Play the 2023 Packers Blame Game!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is (most) to blame?

Poll ended at 04 Nov 2023 09:01

Brian Gutekunst
37%
Matt LaFleur
48%
Joe Barry
No votes
Jordan Love
4%
Unavoidable major roster upheaval, the above are all fine -or- cannot be fairly evaluated right now
11%

Total votes: 27

Labrev
Reactions:

Play the 2023 Packers Blame Game!

Post by Labrev »

I know a lot of individual opinions, just want to take a pulse of the forum as a group: who do you blame?

You can only pick one. This is to make people choose the option that lines up with the issue(s) they find most important.

I also am leaving Murphy off of it. I have no love for the guy, but blaming him is a bit of a cop-out IMO (lacks clarity/specificity on what part of the team is most poorly managed).

...... annnnnd GO!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I think the fans should be an option. Its our faults as owners.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Matt Lafleur will be playing a football coach in tv movies in probably 2 years
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:10
I think the fans should be an option. Its our faults as owners.
I was going to make that an option in jest, but my joke would have offended people who truly believe that.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Lafleur doesn't buy the groceries, thats Gutes job, and he's been a confused shopper, as well as late to the store, we where without several staples for far to long, and he relied on some that have long since past there expiration date.

imo Gutekunst dropped the ball

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

If I'm going to actually play this game, I'll lean toward Gutey. He's the reason we have the roster we have. Whether it is too young, not talented enough, wrong guys for the scheme, or whatever excuse you want to make, it lands with him.

I hate doing stuff like this because it is never 1 person. But I understand the premise. So Gutey get's my extra 1% of the blame to put him over everyone else.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I voted MLF.

The penalties, lack of discipline, poor fundamentals, poor play execution (wrong routes) are just killing this team.

I am very surprised he cannot coach a young unit. I thought it would be a strength.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:29
I voted MLF.

The penalties, lack of discipline, poor fundamentals, poor play execution (wrong routes) are just killing this team.

I am very surprised he cannot coach a young unit. I thought it would be a strength.
The little I've watched of player interviews, they put it more on themselves. They say they trust the coaches and things go well in practice but they don't carry it over into games. Coaches can only do so much, in the end, the player needs to execute.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Out of the choices available, Gutenbumst. He went 75% in to get another ring 2020-2022. If you're going to go that far, put all your chips on the table. He tried to go kind of in and it predictably didn't work. Now we're in cap hell for nothing. And he drafted Love, who clearly isn't the answer. I guess it is possible that drafting him got us back Godgers for 2020 and 2021. Overall, his drafts suck. Just look at Addison yesterday - could have had him instead he picks LVN who hardly sees the field (for the record I think LVN will eventually be decent - not as good as Gary but decent). But he was counting on his house of glass and dumb as rocks and soft as a sponge 2nd rounder the year before (Watson) to be a #1 because he ran fast on a crossing route last year.

But if an option I'd say Murphy. He let TT go too long when his health was clearly in decline. Then hires Gutenbumst.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:40

The little I've watched of player interviews, they put it more on themselves. They say they trust the coaches and things go well in practice but they don't carry it over into games. Coaches can only do so much, in the end, the player needs to execute.
Hey, at least Preston "survived the down" against Addison yesterday on the goal line!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:45
paco wrote:

Hey, at least Preston "survived the down" against Addison yesterday on the goal line!
That was a hell of a play by him! Would have voted for him on that play alone in Here's Johnny.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
I voted MLF.

does the name Jason Vrable come to mind, he's our receivers coach and passing game cord. we have so many receivers screw ups that ends up being directed at Lafleur or Love, I just thought I'd bring his name up, last year was the same thing.

we had to beg this FO to pony up for Bisaccia, and we are quick to blame Lafleur, even Barry, just maybe the problem is we wont spend the money on quality assistants

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:44
But if an option I'd say Murphy.
This would be my option as well if available.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:47
wallyuwl wrote:
paco wrote:

That was a hell of a play by him! Would have voted for him on that play alone in Here's Johnny.
It was a great play by him. My point was that a good coach would never put him in that position. Over the bye Barry was asked by a reporter about having Preston in coverage against D. Adams in the Raiders game, and he said that Preston just had to "survive the down."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:49
go pak go wrote:
I voted MLF.

