Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

higher ceiling is very debatable, Jacobs has never had a 5.0 YPC average, his 22 season required 347 touches to accomplish, Jones got 1140 with 130 less touches in his best and held a higher average.

It's a done deal now, and I'am OK with it.

just that people are down playing who and what kind of player Jones is and has been to support this swap to Jacobs, to me this as much a mind blower as that trade of Rasul Douglas last year.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Both are really good backs. Jacobs gives us a little more of a thumper. As has been mentioned, I think Jacobs makes it harder to go light in the box, and if a D wants to keep it's base in then our dynamic receiver corps should be able to absolutely eat.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
13 Mar 2024 09:19
higher ceiling is very debatable,
I was referring to how much total offense they have proven in the past they are capable of producing. Jacobs's production is higher, and his peers see him as a better player.
Jacobs has never had a 5.0 YPC average,
It is easy to have a high YPC when you are lightly used. That is why RB2s and other change-of-pace 'backs tend to have a higher YPC than the starting RB, yet the starter is still considered better. On that note, let us look at Yards Per GAME...

Jones's three best seasons: 79, 68, 66 (rounding to the nearest).
Jacobs's three best seasons: 97, 88.5, 71.
his 22 season required 347 touches to accomplish, Jones got 1140 with 130 less touches in his best and held a higher average.
And like 600 fewer yards of offense.

More to the point, Jones does not have the stamina for 130 more touches. So when you say Jacobs only achieved it because he got more carries, you are making the point. He can DO that. Jones cannot. If you can get the ball more, you can make more plays, hence higher ceiling.

just that people are down playing who and what kind of player Jones is and has been to support this swap to Jacobs,
No, people are downplaying what kind of player Jacobs to make themselves feel worse about losing Jones and commiserate more.

Wallowing is a favorite pastime of Packers Huddle dot com. :bigcry:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
13 Mar 2024 10:19
Yoop wrote:
13 Mar 2024 09:19
higher ceiling is very debatable,
I was referring to how much total offense they have proven in the past they are capable of producing. Jacobs's production is higher, and his peers see him as a better player.
Jacobs has never had a 5.0 YPC average,
It is easy to have a high YPC when you are lightly used. That is why RB2s and other change-of-pace 'backs tend to have a higher YPC than the starting RB, yet the starter is still considered better. On that note, let us look at Yards Per GAME...

his 22 season required 347 touches to accomplish, Jones got 1140 with 130 less touches in his best and held a higher average.

More to the point, Jones does not have the stamina for 130 more touches. So when you say Jacobs only achieved it because he got more carries, you are making the point. He can DO that. Jones cannot. If you can get the ball more, you can make more plays, hence higher ceiling.

just that people are down playing who and what kind of player Jones is and has been to support this swap to Jacobs,
No, people are downplaying what kind of player Jacobs to make themselves feel worse about losing Jones and commiserate more.

Wallowing is a favorite pastime of Packers Huddle dot com. :bigcry:

Jacobs's three best seasons: 97, 88.5, 71. what do these number represent?

Jones had almost 1600 yrds his best season, Jacobs had 1900 plus, where are you getting those other near 300 yrds?

you also are speculating that Jones wouldn't have held up to more carries, when actually Jones also produced when we did give him plus 20 a game.

again more made up stuff to say Jacobs is the better option, he may be, we'll see.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Labrev wrote:

Jones averaged 193 carries a season over the past five years. I don't consider that to be lightly used.
Labrev wrote:
While a lot has been made of the Raiders' offensive line being a mess in 2023 it doesn't explain why Jacobs only ranked 43rd out of 45 running backs in yards after contact.

