Packers signing Greg Joseph

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Packers signing Greg Joseph

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

That’s real cheap, certainly not a contract you are handing out if you are just expecting him to be the guy.

But real competition at the very least.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah that’s a perfectly valid competition signing. No more no less

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

More good news from Titletown!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Well besides putting them through the uprights, kickers have to be able to place the ball in the "landing zone" on kickoffs now as well. Glad to have some competition at the very least. Wouldn't surprise me if Carlson won out, but I'm fine either way.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

It's said that he's automatic within the 40. And he has the leg to compete with almost anybody.

He won't be worse than Carlson. And he might be better. He won't be a toss up on XPs either.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Mar 2024 18:51
It's said that he's automatic within the 40. And he has the leg to compete with almost anybody.

He won't be worse than Carlson. And he might be better. He won't be a toss up on XPs either.
Well, over the last three seasons all kickers have combined to make 95.1% of field goals within 40 yards. Therefore it should be expected from an NFL kicker to be almost automatic from that distance.

With that being said, I like the signing of Joseph. He will at least provide some real competition for Carlson.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Mar 2024 11:36
More good news from Titletown!
new kicker from the north, my question is, why the heck didn't they also make a move on the vickies long snapper :rotf:

the kicking process starts with hiking the ball, everything relies on that. :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Carlson missed 5 Extra Points in 2023 on 39 attempts.

Joseph also sucks at Extra Points.

2021 - missed 4 Extra Points on 40 attempts
2022 - missed 6 extra points on 46 attempts
2023 - missed 2 Extra Points on 38 attempt

Jospeh also has progressively gotten worse at kicks beyond 40 yards

2023 - 54%
2022 - 61%
2021 - 78%

It's a good cheap contract for competition. But I don't think this guy is an automatic upgrade. Vikings fans hated Joseph - and he's a dome kicker. They were super jealous we had Crosby.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Joseph isn’t the kicker many seem to believe he is. He’s barely at Carlson’s level, and getting statistically worse by the year. I think Carlson is gonna surprise a lot of you hatin’ non-believers this year when he’s booting on opening weekend.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

This is decent competition but nowhere near the level of championship kicker we would want for this season. I think this is simply to put pressure of Carlson and hope it helps him improve.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
27 Mar 2024 14:38
Joseph isn’t the kicker many seem to believe he is. He’s barely at Carlson’s level, and getting statistically worse by the year. I think Carlson is gonna surprise a lot of you hatin’ non-believers this year when he’s booting on opening weekend.
I have no doubt Gute will stick with Carlson. I also have no doubt it will be a mistake.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2024 11:24
Vikings fans hated Joseph - and he's a dome kicker. They were super jealous we had Crosby.
There was no reason for that though.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
From watching Vikings games here and there... obviously twice a year against us, I had a higher opinion of Greg Joseph than his stats would suggest. I thought he was a pretty decent kicker and was surprised Minnesota made no effort to retain him. I do think he is perfect competition for Carlson, but I also fully expect Carlson to be the last man standing and hopefully all the better for it.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

CWIMM wrote:
28 Mar 2024 06:33
go pak go wrote:
Vikings fans hated Joseph - and he's a dome kicker. They were super jealous we had Crosby.
You can't be on the pulpit saying Anders Carlson needs to go with an 82% FG percentage and 5 missed extra points while saying MN fans had no reason to complain about Joseph who was 79% and 6 missed extra points in 2022.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
28 Mar 2024 07:48
CWIMM wrote:
28 Mar 2024 06:33
go pak go wrote:
You can't be on the pulpit saying Anders Carlson needs to go with an 82% FG percentage and 5 missed extra points while saying MN fans had no reason to complain about Joseph who was 79% and 6 missed extra points in 2022.
I read his response as no reason to be jealous of Crosby which earns a :lombardi: from me.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Why hasn’t [mention]Raptorman[/mention] chimed in yet?

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

APB wrote:
Your right about Joseph. One problem is the last time we saw Carlson was in the playoff game against the niners and we know what happened. That sort of thing sticks in fans minds. Carlson just seems to be average kicker in my book.

Next years first game if we are attempting a game ending 45 yard field goal to win, I won't have a ton of confidence he nails it. Hopefully he turns into something better than average.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

MY_TAKE wrote:
30 Mar 2024 06:37
APB wrote:
Your right about Joseph. One problem is the last time we saw Carlson was in the playoff game against the niners and we know what happened. That sort of thing sticks in fans minds. Carlson just seems to be average kicker in my book.

Next years first game if we are attempting a game ending 45 yard field goal to win, I won't have a ton of confidence he nails it. Hopefully he turns into something better than average.
At this point, I can't say I have a lot of confidence in Carlson either. What I do have, though, is a belief young players tend to get better with age and good coaching.

Yeah, Carlson left much to be desired in his rookie year but I also saw moments of success that, if he can build on consistency, would make him an asset. He's got the talent, now he just needs to perform as a consistent pro.

Joseph? He's been around long enough now that we can make some judgments. And they're mostly negative.