does the name Jason Vrable come to mind, he's our receivers coach and passing game cord. we have so many receivers screw ups that ends up being directed at Lafleur or Love, I just thought I'd bring his name up, last year was the same thing.

we had to beg this FO to pony up for Bisaccia, and we are quick to blame Lafleur, even Barry, just maybe the problem is we wont spend the money on quality assistants
Hard to say where that blame lies. Is MLF not getting who he wants because they won't pony up the dough? Or is MLF not picking the right guys? :idn:
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:52
paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:47
wallyuwl wrote:

It was a great play by him. My point was that a good coach would never put him in that position. Over the bye Barry was asked by a reporter about having Preston in coverage against D. Adams in the Raiders game, and he said that Preston just had to "survive the down."
I completely agree. Joe B routinely has us in bad alignments because he can't think more than 1 play ahead. His thinking each play isn't so hot either.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The roster is not good enough to win a super bowl.
The roster is plenty good enough to compete for a 7 seed.

The fact that the team is competing for a top 5 draft pick, is a lafleur thing.

Good coaching and good use of the players we do have, and good scheme and game management could absolutely navigate this team to a season we all find acceptable.

Lafleur has contributed none of that.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:44
Out of the choices available, Gutenbumst. He went 75% in to get another ring 2020-2022. If you're going to go that far, put all your chips on the table. He tried to go kind of in and it predictably didn't work. Now we're in cap hell for nothing. And he drafted Love, who clearly isn't the answer. I guess it is possible that drafting him got us back Godgers for 2020 and 2021. Overall, his drafts suck. Just look at Addison yesterday - could have had him instead he picks LVN who hardly sees the field (for the record I think LVN will eventually be decent - not as good as Gary but decent). But he was counting on his house of glass and dumb as rocks and soft as a sponge 2nd rounder the year before (Watson) to be a #1 because he ran fast on a crossing route last year.

But if an option I'd say Murphy. He let TT go too long when his health was clearly in decline. Then hires Gutenbumst.
loyalty in business can be a detriment to success, to me Ted went wrong when he kept drafting DT's at the end of round 1, his only real hit was Ken Clark, and his direction of drafting caused the decline of the WR position, and Guty did the same thing in his first 3 drafts, main reason for Loves struggles and the chaos we see on offense.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

People get mad that I do not blame Gute enough.

Okay, well the anti-Gute crowd makes their points, I explain why I do not find them persuasive, and in that critical moment when given opportunity to make some strong point on why I should see it differently... they just go back to unpersusaive original points, and get angry that I do not just accept it after repeating them slower and louder. Sorry, your failure to persuade is on you.

As for that, we have seen the players play better than this, so we know he has provided a roster full of guys who can do the things we need to win. They simply are not playing like the sum of their parts. That is a coach fail, not GM fail.

Perfect example: Christian Watson. Huge disappointment thus far, but we saw last year that he can change the course of a season pretty much all by himself. That was as a rookie, coming out of a small school. So for those who think he is being overrated... even if he never improves over rookie year, that season alone showed he is a capital-dub Weapon.

So the GM got us a guy who adds a lot of value to the team. He held up his end; the rest is out of his hands. Watson improving is on the coaches. Watson being utilized well as a weapon, even with zero improvement over last year, is on the coaches.

If anything, I almost regret that Gute has added as much talent as he has, to a point where Barry's defective defensive gameplans look passable because there are lots of solid-to-good players and simply are no real "holes" on that side ala MD Jennings, Brad Jones, etc.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:54
Yoop wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:49
go pak go wrote:
I voted MLF.

Hard to say where that blame lies. Is MLF not getting who he wants because they won't pony up the dough? Or is MLF not picking the right guys? :idn:
fair point, we know that who you know concerning coaching hires matters, the less prominent/experienced coaches Lafleur knows probably limits the interviews he'll get, but I think we have a history ( promotion from within, lends to the idea) of offering lower money for not only players, but also coaches, Russ Ball is frugal, possibly a little to frugal