Class Breakdowns - Safety

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Class Breakdowns - Safety

Post by NCF »

Who do you like and why?

The Beast

image.png
image.png (252.64 KiB) Viewed 361 times

CHTV

image.png
image.png (58.2 KiB) Viewed 361 times

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I have come around lately on Cole Bishop. I think he is the pairing we want/need with McKinney and still has enough versatility as a do-it-all kind of prospect.

image.png
image.png (163.07 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Cole Bishop is the only guy I like, and is S #1 for me, albeit less because of how great he is and more due to how wretched this S class is.

The GA kids are both solid but too undersized to get real enthusiastic about them. Mustapha, DTD, and Oladapo are intriguing mid-round targets.

Otherwise yeah, extremely underwhelming S class. I think we should go back to the FA bargain bin. Kinchens and Nubin are un-draftable to me after those workouts. Nubin might not be as bad as the tests say; I think the injury recovery may have been a complicating factor. The problem is, we have nothing else to go off of than those numbers. If he was not 100%, he should not have tested.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Cole Bishop and Jaden Hicks would be my two targets for someone who could come in and maybe start.

Two mid-late rounders I like are Evan Williams are Jaylon Carlies.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also, Cooper DeJean changes all of this based on what he does and how teams view him.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

As a late round flier, I'm intrigued by Missouri safety Jaylon Carlies.

He's got the size, length, and speed necessary for the position. What he reportedly lacks is play recognition and a full understanding of route concepts, which is coachable. Scouts say he's an aggressive tackler and has some ball skills. Has the mindset of a LB type player.

Carlies isn't somebody I'd expect to step in and play in year one but he's intriguing enough to snag in the late rounds and see what you can do with him.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Oh yeah, I kinda see Cooper DeJean as a Safety for us.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cole Bishop is my guy. Love the physicality he brings while also having enough range to be passable when needed as free safety.

I hoped we could land him in Round 3 but I think he doesn't last Round 2.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I agree on Cole Bishop because he could play either Safety. Take him at #41
But if Cooper DeJean could be drafted at 25 (or move up to say #21) then base could be a 4-1-6 with Walker as the only ILB, Alexander and Valentine/Stokes as outside CB's, McKinney as single high safety and both DeJean, Nixon and Bishop as inside CB's.

A lot depends on Stokes and how much he has lost. If he can't start or be the primary backup outside CB, the Packers have to draft a CB high. If it is DeJean, he has to play outside CB.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Stokes, imo has zero impact on plans and won’t be resigned outside of an AJ Dillon-esque contract. We just can’t play with those injuries even if he has a good year or we’ll end up like we did with Nick Perry. Great if he had a good year, he helped us. Let someone else make the mistake, we’ll take the comp pick and plan on needing a long term CB option.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I haven't scouted these guys. But I would mention expectations. Are we expecting a 1st/2nd round guy to be picked and be a very good Safety? Or are we satisfied with something just a little bit less? Do we need great or is good good enough?

With what we had last year, I think that good will be good enough. If we don't get DeJean or one of the top 2 or 3 guys, then who is a tier behind them that could still be good? With McKinney, we just need a guy who can do adequate TE coverage, is a reliable tackler, and can offer adequate pass coverage. Which guys do that? I'd even consider a bridge guy for a year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
12 Apr 2024 12:25
Cole Bishop is my guy. Love the physicality he brings while also having enough range to be passable when needed as free safety.

Bishop at 58 has been stuck in my head a ton (even though I picked Hicks over him for the Packers in the group mock)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Apr 2024 18:16
go pak go wrote:

Bishop at 58 has been stuck in my head a ton (even though I picked Hicks over him for the Packers in the group mock)
Both are very similar players in my mind. And it's why I hope one of them lasts to Round 3.

I just think we can spend better resources at 41 and even 58 than a top safety so I am hoping to get one these guys in Rd 3. Even if it means trade up in Rd 3.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2024 08:34
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Both are very similar players in my mind. And it's why I hope one of them lasts to Round 3.

I just think we can spend better resources at 41 and even 58 than a top safety so I am hoping to get one these guys in Rd 3. Even if it means trade up in Rd 3.
well with so many teams selling there expensive or soon to be expensive 2nd contract safeties I really doubt Hicks or Bishop or some others will be around at slot 58, heck I have my doubts they'll be there at slot 41, and we absolutely need one of em, safety's still our highest need position in this draft class.

Heck Super Blogger Andy Herman just said so in his podcast, and no one argues with the super blogger :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
15 Apr 2024 11:01
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

well with so many teams selling there expensive or soon to be expensive 2nd contract safeties I really doubt Hicks or Bishop or some others will be around at slot 58, heck I have my doubts they'll be there at slot 41, and we absolutely need one of em, safety's still our highest need position in this draft class.

Heck Super Blogger Andy Herman just said so in his podcast, and no one argues with the super blogger :rotf:
It's not the end of the world if a safety doesn't fall to us. There are plenty on the FA scrap heap still available.

Ideally I would like one but we don't have to overreach for one. I'm not in love with this safety class.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

DeJean or bust in round 1 for "safeties?" Looks like his future may be SS?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2024 12:32
DeJean is the only player who has safety possibility as a round 1 grade for me yes.

I would be very happy with DeJean as a selection. Think he has the physicality to play SS but the speed to cover as a nickle. My one real concern with him is his twitchness. I think he could struggle covering your "quick" slot WRs

But overall I really like DeJean for GB because I could see him play up to 4 positions for us. We haven't had a player like that in the secondary since Micah Hyde and before that Charles Woodson.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
15 Apr 2024 12:38
Pckfn23 wrote:
DeJean is the only player who has safety possibility as a round 1 grade for me yes.

I would be very happy with DeJean as a selection. Think he has the physicality to play SS but the speed to cover as a nickle. My one real concern with him is his twitchness. I think he could struggle covering your "quick" slot WRs

But overall I really like DeJean for GB because I could see him play up to 4 positions for us. We haven't had a player like that in the secondary since Micah Hyde and before that Charles Woodson.
Everything I read says tight hips??
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2024 12:41
go pak go wrote:
15 Apr 2024 12:38
Pckfn23 wrote:

Everything I read says tight hips??
Correct. Great speed. Poor agility. I think he can get away with covering RBs and TEs in the middle of the field but I do think he will struggle against the "quick" slot WR
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Apr 2024 12:27
Yoop wrote:
15 Apr 2024 11:01
go pak go wrote:

It's not the end of the world if a safety doesn't fall to us. There are plenty on the FA scrap heap still available.

Ideally I would like one but we don't have to overreach for one. I'm not in love with this safety class.
why would you think either is a reach at slot 41? I suppose some draft guru told you that? it's hogwash, value is determined on how that player performs in the fit designed by that DC, and both Hicks and Bishop fit both 2 high and SS.

also our goal is not to pay another safety FA money, where already paying more for the position then we have in, forever, we also may have to use UFA on a ILB.

my point is we can't stock every position with UFA, and we can't afford to miss out on the best fits in Hafley's new defense.