Rank the Roster 2020: #5

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 05 May 2020 07:36

David Bakhtiari
59%
Kenny Clark
41%
Jaire Alexander
No votes
Adrian Amos
No votes
Corey Linsley
No votes
Preston Smith
No votes
Elgton Jenkins
No votes
Darnell Savage
No votes
Kevin King
No votes
Jace Sternberger
No votes

Total votes: 17

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #5

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I've got Clark here, arguably the best NT in the league, unquestioned top 3, esp since he's such a good pass rusher on top of being an immovable object in the run. I think he's better than Raji ever was. Bak is good, but even in his best years he's not the best LT, he's the best pass protector, there is a difference, and he had a down year last year. Still think he's worth the next slot tho, just need Clark to go before him. Clark is still an ascending player too. :shock:

On deck (in no particular order) - Williams, Turner, Wagner, Lazard, Funchess, Lowry, Kirksey, Burks, MVS, EQSB, Dillon
I'm missing CB #3 on this list, but I think I've got every remaining starter on there, and all the WRs. LMK if I am missing someone or if you want one of these players up in particular.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Can't belive Bak and Kenny are on here and AJones is off the board, but I went with Bak. Both still in the same tier for me. I really don't want to see Kenny's contract extension, but he will be well worth it.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Kenny Clark - Full Grown Man. Who had a fine year and is still on the upswing, while Bak is certainly great but had a down year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Clark, one of the top DL in the league, edges out Bahk who didn't play up to prior ability, close call, Bahk will get my vote tomorrow.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
04 May 2020 07:44
I've got Clark here, arguably the best NT in the league, unquestioned top 3, esp since he's such a good pass rusher on top of being an immovable object in the run. I think he's better than Raji ever was. Bak is good, but even in his best years he's not the best LT, he's the best pass protector, there is a difference, and he had a down year last year. Still think he's worth the next slot tho, just need Clark to go before him. Clark is still an ascending player too. :shock:

On deck (in no particular order) - Williams, Turner, Wagner, Lazard, Funchess, Lowry, Kirksey, Burks, MVS, EQSB, Dillon
I'm missing CB #3 on this list, but I think I've got every remaining starter on there, and all the WRs. LMK if I am missing someone or if you want one of these players up in particular.
This will be an interesting vote. It seems a lot of voters who went Davante over Bak also mentioned they had Kenny over Bak. Early voting seems split. I agree with everything that you said. This is Kenny Clark for me, too. Bak next.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
04 May 2020 07:44
Bak is good, but even in his best years he's not the best LT, he's the best pass protector, there is a difference, and he had a down year last year.
I was trying to make this point in the Aaron Jones thread, but it didn't quite come out right. I think this is absolutely true and will be compounded if the Packers truly do get to the next level of LaFleur's offense which means heavier run and heavier PA. Bak is going to make a killing on the open market, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers are content to take their comp pick and add a new LT that is more well-rounded and more suited to the running game.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I'm not so sure he isn't the best LT. I mean not last year, but in years prior. Definitely close to the top as far as pass blocking if not the top. While his run blocking isn't up there it is still pretty decent. Combined I would say he is tops, just not last year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
04 May 2020 09:18
I'm not so sure he isn't the best LT. I mean not last year, but in years prior. Definitely close to the top as far as pass blocking if not the top. While his run blocking isn't up there it is still pretty decent. Combined I would say he is tops, just not last year.
Right, but we are judging for 2020 right? Both are fantastic, and end this tier. Whoever doesn't get selected today, will go off the board tomorrow. After that I have Jaire.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
04 May 2020 09:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
04 May 2020 09:18
Right, but we are judging for 2020 right? Both are fantastic, and end this tier. Whoever doesn't get selected today, will go off the board tomorrow. After that I have Jaire.
Absolutely. I think Bakhtiari could be the top tackle in the league in 2020. I also agree, after tomorrow we are starting an all new tier.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm a little surprised Clark is competing for this. I know Bakh had a down year (by his standards), but Clark did, also, until December or so.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kenny since #3.

Jaire will be my 6.

Not quite sure on my 7.

I could see arguments for King, Linsley, Preston and Jenkins

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
04 May 2020 10:08
Kenny since #3.

Jaire will be my 6.

Not quite sure on my 7.

So you have Jaire ahead of Bak?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
04 May 2020 10:11
BF004 wrote:
Kenny since #3.

Jaire will be my 6.

Not quite sure on my 7.

Yeah, no, Bak for sure in there, obvi.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
04 May 2020 10:13
Packfntk wrote:
04 May 2020 10:11
BF004 wrote:
Kenny since #3.

Jaire will be my 6.

Not quite sure on my 7.

Yeah, no, Bak for sure in there, obvi.
Oh, was going to say, ummm dude, Bak or Kenny are #6....... :lol:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Went Bak. thought he had tweaked his back a bit last year. Splitting hairs at this point. But I'll go with the extra 250 snaps Bak gets.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Bak by a nose.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I though Bak actually improved his run blocking in 2019, but that's like one step forward and two leaps backwards due to shakier pass blocking.

Still, Clark.

I've been following the Packers since 1997, and can't think of a better overall interior DL than Clark. Gilbert Brown was better vs the run, Mike Daniels (and maybe Corey Williams & Dotson, tho my memories are blurry with them) as dedicated inside rusher. But as whole package, only Raji's 2010 season matches what Clark is set to bring every year.

Bak and Clark are also the last players I'd be willing to franchise tag if set to leave.

Probably will debate Alexander vs Amos after the two above.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

BF004 wrote:
Kenny since #3.

Jaire will be my 6.

Not quite sure on my 7.

I think Amos and/or Savage will squeak onto the later part of that tier.

Going back through, tier 2 has gone through 4 or 5 every year of this, this is the first year we will hit 6. So we have more elite talent on out roster now, at least as perceived at this time of year, than we have had since 2014.

That said, our fading/ascending stars tier and solid starters are going to be a bit light. The solid starter tier has ended at 15/16 every year but last, where it ended 13. Looks like its going to end at 13 again this year.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I got Bak here. i think he played about the same as he always does, they just called holding more than they usually do last year. I think Kenny probably played hurt last year, and certainly didnt have much help around him on the DL and at ILB, but he still was a ghost from time to time. I would hate to see the OL without Bak in there.

Wondering if Kenny gets a deal done before the season, thought that would be handled by about now.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23