Rank the Roster 2020: #15

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 20 May 2020 13:36

Jace Sternberger
19%
Jamaal Williams
13%
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
38%
Alan Lazard
13%
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
19%
AJ Dillon
No votes
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
No votes
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes

Total votes: 16

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #15

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Getting to the point a lot of these guys are the same. Went Lazard because I expect him to be WR2.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Starting RT.

Combines certainty of role, positional importance, and average ability to stay ahead of those with average ability and uncertain roles.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 May 2020 13:41
Starting RT.

Combines certainty of role, positional importance, and average ability to stay ahead of those with average ability and uncertain roles.
Co-sign
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Wagner is the safest starter on the board.

I think Gary has the most upside, though perhaps the hardest road to reaching that upside due to position congestion. His metrics, especially later in the season, point to a player that was underutilized. He was a very efficient rusher with his snaps later in the season.

I think Stern has the most safe upside; he's the most likely starter at his position and has a decent shot of being relatively impactful. Jimmy Graham accounted for 447 yds and 3 TDs of offense last year, its not a stretch at all to see Stern improve on that a bit, which would make him well worth this spot, especially if he can out-block Jimmy "wet noodle" Graham.

I think Lazard will bring the most raw impact, 750 yds and 6 TD is certainly well within reach should he hold on to the #2 job, but impact expectations are high in his position.

Remember Raven Greene? We played a ton of big nickel early last year before he got hurt and our D looked great. He was brought back off IR for the playoffs, but I don't think he played at all. I wonder if he's in the convo for nickel DB.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Gary :twisted:

He's the most talented after Savage, and I'm not all that confident in Turner or Wagner yet.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
19 May 2020 14:32

He's the most talented after Savage, and I'm not all that confident in Turner or Wagner yet.
I'm confused about the idea of confidence in Wagner and Turner... confidence in their ability or in their roles? Like, even if Gary is talented, do we think a rotational EDGE will have a bigger impact on the season than the starting RT? If Wagner gets hurt, do we even know who his replacement will be or what the dropoff in play will be?

I get the idea of projecting these talented players to make a leap and voting accordingly; I'm on board. But it's hard to put them ahead of locked-in starters.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I went jace based on the packers putting alot of faith in the 2nd yr pro. Hes going to be a part of this O and on the field a ton.

Pretty muddled tier here. Him and gary have good chances to seperate

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 May 2020 15:11
I went jace based on the packers putting alot of faith in the 2nd yr pro. Hes going to be a part of this O and on the field a ton.

I think both Jace and Tonyan can be good NFL TEs and I think whichever wins the job will do well for us, but I'd say I'm like 60/40 on who will win the role

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 May 2020 15:21
Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 May 2020 15:11

I think both Jace and Tonyan can be good NFL TEs and I think whichever wins the job will do well for us, but I'd say I'm like 60/40 on who will win the role
i think if tonyan wins that job from Jace, that is a bad sign for what Jace may become in the future. I think Tonyan is a JAG.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2020 15:22
YoHoChecko wrote:
19 May 2020 15:21
i think if tonyan wins that job from Jace, that is a bad sign for what Jace may become in the future. I think Tonyan is a JAG.
He probably is, but he's a small school WR convert who spent a year on the PS and needs to develop. We haven't seen him yet. He was behind Graham and I'm not sure anyone would have played ahead of Graham, and TE is often a position that takes time--especially for converted players. To me he is every bit an "unknown" as anyone else on the roster. His measurables are excellent, though.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I guess people are a bit burned out after none of Mac's good workout #'s TE projects ever bore fruit.

TE is a weird position scouting wise. Surely I'm not the only one that has noticed that every year since Finley fans have penciled in TE as a high need, yet pretty much none of the 1st rd prospects people were in to amounted to much more than just another TE.

Finley, Kelce, Gronk, Kittle, the model TE that we need to copy, all these guys were mid round picks and not identified as impact TE's on draft day.

