Rank the Roster 2020: #16

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 21 May 2020 13:58

Jace Sternberger
44%
Jamaal Williams
6%
Billy Turner
No votes
Alan Lazard
13%
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
6%
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
25%
AJ Dillon
No votes
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
6%
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes

Total votes: 16

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #16

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Rick Wagner (38%)[FA]
16. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Stern for me again today.

I'm going to let the list shrink a bit before the next round of players. Looks like backup OL and LB are light, also should add Love/Crosby soon.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If anyone has access to the GBPG, can you post the article on Lazard?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This is my tier with Wagner:
Jace Sternberger
Jamaal Williams
Billy Turner
Alan Lazard
Dean Lowry
Chandon Sullivan
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Equanimeous St. Brown
Rashan Gary

Any given order.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Showtime Sully's play last year was the best of any of the remaining options and is the closest to a 'sure-thing' to start. He gets my vote.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am going Sternberger based on my perceived importance of the TE position in the MLF offense and the fact I think our direction is to put Sternberger as the #1 TE option. The guy blocked very well. Was very willing to contribute any way he could and that TD he scored in Santa Clara was an awesome, awareness adjustment TD.

I like Lazard a lot too but I think WR is a bit congested and I don't think we will see as much multiple WR sets as we saw last year.

I love Gary and Sullivan a lot as well and think they should be ahead of guys like Lowry and Adams on defense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

This is Rashan Gary for me. I can see people voting for Sternberger, but I am not quite there, yet. I am probably a handful of guys away from where I will begin to consider Devin Funchess, who I believe has an inside track to the most playing time outside of Adams by being the most versatile. I think they will use Funchess as somewhat of a Jimmy Graham/Geronimo Allison role, freeing the offense up to get other play makers on the field.

Funchess, Lazard, MVS, and EQ (in that order) are all in this same tiny clump for me and I expect all four will get their chances this year in various packages, games, stretches, etc.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 May 2020 14:06
Jace Sternberger
Jamaal Williams
Billy Turner
Alan Lazard
Dean Lowry
Chandon Sullivan
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Equanimeous St. Brown

Any given order.
I might make a little mini-tier at the back end with Dean Lowry and Chandon Sullivan in either group. I would tend to look at the differences as highly likely to contribute at a high level and less likely to contribute at a high level, with MVS and EQ the two big boom or bust guys.

Rashan Gary
Devin Funchess
Allen Lazard
Chandon Sullivan
Dean Lowry

MVS
EQ
Billy Turner
Jamaal Williams

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I agree that there are a bunch of guys here that deserve consideration. Sternberger and Gary probably have the most upside. If Jones were to get hurt Dillon could have a big year. Runyan could easily be a starter at RG. Tonyan could also break out but I went with Lazard as a player with both upside and proven talent.

I do not like Fuchness at all. A slow receiver with bad hands is going to be on a very short leash and I would not be surprised if he does not even make the team. https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/28/nfl-2 ... -hankerson

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 May 2020 16:00
I do not like Fuchness at all. A slow receiver with bad hands is going to be on a very short leash and I would not be surprised if he does not even make the team.
Some concentration drops, some technique drops... I don't care. Watch his highlights. He is not a guy who doesn't have good hands and he is not a guy who is slow. Honestly, just looking at some of these clips there is absolutely zero chance he runs the 4.7 he was clocked at for The Combine when many saw him as a TE. Definitely smoother than any WR on our roster not named Davante.

Good clips, but turn the sound off... Ugh.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 May 2020 16:00
I agree that there are a bunch of guys here that deserve consideration. Sternberger and Gary probably have the most upside. If Jones were to get hurt Dillon could have a big year. Runyan could easily be a starter at RG. Tonyan could also break out but I went with Lazard as a player with both upside and proven talent.

