Packers sign Xavier McKinney

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

yep

A
75%
B
25%
C
No votes
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 20

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Now THIS makes me excited for this defense! :aok:

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

go pak go wrote:
11 Mar 2024 16:17
Quite frankly I am good for FA. I will be okay with bottom dwellers or bargain shopping but really my only real priority this FA was Xavier McKinney.

We NEVER get the guy I actually want in FA. I think this might actually be the first time as we didn't even talk too much about Preston or Z'darius in March 2019 before it happened.
Great move by Gutekunst to sign the best free agent at a position of dire need. I don't believe the Packers are done in free agency with that move though, they still desperately need to add another veteran inside linebacker in my opinion.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I liked Spofford's response this morning on II. They didn't just sign an experienced vet to fill the hole at safety, they found a playmaker at possibly the most important position on Hafley's defense.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I like the idea of bringing back Jonathan Owens. I thought he was playing pretty good 'ball for us down the stretch. It just seemed like it was starting to click for him, and he may be on the cusp of taking that next step. He was poor as one of the two-high safeties but when we played him in the box, as we did when we needed to change things up to stop the run, he was actually quite good.

I like having him for his ST value, as a box safety, and as an emergency option as a LB.

In any case, we should add one more guy at S, even if it is "just" a bargain bin purchase.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Mar 2024 09:21
I like the idea of bringing back Jonathan Owens. I thought he was playing pretty good 'ball for us down the stretch. It just seemed like it was starting to click for him, and he may be on the cusp of taking that next step. He was poor as one of the two-high safeties but when we played him in the box, as we did when we needed to change things up to stop the run, he was actually quite good.

I like having him for his ST value, as a box safety, and as an emergency option as a LB.

In any case, we should add one more guy at S, even if it is "just" a bargain bin purchase.
2 dn plus ST's players are fine in limited quantity, Owen lacks the ability to track the ball, he's fine against the run, but poor in coverage, imo that makes him back up talent, so we absolutely need to improve the SS position if at all possible.

and we should be able to do so in this draft class, might be thin at the top, but there some decent prospects later from just brousing some positional draft boards.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 15:14

McKinney goes for $10 more than Savage, per year.
Addition by subtraction.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev wrote:

I'm good with this too. We also have Johnson and could still draft someone in Day 1 or 2 to complete the Safety position.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Labrev wrote:

Owens agreed to a deal with the Bears.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

A more readable format for the McKinney contract:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If he lives up to his potential, this is a contract you can mostly play out. Love it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Mar 2024 13:10
If he lives up to his potential, this is a contract you can mostly play out. Love it.
Yep, he’s in GB a minimum of 2 years based on cap/dead cap differential but the entire contract is palatable from a cap perspective if he maintains his elite level play.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
13 Mar 2024 14:48
YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Mar 2024 13:10
Yep, he’s in GB a minimum of 2 years based on cap/dead cap differential but the entire contract is palatable from a cap perspective if he maintains his elite level play.
Yeah. Those $8.5 M roster bonuses are almost sure to be converted as we go and likely with void years added, which will mildly annoy me, but isn’t a huge deal; but the cap is definitely palatable throughout given the growth trajectory.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I read that PFF graded him best coverage safety last year, whatever thats worth, seems the type player ya hope plays past his contract for the right price.

He's not fast, which means he reads and react without hesitation, I was surprised to read he runs 4.6, from watching a few vids he looks faster then that to me, as long as you react decisively the trade off of less speed is negligible, some of the best ever weren't speedsters either.

I know 17 seems a lot of money, it is, but what's the going rate for a guy likely to make game changing plays? I hope he asks for a raise in 2 years :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
13 Mar 2024 16:36
I read that PFF graded him best coverage safety last year, whatever thats worth, seems the type player ya hope plays past his contract for the right price.

He's not fast, which means he reads and react without hesitation, I was surprised to read he runs 4.6, from watching a few vids he looks faster then that to me, as long as you react decisively the trade off of less speed is negligible, some of the best ever weren't speedsters either.

I know 17 seems a lot of money, it is, but what's the going rate for a guy likely to make game changing plays? I hope he asks for a raise in 2 years :rotf:
Not just last year--over the course of the past 4 years!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

His 4.6 on the track is converting to a 4.2 on the field. Or we could hope.

;-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Ed Reed ran a 4.6
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

A 4.6 40 is plenty fast enough for a free safety so long as he’s instinctive and quick to react. McKinney is said to be both. Those traits combined will have him closing a lot of ground on balls thrown downfield.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If you didn’t already love her enough.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

There is a clip on the Packers' website and it sounds like McKinney is excited to be here.