2024 Draft Day 3 Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

2024 Draft Day 3 Discussion

Post by Pckfn23 »

Who is out there?

According to Brugler's board here are the steals w/ projected round:
Roman Wilson - WR - Round 2
Jaden Hicks - S - Round 2
TJ Tamps - CB - Round 2/3
Ja'Tavion Sanders - TE - Round 2/3
Troy Franklin - WR - Round 2/3
Spencer Rattler - QB - Round 3
Jaylen Wright - RB - Round 3
Malik Washington - WR - Round 3
Theo Johnson - TE - Round 3
Jared Wiley - TE - Round 3
Brandon Dorlus - DL - Round 3
Austin Booker - EDGE - Round 3
Malik Mustapha - S - Round 3
DJ James - CB - Round 3
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Roman Wilson got drafted fyi

There are a LOT of guys I like left

At safety: Hicks, DTD, Oladipo, and Mustapha

At LB: Magee, Gray, the Washington guy, Knight

At CB: Tampa and Hart as the big guys. Brownlee, Stiggers, Harden, Abrams-Draine as nickel with some outside ability

At RB: Wright, Tracy, Watson, Davis, Gurrendo

At C: Bortolini (and Dylan Mathews and Mason McCormick but much less so)

At OT: actually really almost no one. Some tall athletes and a likely guard convert (Grable) from UCF

At TE: too many to name but we don’t need them but Wylie and Bell appeal to me anyway

At WR: I don’t want any but Franklin, Rice, Washington, Baker

Edge has some interesting projects or misshapen guys that could appeal to me but no one I love

Probably plenty of guys I’m forgetting but lots of 4th/5th round value left. Won’t know the 7th round names, but plenty of contributors left tomorrow

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 23:55
Roman Wilson got drafted fyi
Thank you! I was bound to miss 1 or 7... a handful of old fashioneds later will do that.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Disappointed so far. Only 1 probable starter in 5 picks in 3 rounds, and no help at CB. Well, maybe Stokes is 99% back and can start and so they are not worried about CB.

I hate the RB pick (small and a fumbler) and except for Cooper, I don't like anyone taken so far.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Didn’t Roman Wilson get drafted?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Apr 2024 02:48
Disappointed so far. Only 1 probable starter in 5 picks in 3 rounds, and no help at CB. Well, maybe Stokes is 99% back and can start and so they are not worried about CB.

I hate the RB pick (small and a fumbler) and except for Cooper, I don't like anyone taken so far.
I am not overwhelmed by this draft so far but I do see value added to positions of need. Day 3 is gonna be where Gute makes or breaks this draft and he’s positioned well in that regard. I have the sense that a week from now I will be pretty excited about this team and the young prospects.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I know some question Morgan starting, but I put that at 50-50 or better. Bullard and Cooper are almost definitely starting or pretty close. Bullard is going to see the field A LOT.

STOP CARING ABOUT STARTERS! Care about who is on the field often.
RIP JustJeff

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

We got 8 picks day 3. Anyone have the numbers of how UDFA spots we would have if we draft all 8? Wondering how many of these guys have a legit shot at the 53

I will be traveling with high school students going to a business competition, so I will miss all the draft today.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
27 Apr 2024 06:50
TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Apr 2024 02:48

I am not overwhelmed by this draft so far but I do see value added to positions of need. Day 3 is gonna be where Gute makes or breaks this draft and he’s positioned well in that regard. I have the sense that a week from now I will be pretty excited about this team and the young prospects.
Frankly I think the first 3 selections make or break this draft.

If Morgan, and espeically Bullard and Cooper come in and are competent rookies, this draft is a huge success. A lot rests on our 2nd rounders today. They have all the opportunity. They just need to take it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
27 Apr 2024 07:38
We got 8 picks day 3. Anyone have the numbers of how UDFA spots we would have if we draft all 8? Wondering how many of these guys have a legit shot at the 53

I will be traveling with high school students going to a business competition, so I will miss all the draft today.
I believe Gute was commenting on how they had more guys than they usually like right now. Believe they had room for 7 UDFAs.

I think that might be the same. Because I don’t think the rookies immediately take up a roster space. But then would likely mean some aggressive cut downs when it comes times to sign the rookies.

Long way to say I don’t know, but I think it’s either 5 or 7.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Plenty left to take out there. Hope we make some moves like Gutey said, moving up and maybe getting some picks next year.

Would like to see another safety added, maybe a CB, an Edge rusher, and probably another option at center. Likely a QB taken as well.

was going to list so names but realized way too many! Here's a few for round 4 though...

Mustapha, S
Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, S
Cedric Johnson, Edge
Bortolini, IOL
Mahogany, IOL
Rattler, QB
Pratt, QB
Cam Hart, CB
Decamerion Richardson, CB
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m hoping we can get a solid OG. There’s some decent ones available to push at RG still. I really like Mason McCormick but no way in hell is he ready coming from SD St.

Mahogany would be a good pick too and I think fits in well to push as a starter now.

I like all the Michigan lineman still available as well.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Many many analysts have Cooper as the best LB in the draft. He was the first LB taken

Mel Kiper has Bullard as Safety 1. Dane Brugler has him at safety 2. He was either the second or third safety drafted (DeJean, Nubin)

Daniel Jeremiah has Lloyd as the top RB in this draft. Almost everyone has him top 4. He was the 4th RB drafted

That means that at three spots on the roster where we all agreed we wanted help, the packers got players that were top two/three at the position on many legitimate boards

The idea that this draft CLASS is underwhelming as a group is difficult for me to imagine.