I'm definitely riding the Jace train. He's a physical clone of Hunter Henry (see this article for a comparison) who has had injury issues, but is quite good when healthy, definitely better than anything we've seen since Finley (he's actually just about as productive as Finley was). I mean he's a 12 YPR/9 YPT TE, same as Finley was.

Quarless was a 10 YPR/7 YPT guy, same with Dickrod
Cook hit 12.6 YPR but 7.4 YPT, in his year with us
Marty was at 9.7 YPR/6.1 YPT with us
Jimmy averaged 11.7 YPR/7.3 YPT with us

Jace produces like Hunter Henry did early in his career, and he'd be a huge improvement over everything we've had since Finley.
Last edited by Waldo on 19 May 2020 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I'm all aboard the Gary train.

Guy has the tools, has the opportunity for snaps, best thing that can happen to this team if he turns it on. I disagree about positional congestion. He and Z can both kick inside, edge a position often given some breather snaps off. There is no one other than Gary stopping him from getting starter level snaps.

I might just vote for Reggie Begelton at some point as the #2 WR.

Been looking over our WR corps a lot more, watching more film and reading more articles. Not so much blind faith in him, but I think he could be pretty good and I really don't care for lot of the other WRs.

Might rank them now, Adams, Begelton, Funchess, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, Lazard, Ento, Shepherd, Taylor, Stewart

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:

I mean, quickly given draft slot and athletic testing, you aren't going to find anyone more talented than Gary, including Savage.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
19 May 2020 16:01
Might rank them now, Adams, Begelton, Funchess, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, Lazard, Ento, Shepherd, Taylor, Stewart
first of all, just generally, I find this nuts.

But specifically, did they move Ento back to WR from CB? I liked him as a developmental CB!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Time to shock the world in 2020.
image.png
image.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 484 times
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think Chandon Sullivan should be getting more consideration after this, especially by the logic of voting for Lazard.

CB3 is a starting position in this defense -- not "like" one, it IS one. On that note, Sullivan's competition will also be a lot less formidable than what Lazard will have to go up against at WR. And he was pretty much lights-out in the time he saw the field.

Good talent, starting position his to lose, important position, immediate impact. It's every bit as valuable to prevent receptions and receiving yards as it is to accumulate them, even if it does not really show up on the stat sheet as impressively.

I am also not as down on Turner as a lot of folks here are, and don't see why he shouldn't go close behind Wagner. Yeah, he's overpaid, but I feel like he got the job done. He wasn't a turnstile like Lane Taylor was before injury mercifully sidelined Taylor.

But I'm not gonna die on that hill, either, and I can buy that Patrick or one of the rooks may replace him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 May 2020 16:24
BF004 wrote:
19 May 2020 16:01
first of all, just generally, I find this nuts.

But specifically, did they move Ento back to WR from CB? I liked him as a developmental CB!
Lol, guess not, found some roster somewhere and just starting watching old clips. Forgot they moved Ento to CB. Not a bad thing for him, don't think he'd ever make it at WR.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 May 2020 15:06
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

I'm confused about the idea of confidence in Wagner and Turner... confidence in their ability or in their roles? Like, even if Gary is talented, do we think a rotational EDGE will have a bigger impact on the season than the starting RT? If Wagner gets hurt, do we even know who his replacement will be or what the dropoff in play will be?

I get the idea of projecting these talented players to make a leap and voting accordingly; I'm on board. But it's hard to put them ahead of locked-in starters.
The poll says "next best player" so I'm simply thinking Gary is a better player than Turner & Wagner. At this point, I see those two as JAGs, nothing more. (To be fair, they're better than guys like Adrian Klemm or Will Whittaker.) In a normal year, there would be small chance of a guy like Runyan beating one of them out.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

It was between Jace and Wagner for me. Ultimately I went with Wagner for consistency in the league and experience. I think Jace will be good but I need to see more before I put him above a proven starter. Will be Jace up next for me though for sure.
Cancelled by the forum elites.