I do not like Fuchness at all. A slow receiver with bad hands is going to be on a very short leash and I would not be surprised if he does not even make the team. https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/28/nfl-2 ... -hankerson
I am not trying to be snippy, but I honestly cannot think of ANYTHING less valuable to consider than his drop rate from 2014-15. Six drops in 2018 (his last full season)... Jimmy Graham and Geronimo Allison could knock that out in a game (even though 12% is high). Three in 2017.
What Funchess can’t do well is catch. In 2018, he had six drops and a drop rate of 12.0 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. Of 100 receivers to be targeted at least 40 times, that drop rate ranked 87th. In 2016, he had six drops and ranked 95th of 97 receivers with a drop rate of 20.7 percent. As a rookie in 2015, he had eight drops and ranked 94th of 97 receivers with a drop rate of 20.5 percent. The outlier was his impressive 2017, when he had three drops and finished 17th out of 95 receivers with a drop rate of 4.5 percent.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 May 2020 14:06
Jace Sternberger
Jamaal Williams
Billy Turner
Alan Lazard
Dean Lowry
Chandon Sullivan
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Equanimeous St. Brown
Rashan Gary

Any given order.
Basically the same for me. I could see Stern and Gary early in the tier because of potential.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
20 May 2020 15:52
gotta love the work he's putting in, added a couple lbs and looks good carrying it, I think we'll see him inside a lot this year.

I went with Sternberger, But I'll probably go with Gary next

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Anybody follow Jamaal WIlliams on insta? Hes been posting alot of workout vids to his story. It looks like he has gotten leaner, and all of his videos have him running routes. That could be an interesting wrinkle for the 2020 season.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I am really doing my best to understand the justification for Jace this high. But I just cannot understand.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packfntk wrote:
21 May 2020 09:52
I am really doing my best to understand the justification for Jace this high. But I just cannot understand.
i think the justification is the same reason i am promoting jamaal at this point...everyone on the list now has major flaws, none really better than another..so why not throw up the guy that might be destined to pop. And who will definitely be inheriting a bigger role.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2020 09:01
Anybody follow Jamaal WIlliams on insta? Hes been posting alot of workout vids to his story. It looks like he has gotten leaner, and all of his videos have him running routes. That could be an interesting wrinkle for the 2020 season.
Yeah Rodgers commented that Williams has been killing it in his conference call. He said Jamaal has been a leader essentially in trying to keep everyone motivated.

Rodgers basically said you will see this year the self starters, the ones who don't need monitoring will be the ones who have the edge this year. So I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see some "surprise" standouts.

It also however is probably not a good thing for guys who are not self motivators. These are harder to pick up on, but guys like Montravious Adams who had concerns from coaches in the past who said they didn't take a year seriously or something to that nature may see themselves behind this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 May 2020 10:42
Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2020 09:01
Yeah Rodgers commented that Williams has been killing it in his conference call. He said Jamaal has been a leader essentially in trying to keep everyone motivated.

Rodgers basically said you will see this year the self starters, the ones who don't need monitoring will be the ones who have the edge this year. So I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see some "surprise" standouts.

It also however is probably not a good thing for guys who are not self motivators. These are harder to pick up on, but guys like Montravious Adams who had concerns from coaches in the past who said they didn't take a year seriously or something to that nature may see themselves behind this year.
im hoping williams knows its almost time for a second contract and he is wanting to see his stock go up. Love the work he is putting in and hope he takes his game to a new level. I love the intangibles he brings with stuff like being a hype man, and getting everyones spirits up.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packfntk wrote:
21 May 2020 09:52
Likely starter at TE; 3rd round draft pick as pedigree; hasn't shown any signs of failure yet (just an injury). Why wouldn't he be in consideration?

Personally, I'm on the Raven Greene train. Likely "starter" at nickel safety for the frequent use of 3-S nickel packages. Good run defender. Made an impact on the D when he returned from injury that one time. Seems likely to have a big role without much to challenge him on the depth chart (draft pick Scott looks likely to need development).

I can see a case for
  • Jace (likely starter),
  • Gary (Fackrell's snap counts with far more ability),
  • Turner (likely starter),
  • Greene (large likely role, little competition for it),
  • Chandon Sullivan (large likely role, good in limited looks last year),
  • any of the WRs (WR2 and 3 will have large likely roles, though who will take those roles leaves each of them as a question mark)
  • Lowry, maybe... seems to have a large likely role, as well, as the surest thing on the DL behind Clark aside from our EDGEs moving inside
Williams, while I like him as a person, personality, leader, motivator, is still toward the bottom of that. He's a guy whose play is about average, and who is likely to see a smaller role in 2020 than he had in 2019 due to the drafting of Dillon. He still has a role to play, for sure, and the team likes him with good reason. But he's a pretty average back who is the perfect guy to have on your bench just in case... but I dunno. I think the votes for Williams are more about his personality than his likely on-field contribution to the team. I think Williams and Marcedes Lewis belong in a similar tier as leadership role players who are definitely below the guys likely to make bigger on-field impacts on the team this year.