The Rebuild

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

The Rebuild

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Ok huddler experts. What shall the rebuild entail?

Gotta go deep now. Front office, GM, scouting, coaching, the players, the cap, ticket resale policies, executive committee, Jack Vainisi, you name it we've got to cover it.

The only things not on the table for discussion are Krolls chili and the Ariens sled hill. :thwap:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
12 Nov 2023 05:03

Gotta go deep now. Front office, GM, scouting, coaching, the players, the cap, ticket resale policies, executive committee, Jack Vainisi, you name it we've got to cover it.

The only things not on the table for discussion are Krolls chili and the Ariens sled hill. :thwap:
The rebuild entails a year of experience for the offense and finding a way to fix the D's decimated backfield.

We need to get lucky and February 14th is not near. :lol: ;)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I don't think any of those are happening anytime soon. But would most like to see Krolls increase burger size to what it used to be.
Last edited by wallyuwl on 13 Nov 2023 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Post Steelers, maybe somebody should be asking WTF with regard to Clark? Maybe Dean Lowry was not the problem after all?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Nov 2023 08:39
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
12 Nov 2023 05:03

The rebuild entails a year of experience for the offense and finding a way to fix the D's decimated backfield.

We need to get lucky and February 14th is not near. :lol: ;)
rasul douglas could have helped with that decimated backfield but...
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:09
Post Steelers, maybe somebody should be asking WTF with regard to Clark? Maybe Dean Lowry was not the problem after all?
I think weve always overrated Clark. Sure, he has had about 2 games a year where he absolutely dominates. but has he ever done for majority of games?

Its like he cycles through from game wrecker, to non factor all of the time.

Most of the time a bad boy DLmen will become a leader of the defense. When we think of the vocal leaders or tone setters or the "dogs" of the defense, do we ever think of little kenny?

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I'm going to start from the front, remove trim bag and tag, panels and then engine out, oh, rebuild this team? DC out. and then we could use guys at pretty much any and every position group on the field. So just pick good ones.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packers fans always want to hold the DC accountable for the failing defense. Never the HC who is responsible for the Defense, or the GM who is responsible for picking the players.

The Org has spent tremendous resources on the defense, at the direct expense of the offense....so you tell me:

Is it the players (a gm problem) or the HC (a problem of hiring a bad coach)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The core of the rebuild I want is to focus on being tough and big in the trenches.

I want to prioritize stopping the run and running the ball.

I actually think we have the players to do it on defense. And we even drafted the larger center on offense.

Overall, I don't think we are far away. Get a LT and RG and a new attitude and this squad is fine.

How we lot a month ago was concerning. How we lost yesterday is not.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:23
TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:09
I think weve always overrated Clark. Sure, he has had about 2 games a year where he absolutely dominates. but has he ever done for majority of games?

Its like he cycles through from game wrecker, to non factor all of the time.

Most of the time a bad boy DLmen will become a leader of the defense. When we think of the vocal leaders or tone setters or the "dogs" of the defense, do we ever think of little kenny?
we use to, every year is a new team, McCarthy mantra is actually true, players rarely play the same one year to the next, it's the physical nature of this sport, plus opponents are not the same, so who Clark faces also makes a difference, and we line him up against the best opposing guards other teams have every week, not to mention he's become a older vet now, which means the dings take longer to heal, I think thats the biggest reason for any decline in play. :idn:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

i'm fine with the players and the work of the GM as a whole. MLF still has a lot to learn about being a HC. I'd be ok keeping him and getting a new DC. If things don't turn around I'm ok bringing in a whole new set, though I think that sets us back a couple years again and we'll have new GM, new HC, new everything if that is going to be the direction we go.

But I don't see Murphy doing that right before he leaves. I think MLF and Gute are going to be here regardless so the best I can do is hope for a new DC. This is year 3 or 4 of getting run over, not being able to get off the field when important and losing games. 3rd time this year we've given up over 200 yards rushing? At this point I'd rather see us give up 400 yards passing and only 50 rushing once or twice.

It's not surviving a down if they're running all over us. and a DC that keeps lining up to let them run all over us can go for all I care.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:42
The core of the rebuild I want is to focus on being tough and big in the trenches.

I want to prioritize stopping the run and running the ball.

I actually think we have the players to do it on defense. And we even drafted the larger center on offense.

