2024 Free Agent Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Offseason Strategy

Stick to the draft, we got guys to extend
3%
Fill a few holes here and there
23%
Maybe get a starter if the price is right.
20%
We desperately need a starter or two
27%
Where is muh Zadarius and Preston
7%
Shut up and just fix the site already
20%

Total votes: 30

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Has anybody been paying attention to the OT FA class? Just curious since it's so obvious to everybody that Bakhtiari is a surefire release candidate...yet he's still a Packer.

Could there be a market for Bakh with playing time incentives tied in similar to what Rodgers had built into his trade compensation?

Or....gasp!...are the Packers actually gonna hold onto him?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
11 Mar 2024 07:05
Has anybody been paying attention to the OT FA class? Just curious since it's so obvious to everybody that Bakhtiari is a surefire release candidate...yet he's still a Packer.

Could there be a market for Bakh with playing time incentives tied in similar to what Rodgers had built into his trade compensation?

Or....gasp!...are the Packers actually gonna hold onto him?
Tyrone Smith tops this list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024 ... up-top-10/

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

He is good and probably deserved this kind of money the last few years, but that is tough to give this to a 30 year old.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

This move makes zero sense for Chicago. Getting a safety who is on the wrong side of 30 and declining for very real money over the next two years? Bears have had near a record amount of cap space the last two years, their big moves so far involve signing two off-ball LB's, an old safety, and a couple of old TE's.

If it wasn't for being so bad to end up with the #1 pick last year and taking advantage of an even worse run team, they would very well be the team in the worst shape in the league.

Seems like a move to try to get to 7-8 wins this year so Poles and Eberflus can keep their jobs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 10:33
He is good and probably deserved this kind of money the last few years, but that is tough to give this to a 30 year old.

unless OL chop or cut there legs out DT's last well into there 30's, basically 3 years guaranteed and 2 more years of team options.

we'll be doing the same with Clark next year, right? hopefully a little cheaper, as long as he keeps playing like he did to end last season.

if you gots pass rush ability, you gonna make lots of moola :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 11:36
this is why I want to see positional dollar caps, with increases based on cap increases per position per year.

DT's now make what QB's did 5 years ago, Guards now make what DT's did 5 years ago, these contracts are destroying the ability to even hope to retaining a team, anyone even average wont be affordable for a 2nd contract.

we blame the players and there agents, but the owners are no better, there the ones writing the checks.

I think drastic changes are on the horizon for the next negotiation session.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
11 Mar 2024 11:16
BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 10:33

unless OL chop or cut there legs out DT's last well into there 30's, basically 3 years guaranteed and 2 more years of team options.

we'll be doing the same with Clark next year, right? hopefully a little cheaper, as long as he keeps playing like he did to end last season.

if you gots pass rush ability, you gonna make lots of moola :lol:
I hope the Packers will be able to retain Clark for significantly less money next offseason. While he has been a good player for a long time he's not an elite player like Chris Jones.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yes please

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Paired with McKinney?

Hell yeah! I'm on board!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't want to be debbie downer on a fun story especially because I genuinely don't know but--Is Hyde still good? Like, it's been 7 years. He's older; he's been released. Do we know?

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2024 16:09
I don't want to be debbie downer on a fun story especially because I genuinely don't know but--Is Hyde still good? Like, it's been 7 years. He's older; he's been released. Do we know?
Bills are in cap hell, Poyer looked completely washed last year Hyde was better. Never exactly an elite athlete to begin with.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I ran a Google search on Micah Hyde and looked through the sports blogosphere to get opinions of his recent play, mainly to find out if he is washed or has some tread left.

'Found this informative breakdown by an armchair-scout Buffalo fan, make of it what you will:
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/2 ... micah-hyde
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
14 Mar 2024 16:14
I ran a Google search on Micah Hyde and looked through the sports blogosphere to get opinions of his recent play, mainly to find out if he is washed or has some tread left.

'Found this informative breakdown by an armchair-scout Buffalo fan, make of it what you will:
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/2 ... micah-hyde
I'd take an informed fan evaluation over that of an ESPN talking head any day. Good find and share! :aok:

That said, much of what I understand of Hyde's game was highlighted in the breakdown. His awareness and reaction time to plays is still top notch while his physical attributes allow him to play competitive albeit with limitations. His recent injury history is worrisome, though. Neck injuries and safeties are triggering for GB fans.

Overall, it's a risk I'd be ok taking. I'd be quite happy to see him back in GB.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Some are saying the Hyde rumor is BS. But I hope its true!

So, are we trading for Lazard? What would it take? Lazard, a 1st and a 3rd for a half open jar of peanuts that has been sitting on my desk for 6 months?
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think Curtis Samuel to Buffalo is a sneaky good signing. He’s only 27 and has been marred by poor QB play the past two years. He’s better than his stat line suggests.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2024 16:09
Hyde missed most of the 2022 season with a neck injury. While he played in 14 games last season he didn't perform at the same level as before the injury.

I would still be fine with the Packers taking a chance on him on a reasonable deal.