Why the Packers should absolutely pay Aaron Jones now

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Why the Packers should absolutely pay Aaron Jones now

Post by Yoop »

wasn't sure if this had been brought yet, or if everyone had already seen it, this guy makes a good case to keep Jones, short but interesting read.

https://clutchpoints.com/why-the-packer ... -jones-now

To answer the question, the Packers shouldn’t even hesitate to give Jones a big contract. There are plenty of reasons to support that statement.

First and foremost, Jones is just 25 years old and doesn’t have a ton of wear and tear on his legs. Mike McCarthy didn’t utilize Jones too much and LaFleur made a concerted effort to keep him fresh and healthy. Jones still has a ton of run left in him.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Aaron Jones is a keeper. Not quite in the Dorsey Levens category yet, but let's hope he's working on getting there (assuming he's working out and getting even stronger). If we ever get to play ............. I can't help but get excited about the rookie lining up back there with Jones. Hey, the play action fake might actually result in a play action fake :swear:

Go Pack. Stay safe. Go Pack.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

No.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Jun 2020 06:12
No.
Yes.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
13 Jun 2020 09:47
lupedafiasco wrote:
No.
Yes.
I say yes, too, with a caveat. Pay him at the top of Tier 2 for RB's. If conversations push to Tier 1, then, that is too rich for my blood.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
13 Jun 2020 10:09
wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
No.
Yes.
I say yes, too, with a caveat. Pay him at the top of Tier 2 for RB's. If conversations push to Tier 1, then, that is too rich for my blood.
I wouldn't insult the guy, if where not willing to give fair market money then I'd just let him walk, 1500 yrd RB's deserve more then tier two money.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I would consider the franchise tag or ideally only a 2 year contract. If we do a 3 or 4 year deal, I hope there is very little guaranteed so it is essentially a year to year contract.

History and example after example just scream don't do it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think the timing just isn't working out.

Last year, he was a promising but underrated back. All the talk around the league was about what a mistake it is to sign RBs to big deals. However, drafted players are not eligible for extensions until after their third years.

By the end of Jones' third year, he's considered a top level, dynamic playmaker, with McCaffery getting a groundbreaking deal and Cook holding out for more cash.

The cost of a Jones extension now is unlikely to save us an much, if any, money by doing it now. In fact, with so many questions about this position, this season, the impact on the salary cap next year, there's a decent chance the free agency market is pretty weak for players and his value is actually pushed down.

I'd much rather get a third cheap year and, if necessary, a franchise tag year out of him, then sign a big money deal right now.

I don't think we can sign him for less than $12-13M/year, and I'm not excited to make that commitment just yet.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I would gladly sign onto a 2-year, $26M extension that's actually a 3-year, $27M commitment. That's about my limit
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 14 Jun 2020 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jun 2020 11:23
NCF wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Yes.
I wouldn't insult the guy, if where not willing to give fair market money then I'd just let him walk, 1500 yrd RB's deserve more then tier two money.
Your understanding of my economic stance is, as usual, not close. I'm not saying he's a second-tier player. I'm saying there is a top-tier for money with like 2-3 guys and I don't want to pay him as if he is in that group. McCaffrey, Zeke... stay away from that.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
13 Jun 2020 15:57
Yoop wrote:
13 Jun 2020 11:23
NCF wrote:

Your understanding of my economic stance is, as usual, not close. I'm not saying he's a second-tier player. I'm saying there is a top-tier for money with like 2-3 guys and I don't want to pay him as if he is in that group. McCaffrey, Zeke... stay away from that.
I guess I'am the only one to believe tier one for RB is larger then just 3 players, how could I know you don't think that? my point was fair market, which for Jones would be around tag money, and if we are not willing to offer that, then I'd think this will be Jones last year as a Packer.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I think I would lean toward paying him. Maybe structure the contract so you have an "out" after two years that does not hurt too much, should he bust. As was mentioned by someone else, having Dillon actually makes that easier, because you can also use Dillon to manage Jones's workload and not wear him out too soon, and worse comes to worst you will have an insurance policy for three of those years so you're still getting production out of the position you are paying for it (which, to me, largely offsets any sunk-cost from paying up for a player).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

He is a good back. But he can't do it on his own and has a track record of injuries. I think he is worth an extension but think his price will be less in 8 months than it is now (may get hurt again, will split mire time this year).

