2024 Free Agent Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Offseason Strategy

Stick to the draft, we got guys to extend
3%
Fill a few holes here and there
23%
Maybe get a starter if the price is right.
20%
We desperately need a starter or two
27%
Where is muh Zadarius and Preston
7%
Shut up and just fix the site already
20%

Total votes: 30

BF004
Reactions:

2024 Free Agent Discussion

Post by BF004 »

Haven’t followed him as close. Perpetually hurt, was he benched this last year? Think I remember him being a bit of a turd in the locker room.

He was awesome in NY, so maybe?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

You want turds on defense if they are liked interanlly and are available.

You don't want turds when they aren't liked internally and aren't avaialable. I am not interested in Jamal Adams.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Bears are releasing OL Cody Whitehair and S Eddie Jackson.

Intriguing options, IMO. And I believe they don't count against comp picks since they were releases.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Released played don’t affect the compensatory formula.

I wouldn’t want Adams. He plays the run pretty well and has a lot of range but he doesn’t make plays on the ball. I wouldn’t want Eddie Jackson either. He’s a liability in the run game.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Feb 2024 08:11

I wouldn’t want Adams. He plays the run pretty well and has a lot of range but he doesn’t make plays on the ball. I wouldn’t want Eddie Jackson either. He’s a liability in the run game.
Don’t we want less of the do it all safeties and get ones that specialize a bit more in run and deep center?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Eddie Jackson was good (nay, elite) when he had Adrian Amos in front of him and he was free to go ball-hawking.

I would be down to bring him in as long as we get a guy at the other S position that cleans stuff up in the box.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
16 Feb 2024 09:16
Eddie Jackson was good (nay, elite) when he had Adrian Amos in front of him and he was free to go ball-hawking.

I would be down to bring him in as long as we get a guy at the other S position that cleans stuff up in the box.
I was pretty shocked to learn that he is 30 already. I am not making any significant investment in that.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d consider both

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2024 08:27
lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Feb 2024 08:11

Don’t we want less of the do it all safeties and get ones that specialize a bit more in run and deep center?
in a man scheme your box safety has to have coverage skills to imo, also need to be solid in run support, was hoping Owens would develop coverage ability, probably why he was available when we picked him up cause he looks lost in space.

I think the way offenses have spread the field and use shorter pass schemes, the SS has to be a 2 way player too, great at both coverage and defending the run, we miss what Amos brought to the position that's for sure.

not a real hyped up safety in this class, actually I want a UFA vet in the box and Ford and the rest to compete for FS, along with incumbent Savage and hopefully a draft pick.

same with any ILB we add if they can't cover, there a 2 dn back up, and a liability even at that, pass coverage short center is in higher demand now then ever imo.

combine a week away + :mrgreen:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oh I like this little list. Not the double ACL-tear CB at the end, but the rest. A LB (Harrison) with experience in the system coming off of a backup role especially intrigues me as a low-budget depth signing with upside. And I've been on the Fuller train since the hiring.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

If we shop in FA I hope Gute looks at safety. Evidently this position isn't very strong in this draft class.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I think we wait until after the Combine and draft a 6' 190 lb CB who won't run quite fast enough to be drafted high as a CB but is a willing tackler and smart and has good hands. There is your single high safety. I don't think the Packers will find such a player in FA as they will get paid more as a CB or in the slot.

FA can be for the other holes, slot CB, ILB and swing OT. The Packers probably already have someone that can play the other safety position

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Feb 2024 12:40
I think we wait until after the Combine and draft a 6' 190 lb CB who won't run quite fast enough to be drafted high as a CB but is a willing tackler and smart and has good hands. There is your single high safety. I don't think the Packers will find such a player in FA as they will get paid more as a CB or in the slot.

FA can be for the other holes, slot CB, ILB and swing OT. The Packers probably already have someone that can play the other safety position
rarely ever is safety a walk on position, thats why it's best to find one with experience if ya need them to play right away, just to much to know, thats where our UFA dollars should be spent, I agree draft several, but a couple of stop gap safety's till the rookies are coached up seems like the smart way to go, same with slot CB

also if one of the better tackles is still around at slot 25 it would be hard to pass, Walker can play swing tackle or become a RG

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d consider it

Also not good news for Antoine Winfield hitting the market.

Bucs also got Mike Evans, Baker Mayfield, devin white and lavonte david to consider paying

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

There are a lot of quality safeties in this free agent year. It's hard to imagine not getting someone decent on the cheap.

FA Safeties with >500 snaps in 2023:
Eddie Jackson
Micah Hyde
Tracy Walker
Jordan Whitehead*
Jayron Kearse
Darnell Savage
Mike Edwards
Tashaun Gipson
Kareem Jackson
Xavier McKinney*
Kyle Dugger*
Deshone Elliott*
Geno Stone
Ryan Neal*
Julian Blackmon*
Jonathan Owens
K'Von Wallace*
Alohi Gilman*
Jordan Fuller*
Kamren Curl*

* is who I'd prioritize looking at

Then you have the injured with potentials"
Chuck Clark
CJ Gardener-Johnson
PJ Locke

And the rumored cuts:
Harrison Smith
Jamal Adams
Last edited by lake shark on 27 Feb 2024 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I voted Options 4 and 5. I think a "Smith Brothers special" at S makes a lot of sense. FA Safeties are a bargain.

I see no point in skimping and starting a Darnell Savage at S. Whatever money you save in going with him, you pay a far bigger price: back-breaking errors that cost you the game (and in the playoffs, that cost you your whole season).
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

MVS released by the Chiefs. Something about not wanting to pay him almost $12M next year.

It was nice that he got his TD in the Super Bowl. But I'm wondering if he still dropped more passes this year than ever.

I would absolutely NOT consider bringing him back to GB unless he wants to sign a one day contract.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

How much do you think a player like Zach Moss would cost? Would it make sense to replace Dillon with one of these free agent RBs? I really think you maximize Jones' impact by giving him a "thunder" counterpart. Or do we just draft Braelon Allen and consider it covered?