Overall, I don't think we are far away. Get a LT and RG and a new attitude and this squad is fine.

How we lot a month ago was concerning. How we lost yesterday is not.
the concerning part of yesterday is that we played against another low tier QB, and instead of dialing up pass rush, Barry opted for coverage and his patented light front, basically saying to Pitts. " I dare you to run on us" and they did, again, and again, and again.

obviously Campbell is now a shadow of who he was when we brought him aboard, and minus Alexander and Savage we have to play very inexperienced backups, which is obviously why Barry chose coverage over pass rush and heavy front, imo base front would have helped two fold, better pass rush would have helped coverage and also helped stop the run, Barry is a train wreck of a DC, just as I'am starting to think Lafleur is a better OC then a HC.

I agree, get bigger in the trenches, mostly though just OL, we need road graders that can also pass pro, our run blocking is to inconsistent, we've spent so much on DL already, better result from them is to use 3 versus 2, but in order to accomplish that we need better ability from our edge dropper, Smith is to slow at it.

I think we also should find a replacement for Jones, he might not be all washed up yet, but he looks close, and he can't seem to stay healthy.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:37
Packers fans always want to hold the DC accountable for the failing defense. Never the HC who is responsible for the Defense, or the GM who is responsible for picking the players.

The Org has spent tremendous resources on the defense, at the direct expense of the offense....so you tell me:

I think people all the time blame the HC and GM. Certainly nowhere near ‘never’.

Even when people hate Barry, I’d say around half here fault LaFleur more.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I still think we don't need to do anything. Love is still a question mark (regarding whether or not he is good enough to be a longtime starter). The offense is quite young. The defense is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. We keep losing by very slim margins.

If I would make any changes, I would probably try to add a superstar WR and bolster the OL through the draft. Also draft 2 fast RBs (not bruisers, but the quick ones). I would largely leave the defense alone, but CB is always a position where you can never have too much talent.

I don't think I would fire or cut anyone, yet. Now if we fail to improve over the next 1.5-2 seasons? Yeah then I might even clean house and start fresh at QB. But now? Far too early for that.

I guess I will say that I am slightly pessimistic about Love, because his biggest issue seems to be accuracy, which can be really tough to fix. But that being said, he does a lot of things well too, especially for the type of offense we hope MLF is wanting to install once he can start getting proper personnel.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

MLF is not a leader of men. Neither is Barry. I believe it is the correct move to get rid of them sooner rather than later. The reason I think that is because if we start acquiring more talent to rebuild the roster, I don't want that talent being infected with the weak, complacent mindset of the current status quo. Like I said in an earlier post, we need to go out there and find a disruptor. Maybe our guy is not available yet. Fine. Hold on to LaFleur until he shows his face. When he does, we better damned well make our move.

Revamp the Packers brand. Make other teams fear this $%@# name once again.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:

Hey. Please watch you use of the term "always". In the grand scheme of the Packers the buck stops at Mark Murphy. Then percolates down through Gutey (GM) and LaCoach (HC).

At this point it's mostly the HC, and all of his assistant coaches. They seem to be incapable of providing the leadership and management necessary to compete at this level. GM has done his part to mess this up as well .............. but its mostly the HC.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think if we fired LaFleur today he is picked up tomorrow. I think if we fired Gutenbumst he would only get calls from telemarketers and wrong numbers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
13 Nov 2023 17:34
Drj820 wrote:

Hey. Please watch you use of the term "always". In the grand scheme of the Packers the buck stops at Mark Murphy. Then percolates down through Gutey (GM) and LaCoach (HC).

At this point it's mostly the HC, and all of his assistant coaches. They seem to be incapable of providing the leadership and management necessary to compete at this level. GM has done his part to mess this up as well .............. but its mostly the HC.
Really? Trading away two of the best players in franchise history in back to back seasons because they said they’d never play for you again are on the HC?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Nov 2023 17:50
I think if we fired LaFleur today he is picked up tomorrow. I think if we fired Gutenbumst he would only get calls from telemarketers and wrong numbers.
Agree - MLF gets picked up as an offensive guy despite how bad this offense has done.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Packers currently have a record of 3-6 with the easiest schedule in the NFL.

GB currently averages 5.4 points a game in the first half. 2nd last behind Giants. Our offense moves the ball when the def plays softer with a lead to close out the game.

This 5.4 points in 1st half says alot about the quality of this offense.