Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M, 2024 2nd round pick #45

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Grade

Poll ended at 03 May 2024 19:52

A
82%
B
6%
C
6%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M, 2024 2nd round pick #45

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

https://247sports.com/article/texas-a-m ... 231050532/
Texas A&M linebacker Edgerrin Cooper was selected in the second round (No.45 overall) of the 2024 National Football League draft by the Green Bay Packers. He was named All-America First Team by the Associated Press, the Walter Camp Football Foundation, The Athletic and CBS Sports, and a Second Team All-American by the FWAA. Cooper also received First Team All-SEC accolades from the Southeastern Conference coaches.

Dane Brugler, an NFL Draft analyst for The Athletic, told GigEm247 late last month that he projects Cooper to be a top-100 overall pick. The three-day NFL Draft begins on April 25 and will be held in Detroit.

"He is long. He is athletic. He can run," Brugler told GigEm247 about Cooper. "The closing speed is outstanding. It jumps off the page. He is fluid in coverage. He's got pass-rush potential. You see that burst off the edge. That closing speed, he can really heat up the pocket.

"And the fact that he's got a special teams background. He has played a lot of special teams like kick coverage and punt coverage. So at the very least, you feel like he is going to come in from day one, earn a role on special teams."

Cooper helped the Aggies rank seventh among Power 5 teams in total defense (295 yards per game), while also registering top-three season totals in tackles for loss (96.0) and sacks (42.0) as a team. The linebacker led the SEC and ranked fifth among Power 5 players with 17.0 tackles for loss on the year. Cooper's team-best 84 total tackles and 8.0 sacks ranked sixth and fourth in the SEC, respectively.

The Covington, Louisiana, native tallied at least six takedowns in nine of the team's 12 games this season, matching his career high with 11 tackles against Alabama and Mississippi State. He had at least a tackle for loss in seven of the eight SEC games, including eight tackles for loss and six sacks through the first three league games of the season. For his impressive play this season, Cooper received First Team All-SEC accolades from the league's coaches and was also named a First Team All-American by The Athletic and CBS Sports.

Cooper was fifth on the Aggies with 61 tackles in 2022 (33 of them solo stops) and he led the team with eight tackles for loss. He also had an interception, five passes broken up in coverage, and five quarterback hurries.

Cooper was rated as a four star prospect (0.9298) in the 247 Sports Composite for 2020 and the 11th best backer in the country. He announced his commitment to Texas A&M during the 2020 All-American Bowl. The Aggies quietly signed the Covington (La.) High School standout during the Early Signing Period but held off from sharing the new in order to allow him to announce on national television.
Last edited by Crazylegs Starks on 26 Apr 2024 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Dammit, I forgot to put the poll!!!

Edit: Fixed!
Last edited by Crazylegs Starks on 26 Apr 2024 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Seems like a guy who’s not prepared and content losing championship games.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:50
Dammit, I forgot to put the poll!!!
Appreciate you getting this going!!

Just hit edit and can add one still. :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Good pick! He's got really nice athletic tools, has produced pretty well, best football may still be ahead of him, and we badly needed talent and bodies at LB. I'm excited for this! :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Stud athlete. I have to think that a 230 ILB is gonna be good for our D. He's top notch. Gonna get some turnovers and is a good tackler. Great pick!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Very excited about adding him to the defense. Good pick. Great athlete. Very versatile. Would like to add a more instinctive Mike somewhere along the line, but McDuffie might be that guy this year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Biggest gaping hole on the team, get the first player at that position in the draft.

Hard to complain with that.

With come with some pop and attitude for the D.

Love the pick, especially after a little move down. Can get Wicks and Brooks 2.0.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:

I haven't laughed so long in quite a while. Thank you for the good laugh drj. I mean BF
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2024 21:05
BF004 wrote:

I haven't laughed so long in quite a while. Thank you for the good laugh drj. I mean BF
I’m just gonna point it out when I see it, for my own amusement.

These posts are smug-as-$%@#.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gunzaan wrote:
26 Apr 2024 23:06
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

These posts are $%@#.
Honestly, they are rightfully so. The dude says &%$@ to get a reaction and little more. And I am falling into that trap now.

We have come a long way Gunzaan and I am not meaning this against you at all. He is one that isn't here for honest conversation. Simply see his reference to Dejean the last few weeks...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

BF004 wrote:

If we wanted someone to answer the phones, this would be a worry. Otherwise, I think it's quite a treat to find a young man who doesn't worship his mobile phone. :banana:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gunzaan wrote:
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

These posts are $%@#.
Not sure how I became the bad guy in this thread but oh well.

At least BF jab was kind of funny. I can always appreciate humor.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Good pick from a good school.

There is a joke. A graduate from the U of T in Austin is asked 2 years after graduation what he calls A&M graduates. The answer is "Boss". Aggies tend to be smart and hard workers rather than flashy.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I'm reminded why I hate watching linebacker tape because they do almost nothing. Quite often they are in no-mans land where they're too far away to stop the pass or to stop the run.

However it is easy to tell which linebackers are good from their read and react skills and the positions they get themselves into whether its effectively funneling their way towards the ball or covering a zone which takes away the QB passing option. Do they play with their hair on fire? with lots of bounce and energy? Anything else is a bonus really.

I've never seen Edgerrin Cooper play before last night draft. Watching his tape I'm just not feeling it. I don't see the hype or the athleticism. I don't think he reads very well and get caught up or overshoot and wash himself out of run plays. You see hesitation. Sometimes he takes completely the wrong option going left when the ball went right. He's more comfortable in space but it doesn't necessarily mean he's good in coverage. I don't think he knows how to tackle correctly, likes to use the hit stick. I think he plays fake tough at times. there are more bad plays than good plays. Not sure why he's a 2nd rounder, his tape does not stand out anymore than the linebackers who went in the 3rd.

Between him and Hopper we definitely have not upgraded our run defence. We might be better running sideline to sideline perhaps.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Apr 2024 02:24
Good pick from a good school.

There is a joke. A graduate from the U of T in Austin is asked 2 years after graduation what he calls A&M graduates. The answer is "Boss". Aggies tend to be smart and hard workers rather than flashy.
Gig em Aggs. Saw em off.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

WhiskeyIndigo
Reactions:

Post by WhiskeyIndigo »

I just want a guy with a motor and nose for disruption. For far too long this team has put LB’s into a “allow the play to develop” mindset instead of go and kill the play action. Clay was good at it for a few years before the steroids got him strung up, but you have to go and watch the ‘85 Bears defense to realize the craziness Mike Singletary, Wilber Marshall, Otis Wilson and Ron Rivera wreaked on opposing O-lines, RBs and QBs. The personnel is greater than the system. If you have the perfect mix of rabid, edge-sealing, sideline-to-sideline speed that suffocates the pocket, you have your offense out all day.

A well-rested defense that feeds off itself, man I wish Kevin Greene was around to scheme this bunch. We need to be a tone-setting, pipe-hitting mofos to put the message out. This ain’t your dad’s Packers anymore, start a new 29 game home win streak like Holmgren did.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2024 23:24
Gunzaan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

These posts are $%@#.
Not sure how I became the bad guy in this thread but oh well.

At least BF jab was kind of funny. I can always appreciate humor.
I started it. Didn't intend to put you as the bad guy. I just couldn't stop laughing because it was a reminder of posts I have of yours in the past (like too busy playing video games, MLF spends too much time about worrying about fans instead of watching tape...etc.)

I appreciate BF's post and I appreciate your inadvertent role in this because it provided a lot of laughs for me last night.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.