Packers Positions: EDGE

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Packers Positions: EDGE

Post by YoHoChecko »

Listening to Pettine's presser, he said this is the deepest EDGE room he's been around in quite some time. Hearing that, I decided to take a look into who we have
image.png
image.png (26.75 KiB) Viewed 255 times
I'm assuming we'll keep at least 4, but probably no more than 5. The Smiths and Gary are locks.

The battle for 4 and 5 among the remaining 4 guys, including a former 4th round pick a 20-year old 7th round pick, and 2 UDFAs we kept around last season will be interesting.

Discuss.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I felt robbed that we didn't get to see Greg Roberts at all last year, but if I recall, they did let him practice during his PUP window (can't remember if he did after the window closed). I still think he has a shot based on how hard they fought to acquire him last year. Ramsey was a pleasant surprise, too, but is definitely the body-type that doesn't fit among the others and probably has to beat out Garvin for a chance at the roster which I just don't see happening.

Tim Williams, woulda-shoulda-coulda, is just a camp body.

As you said, the Smiths and Gary are locks. I'd say Roberts and Garvin are good bets, Ramsey is a long shot, and Williams has no shot.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
25 May 2020 10:29
I felt robbed that we didn't get to see Greg Roberts at all last year, but if I recall, they did let him practice during his PUP window (can't remember if he did after the window closed). I still think he has a shot based on how hard they fought to acquire him last year. Ramsey was a pleasant surprise, too, but is definitely the body-type that doesn't fit among the others and probably has to beat out Garvin for a chance at the roster which I just don't see happening.

Tim Williams, woulda-shoulda-coulda, is just a camp body.

As you said, the Smiths and Gary are locks. I'd say Roberts and Garvin are good bets, Ramsey is a long shot, and Williams has no shot.
I agree about the breakdown except Williams being no-shot. They claimed him, they waived him, they kept him on the PS, they brought him back up; he's a guy they see enough potential in to keep around.

Williams is a true pass rusher only. He has an NFL pass rush, but can't play the run. There's a role for that guy in the league, and I think he's easily a better bet than Ramsey to fill such a role for us. I think he isn't far off from Garvin in odds, especially since Garvin is a good option for a PS stash.

Roberts, you're right; all we REALLY know about him is that the Packers really wanted him and paid a nice signing bonus to get him and felt him worth keeping despite not being able to contribute in year one. Seems to have a lot of measurable similarities to Preston Smith

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'd say likelihood of making the roster:

Jonathan Garvin: 6/10
Greg Roberts: 5/10
Tim Williams: 3/10
Randy Ramsey: 1/10

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I really like the room also. With gary and Z able to bounce around that opens the door for someone to steal that 4 spot. Williams can rush so 3rd and long he could work but that would be it. Garvin really brings that different body type. He was called spider for a reason. Hes really bendy and if can turn it on it could be a nice fit.

If the top 3 stay healthy that 4th guy wont be asked to do much but get after the qb. Its a nice problem to have.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Garvin sounds talented and this should be a good situation for him. I think he will really benefit from having Gary to mentor him! :)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 May 2020 13:07
I'd say likelihood of making the roster:

Jonathan Garvin: 6/10
Greg Roberts: 5/10
Tim Williams: 3/10
Randy Ramsey: 1/10
My thoughts on Tim Williams is he doesn't have the drive to succeed. I am not basing that on much other than an inability to find success despite impressive physical tools. Maybe no shot wasn't fair, but will say:

Garvin: 6/10 sounds right
Roberts: 6/10 - as good of a chance as the rookie
Ramsey: 2/10 - I think he was close to making the team out of camp last year, but we seem to be deeper this year, even without Fackrell.
Williams: 2/10 - doesn't really change much... Garvin and Roberts are the guys to beat and its going to be a tall order for either Ramsey or Williams.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think it would be nice if that 4th guy could be a little like Fackrell in that he can be a good rusher on the edge but also take coverage responsibilities if necessary.

I don't see the tremendous value in a guy who just specializes in going after the quarterback because we have three who are probably better than him anyways.

Don't necessarily need to worry about him being awesome in run stoppage, but again some coverage ability would be nice.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.