Proposed kickoff changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Proposed kickoff changes

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

We need a separate thread about this:

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

I don't hate it.

Then again, my brain is stuck in the 1990s. I long for the days of Desmond Howard running one back to destroy the Patriots' will. :mrgreen:
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

If KO team can't move until ball is caught, this will end up with lots of returns to 35 yard line or more. So much for defense mattering.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
21 Mar 2024 16:48
I don't hate it.

Then again, my brain is stuck in the 1990s. I long for the days of Desmond Howard running one back to destroy the Patriots' will. :mrgreen:

when will I find time to pee, make a snack and cocktails, burn a blunt, that 10 minutes from score, to touch back and time for offenses to get back on the field was valuable dead time needed to fill those requirements, now I suppose I'll have to hit the pause button :rotf:

Kickoffs again will be important aspects of the game

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

I fully expect that rule to result in a lot more kickoffs being returned this upcoming season. I have no idea if that change will end up being a good one, but it might make watching preseason games a little bit more exciting.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I do appreciate the NFL attempting to make ST play relevant again. Pretty clear they recognize they went too far in their "safety" protocols when looking at how minimalized and unimpactful the kickoff play had become. Hell, if memory serves I believe only two players from last year even qualified at the minimum iteration number for kick return All-Pro voting. It had become an extension of the change-of-possession commercial break for all intent and purpose.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I’m torn on this because I like the result but I generally prefer roles being simplified to being made more elaborate and because I think the “move once touched” will be a tricky thing for players to execute and refs to enforce.

But I think I lean toward favorable

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I just hate that the kick-off has become a waste of time play. Much like the XP used to be. They successfully fixed the XP and I hope this is a positive step in fixing the kick-off.

They can always tweak the rules if this is an overcorrection, but for now, I like this better than the formality that the kick-off is currently.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don’t know what a better fix is, but I don’t like what we currently have, so I’d be up for giving it a try.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

never know till ya give it a try.

so proud that we kept having Nixon push that envelope, showing the NFL the currant situation was intolerable :clap: :clap: :clap:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
22 Mar 2024 07:00
I do appreciate the NFL attempting to make ST play relevant again. Pretty clear they recognize they went too far in their "safety" protocols when looking at how minimalized and unimpactful the kickoff play had become. Hell, if memory serves I believe only two players from last year even qualified at the minimum iteration number for kick return All-Pro voting. It had become an extension of the change-of-possession commercial break for all intent and purpose.
Make Kickoffs Great Again

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I don't hate that possible change.

Are the kicking team mandated to keep the ball in play then? (like 0 to 20 yard line
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

How do onsides kicks work?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Cdragon wrote:
22 Mar 2024 20:02
Good question. I imagine they'll be looking at the XFL's way:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -kickoffs/
That being said, if the XFL rule does get implemented, the NFL will have to make a second rule change, and that's because the XFL rule eliminates onside kicks. In the XFL, the kicking team is penalized if they don't kick it past the opponent's 20-yard line, which effectively makes onside kicks impossible. The XFL solved this problem by giving the teams the option of attempting a fourth-and-15 play from their own 25 to keep possession.

The NFL has actually considered implementing a similar rule over the past few years, but owners have yet to approve it.

If the owners aren't willing to approve the fourth-and-15 play, then they'll have to come up with something different because it won't be possible to attempt an onside kick if the NFL decides to utilize the XFL's kickoff rule.
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Cdragon wrote:
You have to declare you are doing it. Has to be 4th quarter and then I think alignment and rules revert to what is current in the NFL.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
24 Mar 2024 09:53
Cdragon wrote:
You have to declare you are doing it. Has to be 4th quarter and then I think alignment and rules revert to what is current in the NFL.
So the onside kick would revert to the impossible onside kick?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
24 Mar 2024 10:05
NCF wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
Oh I’m sure we will find a way to make it possible for the other team.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Mar 2024 10:29
go pak go wrote:
24 Mar 2024 10:05
NCF wrote:

Oh I’m sure we will find a way to make it possible for the other team.
Haven't yet.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

The competition committee made a tweak to the proposed rule with teams making touchbacks that go into the end zone on the fly come out to the 30-yard line, rather than the 35.
Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Mar 2024 18:43
Are the kicking team mandated to keep the ball in play then? (like 0 to 20 yard line
They aren't mandated to keep the ball in play but if the kick doesn't hit the landing zone between the receiving team's goal line and their 20-yard line they will start either on their own 30, 35 or 40-yard line.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

i've kind of given up caring too much. Whatever the $%@# rules are, tell me, and I'll decide if I like watching it anymore. or not. I like simple. Old rules were simple, but apparently what worked for the past 100+ years is too dangerous for today's tastes. I think they should just get serious about PEDS, but kickoffs are probably the most dangerous thing on earth for a football player and they must fix it.

as they add more rules, it's only a matter of time until it's just the eye in the sky calling the game. and since we've all known for a long time they can pretty much call a penalty on any given play at any given time. The illusion of fairness is going to be hard to maintain when it's just some man behind a curtain making the calls.