Another thing I'm worried about is that Zamir White did significantly better starting the last four games for the Raiders behind the same offensive line, averaging 4.73 yards per attempt on 84 carries.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jacobs was 26th in yards after contact in 2023: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm
In 2022 he was 1st in that metric: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm

A &%$@ show of an offense where the defense doesn't respect the pass could account for the change.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

considering my adoration and luv for Aaron Jones I've decided to be as negative as possible concerning Jacobs our replacement for Aaron (heart throb) Jones, :bigcry: who now will take revenge on us twice per season :bigcry:

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Yoop wrote:
14 Mar 2024 08:47
considering my adoration and luv for Aaron Jones I've decided to be as negative as possible concerning Jacobs our replacement for Aaron (heart throb) Jones, :bigcry: who now will take revenge on us twice per season :bigcry:
I loved Aaron Jones right up until he ran straight to our rival and signed immediately to a discounted deal. "Packer through and through" is just a costume.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

I hate losing a great back who knew the O front to back and could free lance chip and still get into the pattern. I was optimistic that our new trainers could keep his hammies in shape. Hopefully the vikes will hire our old trainers to keep continuity with AJ's old training routine. But he's gone to the enemy. :swear:

I'm optimistic that Jacobs can come in and provide the complement to our soon to be Lombardi hoisting QB! :woohoo:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

mnkcarp wrote:
14 Mar 2024 10:08
Yoop wrote:
I loved Aaron Jones right up until he ran straight to our rival and signed immediately to a discounted deal. "Packer through and through" is just a costume.
right, he became spiteful, and went to the Vikes to gain revenge, took less money to do it, down deep he hates us :rotf:

I sure would have liked to watch both in our backfield for a year or two, I still want to take one of the best in this draft.

I use to rather a bell cow 25 touch a game RB, platooning though can keep 2 backs fresher and hopefully pro long there careers, so matching Jacobs with another like him seems like a win, win to me. :mrgreen:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

mnkcarp wrote:
14 Mar 2024 10:08
Yoop wrote:
You mean right after the Packers tried to get him to take a massive pay cut after taking a sizable one the year before? Sorry, but I don’t blame him at all! I blame the Packers for trying to low-ball the man who was the Packers true MVP in their playoff run.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't hold any ill will towards Jones for going to Minny but I find it really stupid, if he is trying to win a chip.

If he just went to the highest bidder though, fair enough.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

With regards to the Packers asking Jones to take a pay cut, recall that he got hurt again at the end of the 49ers' game and would've been questionable for the NFCCG had they pulled out a win. If Gute already had lingering concerns about Jones being too injury prone, that would just reinforce the narrative.

https://www.packers.com/news/inbox-noth ... still-2024
Mike Spofford: I hope for Jones' sake his body holds up, because it was one thing or another last year, and he hurt himself again on the final play of the SF playoff game (it's on the film). I'm not entirely sure Jones would've been available had the Packers played the following week in Detroit.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Bukowski had the locked on Raiders host today to talk some Jacobs. Some pretty good stuff in there. Not denying the heart and soul stuff from Aaron Jones, but from all accounts Josh Jacobs is that dude too off the field and in the locker room.

Can't never just replace what Aaron Jones meant to the team, community, locker room, but sounds like we are getting a total A+ human being in all facets as well.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Mar 2024 08:22
Jacobs was 26th in yards after contact in 2023: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm
In 2022 he was 1st in that metric: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm

A &%$@ show of an offense where the defense doesn't respect the pass could account for the change.
I was obviously talking about yards after contact per attempt, which makes much more sense than evaluating the total amount.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

There is a clip of him on the the Packers' website and it sounds like he is happy to be in GB. :packers:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
17 Mar 2024 09:52
There is a clip of him on the the Packers' website and it sounds like he is happy to be in GB. :packers:
What you didn’t see is the ending that Packers PR cut off where he said he wasn’t happy.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I liked Jones. Great person and great player. The way Packers fans talk about him is like he was AP. Jacobs will be a better back simply because of availability and consistency from a play to play perspective.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Mar 2024 10:55
I liked Jones. Great person and great player. The way Packers fans talk about him is like he was AP. Jacobs will be a better back simply because of availability and consistency from a play to play perspective.
That sums up how most of us feel. Time will tell.

But I think Jones made a bad decision. With a poor passing attack it is likely that Jones will be over-used and end his career with an injury. He is not big enough to take that kind of beating and his strength is as a receiver with YAC - which isn't going to work with a below average QB.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I guess I just find it strange/convenient that for years we complained that coaches haven't utilized Jones enough and now we have a back who coaches probably utilized too much and we act as though their utilization is an inherent trait of each player, not decisions and load management done by coaches.

I don't think that the past utilization tells us a lot about the health and availability of either guy--past or future.