2024 Draft Day 1 Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Day 1

Poll ended at 26 Apr 2024 05:14

Dejean
54%
Barton
23%
Guyton
No votes
Kool-Aid
8%
Mims
No votes
Trade up
No votes
Trade down
15%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 13

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2024 23:55
Its kind of a proven model. It worked out great with Aaron and now seemingly Jordan Love. Could argue that maybe they (Falcons) could have traded down and still got him, but thats always a gamble (and you need a partner) if you really think he could be your next big thing.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

MY_TAKE wrote:
26 Apr 2024 05:38
paco wrote:
Its kind of a proven model. It worked out great with Aaron and now seemingly Jordan Love. Could argue that maybe they (Falcons) could have traded down and still got him, but thats always a gamble (and you need a partner) if you really think he could be your next big thing.
We've proven time and again that model works! Makes sense that other teams started copying it (used to be the old way). Granted, they still did things a bit differently. You don't usually get and pay your old guy and get your rookie at the same time! Your rookie is usually a few years younger too.

I read after the draft that several other teams tried to trade up for Penix as well. Seems the NFL was much higher on him than everyone else was.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

MY_TAKE wrote:
26 Apr 2024 05:30
If Cooper Dejean slides a bit in the top of the 2nd, do we have enough juice to go up and take him? I have no idea how likely this is, but it crossed my mind.

Who are some guys left anyone likes if we stand at 41 that may still be there?
We have tons of juice! No issues trading up anywhere, if we want to.

So many guys left. Just to name a few (and these are only guys left under 50 on the consensus boards)
DeJean
Kool-Aid
Keon Coleman
Ennis Rakestraw
Edgerrin Cooper
Tyler Nubin
Sainristil
Zach Frazier
Suamataia
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
26 Apr 2024 07:08
MY_TAKE wrote:
26 Apr 2024 05:38
paco wrote:
We've proven time and again that model works! Makes sense that other teams started copying it (used to be the old way). Granted, they still did things a bit differently. You don't usually get and pay your old guy and get your rookie at the same time! Your rookie is usually a few years younger too.

I read after the draft that several other teams tried to trade up for Penix as well. Seems the NFL was much higher on him than everyone else was.
the kid can really spin the ball, needs some refinement, but with some coaching up could be as good as Williams or anyone taken in this draft, to me Atlanta did all of this the right way, brought in a good vet with Cousins which will allow a couple season to groom up Penix, that gets a A+ from me.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

They don't spin the ball, so much as they throw it LOL. I always pictured spinning as putting it on your finger tip and spinning it. Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Im going to take back some of my JJ MCCarthy critical statements. I hope he sucks, because I always want the Vikings too suck , especially living here in MN. I watched some more video of him last night and I saw him make some nice tight window throws. Hopefully it was luck, but I think he probably is better than I was giving him credit for. He seems fairly poised also.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We have the ammo to move up, yes.

Thing is, DeJean was a better fit for the scheme Barry ran than Hafley's. At corner, he is more of an outside zone guy than a man-coverage guy. At S, we just gave McKinney the bag to be our post safety, and the other safety spot is not an overly valuable one.

I think he can still be a player for us and was worth the pick at 25, but "fit" is a major part of draft eval. It's possible that we like him but don't love him as much as various other guys at corner/nickel, or we do not value him as a box safety highly enough.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
26 Apr 2024 08:26
They don't spin the ball, so much as they throw it LOL. I always pictured spinning as putting it on your finger tip and spinning it. Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon.
haha, thats because us old Curmudgeons can only spin it off the top of our finger :lol: , spinning I guess is slang for throwing a tight spiral :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
26 Apr 2024 09:00

Thing is, DeJean was a better fit for the scheme Barry ran than Hafley's. At corner, he is more of an outside zone guy than a man-coverage guy. At S, we just gave McKinney the bag to be our post safety, and the other safety spot is not an overly valuable one.

I think he can still be a player for us and was worth the pick at 25, but "fit" is a major part of draft eval. It's possible that we like him but don't love him as much as various other guys at corner/nickel, or we do not value him as a box safety highly enough.
thing is this, safety is most often a ZONE coverage position, doubt we could find a better safety prospect in this class, thing is a long term starting OL trumps the safety position, imo thats why Guty opted for Morgan.

my hope is that Gute trades up to 33 to get DeJean.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
26 Apr 2024 09:00

I disagree on your safety assessment. The team has been very clear both this year and for years that they like their safeties to be as interchangeable as possible. So we gave McKinney the bag but we need another one. DeJean comps to Minkah Fitzpatrick in a lot of ways and I can see that trajectory. He can also do nickel. He can also play some outside. He has three possible landing spots positionally and they're all needs for us; that's what makes the fit so valuable. Whichever he finds his groove at, we get.

I've been on the record since the season was going on that I want more football IQ in the middle of the defense (LB and S and nickel). DeJean and Bullard are my best bets for that. So I really really want one or both of them.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 09:57
I disagree on your safety assessment. The team has been very clear both this year and for years that they like their safeties to be as interchangeable as possible. So we gave McKinney the bag but we need another one. DeJean comps to Minkah Fitzpatrick in a lot of ways and I can see that trajectory. He can also do nickel. He can also play some outside. He has three possible landing spots positionally and they're all needs for us; that's what makes the fit so valuable. Whichever he finds his groove at, we get.

I've been on the record since the season was going on that I want more football IQ in the middle of the defense (LB and S and nickel). DeJean and Bullard are my best bets for that. So I really really want one or both of them.
Not my safety assessment, I think he will be great at either S spot and worth #25, just conjecturing on why GB passed and why they might not move up for him. If we do move up (or make a big push to do so), safe to say my guess is wrong.

Tbh, when Gute spoke glowingly about DeJean in his presser, I kinda thought to myself, "Yeah, so we're probably not taking him."
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dang, this Caleb Williams - Rome Odunze bromance storyline is so fun and heartwarming why'd it have to be the Bears?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 10:13
Dang, this Caleb Williams - Rome Odunze bromance storyline is so fun and heartwarming why'd it have to be the Bears?
A love affair we'd much rather see with Jacksonville :lol:

Hafley will have to scheme the Bears, Cooper DEJean would make that easier :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I am truly not afraid of Caleb Williams. I think he’s the next Baker Mayfield. He will be fine but nothing that special.

Odunze on the other hand worries me. I get he was the 2nd best WR in the class.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I didn't realize how many weapons were at LSU and Washington. Doesn't bode well for Penix or Daniels.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Apr 2024 12:08
I am truly not afraid of Caleb Williams. I think he’s the next Baker Mayfield. He will be fine but nothing that special.

The thing about Caleb is that during the season with all the unreal off schedule highlights, a lot of people were like “eh maybe not so great” and then the more the film crunchers crunched the film, to a man, they got more and more impressed with the “boring” stuff and how often he IS on schedule and more of a machine.

When you combine the special plays with that down to down, he can be dangerous. I’ma big believer in his ability, but certainly he can be ruined

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Apr 2024 12:08

I think he will be really good in his 2nd year. He will have some struggles early on, but man he has some arm talent.