Rank the Roster 2020: #10

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 12 May 2020 09:47

Adrian Amos
41%
Corey Linsley
6%
Darnell Savage
6%
Kevin King
47%
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Jamaal Williams
No votes
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
No votes
Alan Lazard
No votes
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Christian Kirksey
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes

Total votes: 17

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #10

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'm going with Amos with King and Linsley on deck. Amos was just a rock back there last year and was exactly what was missing in our secondary.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

King, Amos, Linsley, Savage, in that order.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I went savage. I think he makes a huge jump and his impact will play a big role on d

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

For a team that perpetually struggles with tackling...

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I re-watched the Panthers, Cowboys and Vikings game over the weekend which was fun when emotion was out of it. A few things stuck out at me.

1. Rodgers missed a lot of open WRs by not throwing to the receivers and the announcers had to say a lot, "you usually don't see this from Aaron Rodgers" and man did he have accuracy issues at times.

2. Preston Smith was a FORCE early in the season. We don't beat the Panthers if it weren't for Preston Smith. When we needed a play, Preston Smith came through. He was unbelievable in that Carolina game.

3. Adrian Amos was so good when Savage was playing. Adrian Amos, Kenny Clark and Preston Smith were the players of the game on the defense the first half of the season. Aaron Jones and Devante Adams were the players on the offense the whole season.

4. Jaire Alexander reminds me of Nick Collins in 2007. So freaking close to being All Pro but just can't finish the play. Alexander did suck, and I mean suck at Dallas.

5. Our defense is full on swagger when Kevin King comes to play. When King is able to make the big tackle from the CB position...we win. When he can't make the tackle...we will probably end up losing that game.

Adrian Amos was better than I remembered, but Kevin King shows these glimpses of making our defense elite. When he is on, he is our best cornerback.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

King is full of swag. He is one of my favorite players really. I havent voted on this poll yet though. Still deciding if i should hold previous availability issues against King.

The thing thats great about Amos is he is just solid. Hes not flashy, not much of a play maker. But he does his job and tackles well, and thats something we havent had in so long that it just means so much to us.

This is a tough decision.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
11 May 2020 10:19
The thing thats great about Amos is he is just solid. Hes not flashy, not much of a play makes. But he does his job and tackles well, and thats something we havent had in so long that it just means so much to us.
Yep. Its something that was definitely missing before last year and is a great compliment to the up-and-down game of Kevin King. If King just gain some consistency, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

King, Kinsley, Amos. All right here for me. Went King because of better top end to his play than the other 2.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I will say, for as much as it seems like Kevin King has already been through, the man still has a long, bright future ahead of him.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Still weighing Amos vs King for this spot. Consistency vs upside.

When I look back, the highest Morgan Burnett ever rose was #11. I think Amos is slightly better than Burnett was at his best, but even then, Burnett had a history of inconsistency. Amos benefits from his learning years being elsewhere; we have no history but consistency.

I've always been a big believer in King's upside and the ability he showed on the field, but man, he really got burned bad at times last year, a few receivers really owned him.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess what I am a bit confused about is we seem to be very high on Alexander and yet have reservations about Kevin King. I horribly argued that in prior threads but I am a bit confused how Alexander is easily consensus at the leader of the 2nd tier on our defense whereas we don't know what tier King should be at.

Yes King has consistency issues but Jaire Alexander has major consistency issues too.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Don't take these stats for gospel. There are weaknesses in the reliability of the data; however, I think it does provide a solid baseline on a game by game basis of who our starters faced and their results.
image.png
image.png (331.94 KiB) Viewed 531 times
image.png
image.png (916.97 KiB) Viewed 531 times
image.png
image.png (741.17 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

image.png
image.png (332.75 KiB) Viewed 527 times
image.png
image.png (940.72 KiB) Viewed 527 times
image.png
image.png (721.49 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess looking at these advanced stats Alexander does deserve to be ahead of King.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

King for me here.

Linsley and Amos likely up.

Going to start pushing some Gary talk here soon.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
11 May 2020 12:31
King for me here.

Linsley and Amos likely up.

Going to start pushing some Gary talk here soon.
I will put guys like our WRs and TE and Savage ahead of Gary yet. But the discussion of should Kirksey and Sullivan be ahead or behind Gary will be an interesting one.

I think Gary will be ahead of any other Dlinemen for me. Even Lowry.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
11 May 2020 11:39
I guess what I am a bit confused about is we seem to be very high on Alexander and yet have reservations about Kevin King. I horribly argued that in prior threads but I am a bit confused how Alexander is easily consensus at the leader of the 2nd tier on our defense whereas we don't know what tier King should be at.

Yes King has consistency issues but Jaire Alexander has major consistency issues too.
Im not sure whats confusing about it. King has one year actually staying on the field, that makes people have reservations about him. He is very good against big tall possessions WRs, but can get bullied by quick speeders. Alexander is physical enough to cover the guys much bigger than him, and fast enough to keep up with the speedsters. His only flaw is he gambles wrong at times. But when you look at stats you have to remember that King is seeing mostly WR2s, Jaire sees the opponents best every week mostly.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Had to go King here

I was tempted though to vote for Gary just to annoy Yoop :twisted: :)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, Jaire has better advanced metrics, more reliably is in the lineup, and generally faces tougher coverage assignments than King. So he's ahead.

For me the Amos vs. King debate is better. I trust Amos more--both to be on the field and to play at a solid level when on the field. But King undeniably has the ABILITY to be a bigger impact and have more influence.