I don’t like the value and fit on Morgan as much as many and it’s tough to know what position he ends up playing for us, but he’s a talented lineman and we absolutely needed tackle depth and competition and OL depth and competition.

And I will say, I think Hopper was a round or two early, but it’s actually pretty easy to see what they like about him as soon as we accept that 230 is just a pretty normal standard LB size right now and that his official timed speed understates his athleticism and on field speed. All three of our newer LBs (the two in this draft and Walker) can rush the passer well for off-ball guys and can run and chase. Not my choice and clearly underwhelming depth piece for a third rounder, but not an F pick.

(Also on The Athletic live draft pod, when the Cowboys were on the clock earlier in round three, Dane and Tice were listing possible picks and Hopper was one of the three LBs they mentioned, so it isn’t as out of left field as it was for me and most of us)

Anyway, point is that we’ve added 5 players who full roster spots we need and 3 of them are arguably top two available in this class at their positions—a benefit of having needs at low priority spots and having lots of picks.

I’m overall pleased as punch. Especially since the CB room still has like half a dozen guys i really like.

Interior OL is a worry spot for me. Bordolini, Limmer, maybe maybe vanPran-Granger but I don’t love him for us. McMahon, McCormick also there. But could dry up quickly with only one pick in the first 65 today
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 27 Apr 2024 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I know Gutey said he wanted 13 picks. I feel like it’s too many. These players are either not going to make the roster, force players off the team still on rookie deals, or just end up being pushed off themselves next year. I’d like to look at some day 3 quality over quantity.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:19
Many many analysts have Cooper as the best LB in the draft. He was the first LB taken

Mel Kiper has Bullard as Safety 1. Dave Butler has him at safety 2. He was either the second or third safety drafted (DeJean, Nubin)

Daniel Jeremiah has Lloyd as the top RB in this draft. Almost everyone has him top 4. He was the 4th RB drafted

That means that at three spots on the roster where we all agreed we wanted help, the packers got players that were top two/three at the position on many legitimate boards

The idea that this draft CLASS is underwhelming as a group is difficult for me to imagine.

I don’t like the value and fit on Morgan as much as many and it’s tough to know what position he ends up playing for us, but he’s a talented lineman and we absolutely needed tackle depth and competition and OL depth and competition.

And I will say, I think Hopper was a round or two early, but it’s actually pretty easy to see what they like about him as soon as we accept that 230 is just a pretty normal standard LB size right now and that his official timed speed understates his athleticism and on field speed. All three of our newer LBs (the two in this draft and Walker) can rush the passer well for off-ball guys and can run and chase. Not my choice and clearly underwhelming depth piece for a third rounder, but not an F pick.

(Also on The Athletic live draft pod, when the Cowboys were on the clock earlier in round three, Dane and Tice were listing possible picks and Hopper was one of the three LBs they mentioned, so it isn’t as out of left field as it was for me and most of us)

Anyway, point is that we’ve added 5 players who full roster spots we need and 3 of them are arguably top two available in this class at their positions—a benefit of having needs at low priority spots and having lots of picks.

I’m overall pleased as punch. Especially since the CB room still has like half a dozen guys i really like.

Interior OL is a worry spot for me. Bordolini, Limmer, maybe maybe vanPran-Granger but I don’t love him for us. McMahon, McDonald also there. But could dry up quickly with only one pick in the first 65 today
Wouldn't count out us adding a free agent on the Oline as well. Maybe we bring Justin McCray back! :lol:
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:20
I know Gutey said he wanted 13 picks. I feel like it’s too many. These players are either not going to make the roster, force players off the team still on rookie deals, or just end up being pushed off themselves next year. I’d like to look at some day 3 quality over quantity.
I fully expect moves to be made. Maybe a trade up in the 4th. Gutey mentioned trying to get picks next year as well.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

No. 25 (first round): Jordan Morgan, T, Arizona
No. 45 (second round): Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M
No. 58 (second round): Javon Bullard, S, Georgia
No. 88 (third round): MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC
No. 91 (third round): Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri
No. 126 (fourth round)
No. 168 (fifth round)
No. 169 (fifth round)
No. 190 (sixth round)
No. 202 (sixth round)
No. 219 (sixth round)
No. 245 (seventh round)
No. 255 (seventh round)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Yes we have 5 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds but it will be interesting how much ammo we can actually use to move up.

6th and 7th rounders just have such little value on trade charts.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Really think we need 1 or two CBs today. BG likes the room. I don't love the room.

Cornerbacks I am targeting today are TJ Tampa, Kamal Hadden and Jarvis Brownlee. Abram Draine is another guy I really like though we never touch sub 180 guys. I think Day 3 though is worth the risk.

I'm hoping we target CB in Rd 4. Frankly wished we targeted CB at Pick 91 as there were guys I liked and I thought Hopper could be had today pretty easily.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:28
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yes we have 5 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds but it will be interesting how much ammo we can actually use to move up.

6th and 7th rounders just have such little value on trade charts.
Because they are so little value though, it doesn't take as much to trade up on Day 3. Usually just toss in 1 from the next round. Maybe a late future pick. Last year there were 20 Day 3 trades.
RIP JustJeff