MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC, 2024 3rd round pick#88

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Grade

Poll ended at 03 May 2024 21:52

A
25%
B
50%
C
6%
D
19%
F
No votes

Total votes: 16

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC, 2024 3rd round pick#88

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... for-usc-rb
POSITIVES

— Great acceleration and burst. Flies to and through the second level.

— Home run long speed. Threat to take one all the way at any time.

— Good stop/start explosiveness. Ability to make people miss in space.

— Untapped potential as a pass-catcher. Showed quality hands and ability to win in space in limited reps.

NEGATIVES

— High, upright rushing style saps him of balance and power.

— Below-average vision and conviction as a runner. Needs to press upfield and take what is there more often.

— Unproven pass protector.

— Ball-security issues. Low, loose carriage invites the ball being punched out.

OVERALL

Marshawn Lloyd is a bundle of explosive traits who has not yet channeled that into a complete running back profile.

Lloyd plays with serious burst. To and through the line of scrimmage, Lloyd kicks into top gear instantly. He has the speed to break away and finish those runs in the end zone as well. Lloyd not only ripped off a handful of long runs at USC, but he managed to do the same on a few screens in limited opportunities.

Lloyd also has burst and wiggle at the second level. He isn't as smooth or creative as other backs, but he boasts a raw explosiveness that helps him force missed tackles.

However, Lloyd struggles at the line of scrimmage. He often hesitates when color flashes in a gap, and he does not read the leverage of blocks very well. As a result, Lloyd often takes a beat too long to get upfield or runs himself into his own blockers.

Additionally, it's rare to see Lloyd plunge forward through contact for a safe, efficient gain rather than hunt for the big play on the perimeter. Lloyd's upright rushing style makes it difficult to do that anyway, which may be why he avoids it.

On passing downs, Lloyd is kind of a mystery box. He showed unbelievable explosive potential on screens and flashed solid pass-catching traits otherwise, but he was rarely thrown the ball at USC. He feels like someone with untapped potential in the passing game. Lloyd was also rarely used in pass protection, so he will have a lot to learn there.

Lloyd is a gamble on explosive ability. His adequate size, blazing speed and nimble feet are a combination of traits worth swinging on. At the same time, Lloyd may need time to adjust to pro running schemes and develop his vision as a runner, as well as his third-down skills.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I really wanted Lloyd because I want my #2 back to be the home run hitter. The explosive guy. I didn't want AJ Dillon to be #2 to Jacobs who is just a much better version of Dillon.

I was hoping we would draft a "lightening" type back. Lloyd fits this mold. Very much like the player
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

220 at 5'9" is bulky but he doesn't really look/play like that. Interesting; never looked at his weight

I hope that the bouncing habit gets a ton better with a more structured, reliable run blocking unit in front of him. A couple tweaks to his game and he could be something. Durability hasn't been excellent, but he's rotational early and low mileage so it might just be coincidence or a nonfactor for us.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 22:21
220 at 5'9" is bulky but he doesn't really look/play like that. Interesting; never looked at his weight

I hope that the bouncing habit gets a ton better with a more structured, reliable run blocking unit in front of him. A couple tweaks to his game and he could be something. Durability hasn't been excellent, but he's rotational early and low mileage so it might just be coincidence or a nonfactor for us.
Give me an Aaron Jones comparison!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Apr 2024 22:22
YoHoChecko wrote:

I reeeaaalllly thought about it

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

He's as much as Aaron Jones can be if Aaron Jones weighed 35 pounds heavier.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2024 22:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Didn't Jones weigh in at 208?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Few highlights I saw I liked him. Nothing will matter if he can't fix his fumbling issues

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I sure hope the coaching staff is up to the challenge to get the youngest team in the NFL ready to dominate the North. Not just the 2024 crop of rookies. Stokes and Toure need to step up their games. Kicking is still scary.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Looks a lot like Aaron Jones on tape to me
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Will be good on teams and adds something different to rb group.

Don't see any Jones comparison but looks fast and shifty in open space.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

bud fox wrote:
27 Apr 2024 06:39
Will be good on teams and adds something different to rb group.

Don't see any Jones comparison but looks fast and shifty in open space.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

He was definitely one of the more exciting RB prospects in the draft, and he brings some much-needed speed and explosion to our backfield. Good pick!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Apr 2024 22:30
go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2024 22:27
Pckfn23 wrote:

Didn't Jones weigh in at 208?
Yeah 35 is an exaggeration. But definitely moves like Jones. Just bigger and frankly faster top end speed. Jones has a bit more wiggle and squeeze through tight holes
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I really like Lloyd.

Squatty, powerful runner with the ability to make a defender miss in the hole and then accelerate to a top gear almost immediately. He’s also capable as a receiver, provides a viable outlet and can make plays in space.

There’s a part of me that wishes we’d have simply allowed Jones to walk without signing Jacobs to the big contract because Lloyd reminds me of, honestly, Jacobs.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
27 Apr 2024 08:40
I really like Lloyd.

Squatty, powerful runner with the ability to make a defender miss in the hole and then accelerate to a top gear almost immediately. He’s also capable as a receiver, provides a viable outlet and can make plays in space.

There’s a part of me that wishes we’d have simply allowed Jones to walk without signing Jacobs to the big contract because Lloyd reminds me of, honestly, Jacobs.
There's a decent dead cap if we just Jacobs after this year, a little over $9M. But it's certainly plausible he's only around for a year. And Dillon definitely isn't guaranteed much of anything.
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

TBH write ups on him make me think shorter Ryan Grant. Same strengths and weaknesses.

Guy was banged up a lot and lost his hot sauce pretty early, but for a bit there he could house it as well as any RB in the league. One cut and go slasher style that just ran away from everyone.

Jones' big plays include a lot of improvisation, he wasn't really a one cut and go guy. In my years of watching packer football, Jones had the best natural vision of any back GB has had. The guy just found yards, always.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
27 Apr 2024 08:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

TBH write ups on him make me think shorter Ryan Grant. Same strengths and weaknesses.

Guy was banged up a lot and lost his hot sauce pretty early, but for a bit there he could house it as well as any RB in the league. One cut and go slasher style that just ran away from everyone.

Jones' big plays include a lot of improvisation, he wasn't really a one cut and go guy. In my years of watching packer football, Jones had the best natural vision of any back GB has had. The guy just found yards, always.
was hoping #88 or #91 would be a RB, while this is not the name I expected, it seems like Lloyd is exactly the typw we wanted, quick, explosive, think he'll be a great fit.

Agree about Jones, hope this kid has some of that patience to let blocks form and vision to take advantage the way Jones, or Grant did, like this pick.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:33
Waldo wrote:
27 Apr 2024 08:48
Pckfn23 wrote:

was hoping #88 or #91 would be a RB, while this is not the name I expected, it seems like Lloyd is exactly the typw we wanted, quick, explosive, think he'll be a great fit.

Agree about Jones, hope this kid has some of that patience to let blocks form and vision to take advantage the way Jones, or Grant did, like this pick.
Lloyd was exactly the name I expected and wanted.

I was targeting that Tier II and Tier III back because I didn't think we needed to spend a premium Rd 2 on a RB. So the guys I was really targeting going into the draft was:

Marshawn Lloyd - Late Rd 3/Early Rd 4
Isaiah Davis - Late R4/Rd 5
George Holani - Late Rd 5 or later

I really like Isaiah Davis today as well but think other players will be better spent at Rd 5
Last edited by go pak go on 27 Apr 2024 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote: