Packers releasing DeVondre Campbell

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Packers releasing DeVondre Campbell

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I personally would have liked to just cut him outright. I prefer us to just take our cap penalties now and get free of all these void years and penalties for players that won’t be on the roster.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Mar 2024 19:43
I personally would have liked to just cut him outright. I prefer us to just take our cap penalties now and get free of all these void years and penalties for players that won’t be on the roster.
I think we need a D-Line and defensive backfield that rivals what the Packers fielded in 2010 before we start feeling comfortable about releasing serviceable linebackers. In short.........our defense needs an injection of quality free agents. Remember Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins and Howard Green?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Its basically no difference. We need to count money on the cap that we already paid him, the $$ don't change. Its just do it all now, or do some this year, some next year (with likely a higher cap). In a vacuum exactly the same with cap carryover, but gives us flexibility for this year if we so choose.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 Mar 2024 21:04
lupedafiasco wrote:
I think we need a D-Line and defensive backfield that rivals what the Packers fielded in 2010 before we start feeling comfortable about releasing serviceable linebackers. In short.........our defense needs an injection of quality free agents. Remember Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins and Howard Green?
Tough to point at 2010 as the source over truth. Sure there was Clay, but matched with Frank Zombo, Brad Jones, Erik Walden on the other side and Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Pickett and Howard Green. Not a group you actively try to mimic. Sure they came together at the right time and all basically exceeded their baseline plays, but I would argue what we got now is better? :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I mean you have two options:

1. Cut Campbell now and absorb all cap but then need to renogiate another contract
2. Cut Campbell now as a June 1 and not need to renogiate another contract

Either way we need to free up space to sign a safety and extend Love.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

go pak go wrote:
11 Mar 2024 10:43
lupedafiasco wrote:

1. Cut Campbell now and absorb all cap but then need to renogiate another contract

You have to realize that the Packers will have to carry Campbell's full cap hit until June 2 and won't benefit from the savings until then for the 2024 season.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

CWIMM wrote:
11 Mar 2024 10:57
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

You have to realize that the Packers will have to carry Campbell's full cap hit until June 2 and won't benefit from the savings until then for the 2024 season.
Which mostly covers the rookie cap hits, so we can go right up against the cap instead of leaving room. The difference in Pre-June and Post-June cut is $8 million in 2024 cap space.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 11 Mar 2024 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

CWIMM wrote:
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

So conveniently not sign rookie contracts until June 3.

Problem solved.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Sucks because I like him but was the correct move

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 11:27
CWIMM wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Which mostly covers the rookie cap hits, so we can go right up against the cap instead of leaving room. The difference in Pre-June and Post-June cut is $8 million in 2024 cap space.
True, the Packers can use that cap space for this season but have to be aware that there's another $8 million counting against their cap in 2025.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

His elite play window was short but, by god, it was good! Wish him the best!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Campbell's one good year showed us the value of a quality LB where for years this org did not take the position seriously. I am glad we got that out of his time here.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2024 21:40
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Tough to point at 2010 as the source over truth. Sure there was Clay, but matched with Frank Zombo, Brad Jones, Erik Walden on the other side and Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Pickett and Howard Green. Not a group you actively try to mimic. Sure they came together at the right time and all basically exceeded their baseline plays, but I would argue what we got now is better? :idn:
What?? Bishop, Hawk, Zombo and Matthews were the LBs I remember. Not the stiffs that you mentioned.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
16 Mar 2024 19:39
BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2024 21:40
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

What?? Bishop, Hawk, Zombo and Matthews were the LBs I remember. Not the stiffs that you mentioned.
Season opener featured Brad Jones and Clay outside with Hawk and Barnett inside. Jones and Barnett both ended up on IR.

Read More. Post Less.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

He had one great year. For that it was all worth it. After that injuries and excuses. The dude stayed on Twitter just barking. Idk seemed like he was more about poor me instead of getting better. His SF remarks show the same stuff. They didn't use me right.

Good luck I guess

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
16 Mar 2024 20:11
He had one great year. For that it was all worth it. After that injuries and excuses. The dude stayed on Twitter just barking. Idk seemed like he was more about poor me instead of getting better. His SF remarks show the same stuff. They didn't use me right.

Good luck I guess
I saw some of the stuff he recently posted on X on FF. If what he says was going on then thank god Barry is gone!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
17 Mar 2024 09:49
Backthepack4ever wrote:
16 Mar 2024 20:11

Good luck I guess
I saw some of the stuff he recently posted on X on FF. If what he says was going on then thank god Barry is gone!
I think everyone understood there was a visible disconnect between the defensive staff and players. Not surprising in the least.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/devondre- ... e-door-735

Click the link for the full story of Cammpbell's twitter rant this morning.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Though what Campbell was saying has some merit, the dude is also being ridiculous.

"I was All Pro when I listened to myself and not the coaches. I fell off in 2022 and 2023 because I tried to play "team ball" for the benefit of the scheme"

"We started playing better down the stretch because I went to Matt and said we need to blitz more and we played better when we started listening to me"

Good lord dude. Make sure you head fits through the door. The real fact is he has been in the league for 8 seasons and has pretty much stunk for 7 of them. But man he was great in 2021.
Yoop wrote: