5 top 10 drafts to get the results they hoped for as a bottom feeder, and by that time some have left in UFA, rinse and repeat.

we had 20 years of high draft picks, imo it takes more then just that to do well.

just look at this defense for instance, 7 or 8 first rounders lol.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I think given how easy our schedule is this year tanking won't get us the top qb.

I think with a normal schedule next year we will have a shot at getting qb 1 in 2025 draft.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
11 Oct 2023 15:31
I think given how easy our schedule is this year tanking won't get us the top qb.

I think with a normal schedule next year we will have a shot at getting qb 1 in 2025 draft.
see I have more faith in Love then others do, I'am convinced that pass rush is in his head, he has no idea where it will come from, and that is why we see jump the pocket to quickly and make hurried throws, poor decisions, once we protect him more he'll settle in and do the stuff he had prior when nothing mattered.

I'am not saying he'll ever do well against the rush or be great, he just has to do a little better then he has the last couple games.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I've never understood the concept of tanking. How can it actually be a thing? We're talking about players, many of whom are trying to prove themselves on the field so that they can secure a lucrative contract and have a future in the league. The idea that they will just agree to mail it in so that the organization can target some top college prospect doesn't make any sense.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Captain_Ben wrote:
11 Oct 2023 16:48
I've never understood the concept of tanking. How can it actually be a thing? We're talking about players, many of whom are trying to prove themselves on the field so that they can secure a lucrative contract and have a future in the league. The idea that they will just agree to mail it in so that the organization can target some top college prospect doesn't make any sense.
on top of that, if a player or team of players doesn't believe the coaches and FO are in it to win it or are somehow undermining the players you've lost them forever. That is of course unless you've already accepted and adapted to a culture of losing, then they may not care so much. Good luck with that. your tanking season better come with 20 or 30 high draft picks to instantly build a new team because you've already lost anybody worth anything on the current one with that approach.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Captain_Ben wrote:
11 Oct 2023 16:48
It would be a secret operation by the GM, in which the coach may or may not also be involved. The GM would do this mainly by releasing or trading away lots of players who are still useful and can help the team win but do not fit into the long-term plan (often not driving a hard bargain when negotiating trades) and refraining from adding guys like that to the roster. If the coach is involved, he would go through the motions on gameday but not make the sorts of bold calls/risks needed to go out and win the game, just play a very predictable game.

It would not involve players at all. They can have their suspicions, but it would be just that, suspicion, cannot know for sure until and unless anyone who was in on it reveals the truth (like Brian Flores if memory serves, if you believe him).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

This is a great example of a dumb and useless thread.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

“Tanking” doesn’t necessarily need to consist of players “mailing it in” per se. An organization can “tank” by simply trading away all their good players for future draft picks and/or IRing players who could reasonably make a return during the season.

The remaining players still play hard. The coaching staff still prepares hard. There is no lack of effort, only talent.

Keep an eye on Denver. My gut tells me they’ve already begun the “tanking” process. Gregory is already gone and there is talk Frank Clark is next. After that, expect Sutton/Jeudy to be dealt along with whatever value vet players they can unload.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
11 Oct 2023 18:19
“Tanking” doesn’t necessarily need to consist of players “mailing it in” per se. An organization can “tank” by simply trading away all their good players for future draft picks and/or IRing players who could reasonably make a return during the season.

The remaining players still play hard. The coaching staff still prepares hard. There is no lack of effort, only talent.

Keep an eye on Denver. My gut tells me they’ve already begun the “tanking” process. Gregory is already gone and there is talk Frank Clark is next. After that, expect Sutton/Jeudy to be dealt along with whatever value vet players they can unload.
but how does that make them better for the future, I get the cutting of high cost players, but unless you hit on all the draft picks, nothing improves and the team is worse off.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
11 Oct 2023 18:25
APB wrote:
11 Oct 2023 18:19

but how does that make them better for the future, I get the cutting of high cost players, but unless you hit on all the draft picks, nothing improves and the team is worse off.
No offense, but I have zero desire to engage in a conversation with you. Not with the way you’ve interacted with others today. At the rate you’re going, it’d only result in you insulting me and/or my opinions anyway. So hard pass.

Hopefully, by being up front with you, I am not acting like the other “pompous jerk” you called out earlier today for expressing his opinion.