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I frankly don’t really see anyone else throwing Zeke or McCaffrey money at him. Just set your price, 2/25 maybe, and don’t budge. Let him test the market and see if he comes back if we didn’t already spend that $$ elsewhere.

Our offense is different with him in there, but strangely our offense the last 3 years has been the worst it’s ever been under Rodgers, albeit with a few occasional holes, still having some serious blue chip talent.

Let us not forget our record setting 2011 came with Marshal Newhouse at LT and poo putty at RB. We had serious holes back then too.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
No.
Yes.
That is not how the league works and you know it. The next guy up for a deal always gets top dollar. He may not get CMC money but negotiations will probably start there.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Jun 2020 08:35
NCF wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Yes.
That is not how the league works and you know it. The next guy up for a deal always gets top dollar. He may not get CMC money but negotiations will probably start there.
Then I think his point was clear, don’t pay him that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Yes.
That is not how the league works. That has how the market has been functioning for QB's, but I don't see that happening at any other position. Especially with all of the uncertainty with what the market will even look like next year, I don't think its out of the question he would take a deal that pays him outside the Top-5 paid RB's in the NFL. A little certainty in these days may go further than you think.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Jones was mostly healthy last season. If he can stay healthy this season then he will get more than the Packers can afford. If he thinks he can, he will not sign no matter what the Packers offer before the end of the season.

The Packers will and should play the odds with Jones this season. They also need to find out what they have in Dillon. Assuming Dillon is good but not great, they will let Jones have 100% of the snaps in the playoffs. If Jones tears his ACL in the Super Bowl they will not be stuck with a contract for a player who will miss most of the 2021 season.

But if Jones stays healthy and has another good year, the Packers best chance for a SB victory in 2022 is to keep Jones. Resign him next spring, for whatever it takes. And if that means trading AR to make cap room, so be it. Love + Jones > Rodgers + Williams. Dillon is the wild card.

The Packers should resign Clark and Bak as soon as they can. Those 2 guys are likely to stay healthy and productive for a long time. Jones is the last future FA that should be resigned now.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I can understand the thinking that says give him a contract now before he has a monster year and ends up costing us more. Also, it would be a positive vibe for Jones and the team.

Unfortunately, this is about business. So let's leave the "vibe" out of the discussion.

If the Packers sign Jones now with a big bonus, then they have the potential to lose a whole lot more money if Jones has a serious injury. Which position wise is more likely to happen. RBs take a lot of punishment and have shorter careers.

I say wait until half-way through the season. If he is having a good year and is healthy, pay the man. It may or may not cost a little more but let's see how his health holds up this season. If the unthinkable happens and Jones suffers a serious injury, then the Packers have more money to sign other players.

Another reason to wait is to see how Dillon performs. A good showing by A.J. could slightly bring down the price tag of Jones if he really wants to stay in GB. And if Dillon turns out to be good, then Jones might want to stay because it could prolong his career to have another stud RB to share the load.

I say wait and let it play out.
Love is the answer…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
14 Jun 2020 09:46
lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:

That is not how the league works. That has how the market has been functioning for QB's, but I don't see that happening at any other position. Especially with all of the uncertainty with what the market will even look like next year, I don't think its out of the question he would take a deal that pays him outside the Top-5 paid RB's in the NFL. A little certainty in these days may go further than you think.
ehhh, I think the point of the article is this, Jones has proven, more touches equals huge producer, and if the Packers want to save a few mil. then signing him now is probably the best way to save it, another 20 plus touch per game season, in a MLF pro run scheme and his price take could really take a leap, I could see Jones being a 2K RB very easily total production.

not much of a gamble to extend him for 3 years 35 mi. as long as only 2 and 25 is guarantee'd, and with his miles, production for 4 more years baring a bad injury is practically a sure thing, this isn't some RB thats had major injury issues or been pounded into the line 25 times a game, imho this is one of the best deals we'll ever make, to think Dillon is going to come in here and replace Jones production is a pipe dream, sure it could happen, heck we all hope thats the case, but it goes against the odds imo.

most productive offensive player on the roster ( I still think Rodgers is that guy) and again we don't want to pony up the money to keep him.