Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pretty much…
Attachments
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_0247.jpeg (272.57 KiB) Viewed 302 times

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

APB wrote:
11 Mar 2024 22:55
Pretty much…
LOL. I was super pumped at first thinking it would be a perfect situation for a 50/50 split. Jones still explosive last we saw a couple months ago, but not having to carry a full work load and maybe keeping him fresher, and maybe healthier. Then Jacobs revitalizing himself in an offense that has a clue and an offensive line. Jacobs really replacing Dillon. Now I hear the Vikings may try to sign Jones which would fry my ass. However, the Vikings have serious QB issues so they are basically a non factor at this point.

BTW. The Raiders managed to make Davante Adams look like a D grade WR last year. Maybe not apples to apples but that team made everyone look horrible last year. That was one of the Packer losses that pissed me off the most.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

For comparison sake D'Andre Swift signed a 3 year, $24 Million contract with $14 million guaranteed at signing. We got Jacobs on a 4 year, $48 million deal with $12.5 million guaranteed at signing. I'm pretty, meh, on this deal after losing Jones, but the contract is pretty team friendly.

I adore Jones, but this is a shrewd move. Not one I would have necessarily made, but I get it even if I don't really like it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

After two years jacibsxwill be released and Gutey will eat a big dead cap hit

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

$6.25 million in dead cap, not particularly large.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

I don't consider Jacobs to be an upgrade over Jones and the Packers didn't save any money or cap space by those moves. Therefore I don't understand the reasoning behind it and definitely don't like it.

There's hope Jacobs is capable of getting back to performing at the same level he did in 2022 but I'm not convinced by it. On top of that there's no way of knowing how much Jones will be missed as a leader in the locker room nor if Jacobs can assume a similar role.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I wouldn’t say Jacobs is an upgrade but I do believe you are getting more for your money. Jones has injuries and you always had to load manage him. Jacobs is a bell cow you can run into the ground if you wanted. He’s also good in all situations. He’s a pass blocker, good receiver, can run short yardage and break big ones.

Loved Jones but it was logical at his cost to move on. I had said it all season long. That being said it is still beyond stupid to pay any RB double digits per season. It’s like paying new car price for a used car.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I guess Jacobs and McKinney were at ‘Bama together in ‘17 and ‘18.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Mar 2024 06:41
I wouldn’t say Jacobs is an upgrade but I do believe you are getting more for your money. Jones has injuries and you always had to load manage him. Jacobs is a bell cow you can run into the ground if you wanted. He’s also good in all situations. He’s a pass blocker, good receiver, can run short yardage and break big ones.

Loved Jones but it was logical at his cost to move on. I had said it all season long. That being said it is still beyond stupid to pay any RB double digits per season. It’s like paying new car price for a used car.
paying RB's is all about production, yes rookies come in and do well every season, but it's still a gamble, a proven RB, that does everything well will always be in demand

We've never given Jones the touches the Raiders gave Jacobs, on 211 touches Jones produced 1120 yrds (best rushing season 2022) Jacobs needed 340 touches to get his 1600 yrds.

to me Guty is worried as you seem to be with the ability of Jones to stay healthy, because at there peak last season Jones had better production, has always been the better RB, always did as well or better given snap count, Jacobs imo is a high mileage RB, and just as likely to be injured, but thats jmo.

to me Jacobs is a stop gap, and we'll take our futures feature back in this draft class, besides it makes sense to, we are a platoon RB system, so Jacobs and the draft pick will split touches, we haven't depended on one RB to carry the load since Eddie Lacy.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The Raiders OL is hot garbage. They also have no QBs and Jacobs just came off of a banner year, so of course opposing teams prioritized taking him away over anything else.

And the dysfunction in that org was rampant. Again, the stories about how bad it was under McDaniels are WILD.

Interim HC Antonio Pierce helped right ship, but he's a D guy; he was not going to fix the issues in the run game on O.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah I don’t think the lack of production in last years dumpster fire is a legit concern. But I DO think that a RB with as many touches as Jacobs has had the past three years is ALWAYS a second contract risk. He genuinely could wear out much more quickly than expected. Or he could be very good for another 4 years.

I think if he disappoints this year, we can wonder if part of his down year in 2023 was due to accumulating wear and tear. But we can’t look at 2023 and predict that it will work out that way because there were too many other legitimate limiting factors to his production

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Mar 2024 09:45

looks like our OL the first 6 games last season

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Mar 2024 10:12
But I DO think that a RB with as many touches as Jacobs has had the past three years is ALWAYS a second contract risk. He genuinely could wear out much more quickly than expected. Or he could be very good for another 4 years.

I think if he disappoints this year, we can wonder if part of his down year in 2023 was due to accumulating wear and tear.
I agree. It is a tough eval because you cannot tell how much of it is him versus the dysfunction around him, so I am definitely nervous about putting significant money on him.

Then again, I would also be pretty nervous about relying on Jones, an RB pushing 30 and with a smaller build. Jacobs at least is 26, will be in his 20s for the length of this contract. Younger players can recuperate from these rigors better, and he is also built to withstand punishment.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I also noticed, when looking at Jacobs's wikipedia page, that he was very lightly used in college, much more lightly than I thought.

So although Jacobs has carried the ball roughly 130 more times in the NFL, Jones toted the rock just over 400 more times in college (658 vs. 251). Jones also caught 70 more balls than Jacobs in the NFL, and about 25 more than him in college. :idn:

And again, Jones has this mileage while pushing 30, whereas Jacobs is still in his athletic prime.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Even if this isn't a fan favorite move, can we all agree that Josh Jacobs, with very low guaranteed money at $12m per is a significantly more impactful signing and better use of money than the Jags and Falcons spending $13m per on Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney?

I mean its an all-pro player coming off a franchise tag vs. two guys who had to fight for snaps on their team.

Keep drafting WR's forever, don't really ever wanna pay any open market prices while their numbers are so crazy right now. Happier to spend at RB and S to be honest.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Mar 2024 11:02
Even if this isn't a fan favorite move, can we all agree that Josh Jacobs, with very low guaranteed money at $12m per is a significantly more impactful signing and better use of money than the Jags and Falcons spending $13m per on Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney?

I mean its an all-pro player coming off a franchise tag vs. two guys who had to fight for snaps on their team.

Keep drafting WR's forever, don't really ever wanna pay any open market prices while their numbers are so crazy right now. Happier to spend at RB and S to be honest.
Yeah I really think the model needs to be mostly you pay people with All Pro/Pro Bowl potential and franchise cornerstones, and go rookie contracts for everyone else. The mid-tier starter contracts are getting really difficult to justify at most positions. Even Guard right now but very much WR

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
12 Mar 2024 09:58
The Raiders OL is hot garbage. They also have no QBs and Jacobs just came off of a banner year, so of course opposing teams prioritized taking him away over anything else.

And the dysfunction in that org was rampant. Again, the stories about how bad it was under McDaniels are WILD.

Interim HC Antonio Pierce helped right ship, but he's a D guy; he was not going to fix the issues in the run game on O.
I'd wager he'll feel like he died and went to heaven once he gets in GB. :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

There is a reason Gute targeted Jacobs .

He knows the line he played for, his carries, the dumpster fire around him.

My surprise is more how we treated Jones. Feel like 50% paycut is rough for a good soldier
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

With the signing of Josh jacobs, the packers combined the players of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23