Packer Receivers: The Fearsome Five?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Packer Receivers: The Fearsome Five?

Post by MY_TAKE »

I thought maybe this could be its own thread because of the overall uniqueness of the situation. Are any of them what we call, #1 WRs? I don't know. Are they all good # 2s? It seems that on any given game day, they all have the ability to shine. OH, and BTW, They =

Watson
Doubs
Wicks
Reed
Melton

I personally have said good and bad things about a couple of them, but in the end they all have certain attributes that make them good football players. The key to the whole thing and maybe why none of them becomes a so-called #1, is because their QB for some reason seems to throw it to the open guy. :lol: :lol:

Who will be the #1 this week? I have no clue.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

I've been thinking of four of them like this:

Watson = Jordy
Doubs = James Jones
Reed = fast Greg Jennings
Bo Melton = Donald Driver

Not sure who the Wicks comp is yet, but those above all have Superbowl rings...

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I see this as 2 tiers:
Watson and Reed all have star potential. A Defense needs to focus on them or get burned.
The second tier is supporting cast, aka WR#2. Doubs, Wicks and Melton. A Defense can't ignore them or it will get burned.
As a unit, it is pick your poison for any defense without 3 great CB's and a pass rush.

And then there are the TE's. Musgrave is a 6'6" 255 pound possession receiver. Kraft is an all-round TE with the balance and attitude to run over people and get YAC.

So I'd say it is the fearsome 7. it is a tough problem to have - too many starters

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

mnkcarp wrote:
19 Jan 2024 07:20

Watson = Jordy
Doubs = James Jones

I think Wicks is could be Tae lite, also think Doubs is Jim Jones strong, Jones was never a #1, Doubs is more border line #1, Dallas rotated the #1 CB and Doubs beat Gilmore for another 70 yrds, I feel as though we have 3 receivers that can play the #1 A card, Watson, Reed, Wicks, with Doubs a #1 B with Melton a #2, jmo and we only have small sampling, very impressive group :aok:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jan 2024 08:30
mnkcarp wrote:
19 Jan 2024 07:20

Watson = Jordy
Doubs = James Jones

I think Wicks is could be Tae lite, also think Doubs is Jim Jones strong, Jones was never a #1, Doubs is more border line #1, Dallas rotated the #1 CB and Doubs beat Gilmore for another 70 yrds, I feel as though we have 3 receivers that can play the #1 A card, Watson, Reed, Wicks, with Doubs a #1 B with Melton a #2, jmo and we only have small sampling, very impressive group :aok:
I made the Greg Jennings comparisons a lot after Reed was drafted (Jennings was fast, BTW). His play style is more Randall Cobb but I think the Jennings comp still holds, as well. Reed is like a hybrid of the two and possesses the best qualities from each. He could be super elite.

Wicks is SO Davante. Other than the jersey number, I don't see much Driver in Melton. Melton is shorter, more versatile, Jeff Janis?

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Watson is not Nelson. Watson is bigger, faster, etc.

I do like Reed to Jennings a lot. Jennings was a "over the middle guy" and also a boundary guy so I like that comparison. The only difference is Reed is a brick wall. He is like a Deebo and Jennings hybrid.

Wicks has feet like Adams but not as fast. Also a taller. He will be interesting to watch for sure.

Doubs reminds me of Robert Brooks more than James Jones but I admit I don't have the best memory of Brooks

Bo Melton is tough. I don't have any "comps" for him yet but I really, really like his game.

Malik Heath reminds me of a thicker and faster Geronimo Allison
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I'm also not totally giving up on Toure. This year was disappointing, especially since it seemed like he was getting rave reviews in Training Camp, so not sure what happened there, but I think he could still contribute, but now it may take an injury for that to happen.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
19 Jan 2024 08:58
I'm also not totally giving up on Toure. This year was disappointing, especially since it seemed like he was getting rave reviews in Training Camp, so not sure what happened there, but I think he could still contribute, but now it may take an injury for that to happen.
He’s the teams 7th best receiver and could possibly end up as 8th if Dubose takes a step. You’re got opportunities this year but just never really took advantage. Especially in that last game.

His goose is probably cooked. I think we could stash him on the PS and be fine.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Funnily, there was debate in the Reed draft pick thread over my comp of him to Deebo. It got a little pushback. :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wicks doesn't look like he runs a 4.6
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 19 Jan 2024 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

NCF wrote:
19 Jan 2024 08:42
I made the Greg Jennings comparisons a lot after Reed was drafted (Jennings was fast, BTW).
I was going to mention this also. :lol: I am almost positive Jennings in his prime was faster than Reed. Not quicker but faster. Jennings was a deep threat and could fly

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Jennings was so smooth, precise, consistent and fast. One of the best WR's we've had in green and gold, but so many remember the jilted girlfriend routine when he went to MN and I think he's often overlooked for that reason. I also think he was so smooth in what he did, many people didn't realize just how good he was because it looked so effortless at times and the was not jittery explosions they've come to associate with greatness.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

MY_TAKE wrote:
19 Jan 2024 09:27
NCF wrote:
19 Jan 2024 08:42
I made the Greg Jennings comparisons a lot after Reed was drafted (Jennings was fast, BTW).
I was going to mention this also. :lol: I am almost positive Jennings in his prime was faster than Reed. Not quicker but faster. Jennings was a deep threat and could fly
Jennings speed was deceiving, he looked faster then he was do to being so quick in and out of his route break points, so good he left defenders flat footed, straight line speed, he ran 4.4, straight line and Reed has been clocked sub 4.3, Reed has world class speed, Jennings, not quite, imho Jennings was football fast, rather then track fast. jmo

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Brooks highlights.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I miss the old slant fade. That was mine and [mention]NCF[/mention]’s go-to red zone play when we were slinging it in the backyard

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I may be showing my age here but...

I don't really see any Jordy in Watson, like at all. Jordy was so smooth and had that deceptive speed that caught many defenders off guard. Watson isn't near as deceptive or shifty and certainly doesn't have Jordy's hands. He's got speed and is a playmaker, sure, but it's not in the ways Jordy did it.

If I were to make a comparison to a former player, I think I'd go James Lofton.

Lofton was a long strider with burner speed but was also shifty enough to make plays over the middle or on the boundary. James was a threat to score from anywhere on the field and just his presence made the rest of the offense better.

Christian Watson = James Lofton with a little health luck and a little more consistency. And that's saying something.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Side note: I was waiting for somebody to suggest one of these guys compared well to Sterling Sharpe. I have my daggers sharpened and ready to pounce should one of you be fool enough to utter the words. Sharpe is, by good measure, the best WR the Packers have had in the SB era. Fair warning! ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2024 10:55
Side note: I was waiting for somebody to suggest one of these guys compared well to Sterling Sharpe. I have my daggers sharpened and ready to pounce should one of you be fool enough to utter the words. Sharpe is, by good measure, the best WR the Packers have had in the SB era. Fair warning! ;)
Yeah I'm too young for Sterling but my god the highlights I watch of that guy is insane.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (26.01 KiB) Viewed 641 times
image.png
image.png (27.09 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Yeah the Jordy/Watson comp was forced but I was trying to compare our current group with the group that last went the distance.