Class Breakdowns - Off Ball LB

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Class Breakdowns - Off Ball LB

Post by NCF »

Who do you like and why?

The Beast:
image.png
image.png (218.58 KiB) Viewed 326 times
CHTV:
image.png
image.png (60.22 KiB) Viewed 326 times

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I started watching highlights of these top guys to figure out which one fits in GB and, to be honest, I really like all of the top guys. I expected to like Junior Colson more than I did, but in the end came away liking Trevin Wallace and Payton Wilson a lot more.

I think these are all 2nd/3rd-round guys and if I had to rank them right now, I would go:

Cooper
Wallace

Wilson
Colson

Gray

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Trevin Wallace highlights:

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I haven't gone super deep into the LBs. I only know the top guys. Colson looks like he could be a nice MIKE and/or SAM for us, based on Jeremiah's write-up on him. DJ has him as a Top-50 prospect. Good run defender, can blitz, gets the job done against the pass.

Cooper feels a lot like Quay, maybe a better version of him. I don't mind having another Quay, I guess, just not sure who you play at MIKE or SAM in that case.

Similarly, Trotter feels a lot like McDuffie, who notably is in the last year of his rookie deal, so we can use a replacement. Both are smallish and just adequate athletes. At LB, I relax my usual need for great athletes, IQ and instincts are a prerequisite to having any success. But I do not value a McDuffie type of LB higher than Round 5 (we got McDuffie in Round 7).

I love Payton Wilson. I am willing to take the risk. If not for the injury history, we would probably be doubting our ability to draft him at 25. The highest picks go to freak athletes with good athleticism. I will gladly take short-term elite production and playmaking ability for a team in a SB window over production on a second or third contract.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

A super sleeper I like a lot at LB is LSUs Omar Speights.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I like Wilson a lot, wish he had better knees.

I feel like the Packers will like him too (other than his knees).

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Cooper is more explosive and makes bigger plays, but feel like its so rare to just see him play 4-5 yards off ball and just play LB and/or drop into a middle zone. Just never see it. Can he do it? Maybe. Would like to see more.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think they are all better athletes than they have been given credit for, but Wilson has a super weird body type.

Wilson
image.png
image.png (18.15 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Wallace
image.png
image.png (18.15 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Cooper
image.png
image.png (18.08 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Colson

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2024 11:23
Cooper is more explosive and makes bigger plays, but feel like its so rare to just see him play 4-5 yards off ball and just play LB and/or drop into a middle zone. Just never see it. Can he do it? Maybe. Would like to see more.
I was thinking the same. Wallace has more of it in the video I posted. All of them blitz a ton, though. Not surprising given the college game, but yeah, how do you then determine if they can really play the position in the NFL?

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
11 Apr 2024 11:26
BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2024 11:23
I was thinking the same. Wallace has more of it in the video I posted. All of them blitz a ton, though. Not surprising given the college game, but yeah, how do you then determine if they can really play the position in the NFL?
And if you can't, you are about as valuable as a run stuffing only NT or a backup RTO.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Apr 2024 11:01
A super sleeper I like a lot at LB is LSUs Omar Speights.
Speights is my favorite Rd 6/ Rd7 flier.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I’ve been digging through The Beast myself for LB prospects I didn’t know as well and have a handful of sleeper candidates whose profiles I like for us for various reasons.

Olofushio, Washington
Bertrand, Notre Dame
Knight, UTEP
Ford, Texas

I’m souring on Payton Wilson, an early favorite of mine, because I think his draft stock has gone too high. I don’t like him before pick 80 or so. His injury risk, lack of change of direction on film, and limited take-on versus run-and-chase just doesn’t merit an early pick.

I really want someone who can cover and blitz with high level instincts and reads in their overall game. Blitz/rush ability is the first thing for me to drop on my wish list.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

I'm not watching a whole lot of college football so I don't know much about the prospects entering the draft. I like Colson's personal story though, therefore I'm rooting for to end up as an impact player for the Packers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

1 "draftable" guy over 240. That is crazy to me. Sign of the times. That said I would be wary of drafting a guy under 230 in the first 3 rounds. Not picking Colson in round 1, but hope he falls in 2?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I'm not opposed to Colson with our late 2nd. I think its not awful value but I think he isnt the type of LB you really want in the league right now. You want the Fred Warner types that can just fly around the field. Im not quite sure Colson is that type of athlete but he is the most physical IMO of this entire class at LB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Interesting little nugget I had passed over on Trevin Wallace:

image.png
image.png (140.06 KiB) Viewed 150 times

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hard feelings?

Water under the bridge?

Hard to tell if this is a positive or a negative, leaning more towards the latter perhaps? I dunno.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
22 Apr 2024 09:06
Hard feelings?

Water under the bridge?

Hard to tell if this is a positive or a negative, leaning more towards the latter perhaps? I dunno.
Same. He was a Top-30 visit, though, so odds are they hashed it out one way or the other.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Some possible Safety-to-LB conversions:

James Williams, Miami 6042, 231, 4.64
Dominick Hampton, Washington 6023,213, 4.45 (add weight)
Jaylon Carlies, Missouri 6026, 227, 4.50

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Apr 2024 19:05
Some possible Safety-to-LB conversions:

James Williams, Miami 6042, 231, 4.64
Dominick Hampton, Washington 6023,213, 4.45 (add weight)
Jaylon Carlies, Missouri 6026, 227, 4.50
That's part of what intrigues me. Could be a versatile piece for the defense in Hafley's scheme.