Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Mar 2024 16:25
With the signing of Josh jacobs, the packers combined the players of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.
The worst attributes of both.

Read More. Post Less.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

NCF wrote:
12 Mar 2024 16:30
Drj820 wrote:
With the signing of Josh jacobs, the packers combined the players of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.
Really? :dunno:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

This move is reminding more and more of Charles Woodson. Everyone is like "ugh he sucks we overpaid him" and just wait till he dominates the next 2-3 years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't think anyone is saying Jacobs sucks. We're just having a value of RB contracts debate while also comparing him to the guy who did not suck who he is replacing on our roster

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Mar 2024 17:12
I don't think anyone is saying Jacobs sucks. We're just having a value of RB contracts debate while also comparing him to the guy who did not suck who he is replacing on our roster
Well [mention]NCF[/mention] seems like he is saying that...

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
12 Mar 2024 16:30
Drj820 wrote:
Comical reaction, Il give you that.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Madcity_matt wrote:
12 Mar 2024 17:13
YoHoChecko wrote:
Well @NCF seems like he is saying that...
I am saying he got way more than he should have from us compared to Jones.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

You gunna come into Lambeau in December/January and try to tackle this.

He already likes it here.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
12 Mar 2024 17:58
Madcity_matt wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
They got almost identical contacts from us at the same age...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Mar 2024 18:18
NCF wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

I just think Jones is a far superior back.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think Jacobs sucks at all. I just really think paying any type of RB is terrible.

I’m not sure how you can say Jones is a superior back. To this point he has just one pro bowl compared to Jacobs 2 and an All Pro bid despite Jones always having far superior offensive lines and surrounding weapons.

I think this is a lateral move in terms of talent but with Jacobs you have a player who can handle the load an entire season where Jones in no way can do that. Jones is getting paid significantly less because he is going to have to play significantly less.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 12 Mar 2024 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
12 Mar 2024 18:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Mar 2024 18:18
NCF wrote:

I just think Jones is a far superior back.
I can't agree with that. I think Jones is the better player and probably will be for 2024, but this isn't just about 2024. I like Jones ALOT, but this isn't swapping Christian McCaffrey for AJ Dillon.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Aaron Jones was absolutely ridiculous in 2023 down the stretch. Definitely skews our perception of Jones.

But there were absolutely times Jones disappeared.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think the usage has really skewed the debate. Jones was never USED like a bell cow. And now he's 29 and he was dinged up this past year (played all 17 in '22, though) and so using him as a bell cow sounds like a bad idea.

Jacobs is used like a bell cow. He's been very good at times and very regular at times. He's a volume player.

Jones has had better yards per carry consistently; Jones looks to create more from less more frequently. Jacobs has better total numbers and overall production.

I value better efficiency. Most backs aren't volume plays anymore; rotating your backfield to keep them fresh is part of the game; I don't see Jones' usage as a weakness so long as he does well when he's there. a career yards per carry of 5.0 is nuts. That's just rare. There is only one active RB better (Chubb--Jones beats Jonathan Taylor on rounding)

So yes, Jones is the superior player in my book. He elevates an offense more in my mind, while Jacobs does his job at a very high level but isn't special to me. I think we'll like him. He can do everything pretty well and if he isn't slowing down, he will have great results. He was also called the heartbeat of his team by his former coach and was credited as a positive force for keeping it together in-house during the chaos the past year. He's good.

It's his price tag and his comparison to Jones that makes me complain about it so much.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Off topic, but I wonder if AJ Dillon gets absolutely no traction anywhere else if we would have him back at vet minimum to be rb2 or even 3.

He might not fit in the roster buildout even for free, but he was a good guy that we drafted in 2nd round.

I also hear we really like manny Wilson
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BF004 wrote:
12 Mar 2024 11:02
Even if this isn't a fan favorite move, can we all agree that Josh Jacobs, with very low guaranteed money at $12m per is a significantly more impactful signing and better use of money than the Jags and Falcons spending $13m per on Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney?

I mean its an all-pro player coming off a franchise tag vs. two guys who had to fight for snaps on their team.

Keep drafting WR's forever, don't really ever wanna pay any open market prices while their numbers are so crazy right now. Happier to spend at RB and S to be honest.
I don't like the Packers to spend a significant amount of money on a running back. In my opinion it makes more sense to do that with a wide receiver or a safety. It's entirely possible the Jaguars and Falcons regret doing that on Davis and Mooney though.
Acrobat wrote:
12 Mar 2024 16:58
This move is reminding more and more of Charles Woodson. Everyone is like "ugh he sucks we overpaid him" and just wait till he dominates the next 2-3 years.
I honestly don't believe signing Jacobs will come anywhere close to have the same impact as brining in Woodson did.
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Mar 2024 19:27
I’m not sure how you can say Jones is a superior back. To this point he has just one pro bowl compared to Jacobs 2 and an All Pro bid despite Jones always having far superior offensive lines and surrounding weapons.
Jones has averaged 5.05 yards a carry in his career compared to 4.25 for Jacobs. That's a huge margin and supports the notion that Jones is the better player.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Mar 2024 21:24
I think the usage has really skewed the debate. Jones was never USED like a bell cow. And now he's 29 and he was dinged up this past year (played all 17 in '22, though) and so using him as a bell cow sounds like a bad idea.

Jacobs is used like a bell cow. He's been very good at times and very regular at times. He's a volume player.

Jones has had better yards per carry consistently; Jones looks to create more from less more frequently. Jacobs has better total numbers and overall production.

I value better efficiency. Most backs aren't volume plays anymore; rotating your backfield to keep them fresh is part of the game; I don't see Jones' usage as a weakness so long as he does well when he's there. a career yards per carry of 5.0 is nuts. That's just rare. There is only one active RB better (Chubb--Jones beats Jonathan Taylor on rounding)

So yes, Jones is the superior player in my book. He elevates an offense more in my mind, while Jacobs does his job at a very high level but isn't special to me. I think we'll like him. He can do everything pretty well and if he isn't slowing down, he will have great results. He was also called the heartbeat of his team by his former coach and was credited as a positive force for keeping it together in-house during the chaos the past year. He's good.

It's his price tag and his comparison to Jones that makes me complain about it so much

ditto :aok:

good point, we have platooned our RB's from the day we drafted Jones, and Jacobs has been used more as a feature RB, we learned with Jones that less amounts to more, platooning kept him fresher for plays he was given the ball, and platooning extended his career.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, Jones is the older RB, Jacobs used more, hope both do well unless Jones is playing against us, he was one of the better RB's and players the team has had.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Better in terms of personal preference is subjective. Some prefer what Jones brings to what Jacobs does. To each their own.

Objectively, Jacobs's 2022 campaign exceeds any season by Jones in terms of total offense. His peers ranked him #12 among the top players in the league after that season.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The one argument I can kinda feel is for Jones being better than Jacobs is that, even though Jacobs has shown he has a higher ceiling, that Jones may nonetheless be better for Green Bay. One of Jones's best attributes was the ability to making running lanes out of the smallest creases, which is valuable because our OL are not bullies in the running game.

On the flip side, MLF seems to want power at RB. He had Derrick Henry in TEN and we drafted AJ Dillon early in his tenure. The upshot of that is, it makes it harder for opposing teams to play light boxes and take LBs off the field for CBs. You could keep CBs on the field against 33.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto