Rank the Roster 2020: #31

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 28 Jun 2020 13:08

Oren Burks
No votes
Ka'Dar Hollman
44%
Kingsley Keke
31%
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Jon Runyan
6%
Marcedes Lewis
6%
Kamal Martin
No votes
Tyler Ervin
6%
Alex Light
No votes
Lucas Patrick
No votes
Lane Taylor
No votes
Jordan Love
6%
Jake Hanson
No votes
Simon Stepaniak
No votes
Vernon Scott
No votes
Jonathan Garvin
No votes
Reggie Begelton
No votes
Josh Jackson
No votes
Kabion Ento
No votes

Total votes: 16

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #31

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Rick Wagner (38%)[FA]
16. Jace Sternberger (44%)[+16]
17. Rashan Gary (47%)[+3]
18. Alan Lazard (54%)[+27]
19. Dean Lowry (31%)[+3]
20. Chandon Sullivan (50%)[+25]
21. AJ Dillon (35%)[R]
22. Devin Funchess (44%)[FA]
23. Billy Turner (68%)[-5]
24. Jamaal Williams (40%)[-1]
25. Equanimeous St. Brown (27%)[-6]
26. Mason Crosby (50%)[+9]
27. Raven Greene (40%)[+6]
28. Marquez Valdes-Scantling (28%)[-11]
29. Tyler Lancaster (38%)[+2]
30. Josiah Deguara (25%)[R]
31. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019
Last edited by Waldo on 26 Jun 2020 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Going with the other half of the tie yesterday, Hollman, today.

Then Lewis. After that thinking Martin, Ervin, Taylor, and Love

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

With no OTAs and hype that comes with it, and also relatively healthy last season, I feel like I know next to nothing about most of the bottom half of the roster guys on the list... Dice roll goes to....Ka'dar.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I went with our starting RG before December. I could also soo voting for Tonyan and Love but Runyan is more valuable as the starting RG than the 2nd TE.

As for Love, I am going to assume that Rodgers will not get hurt this year so Love's value is to keep Rodgers' arrogance under control. Hard to measure that.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 Jun 2020 13:42
I went with our starting RG before December. I could also soo voting for Tonyan and Love but Runyan is more valuable as the starting RG than the 2nd TE.

As for Love, I am going to assume that Rodgers will not get hurt this year so Love's value is to keep Rodgers' arrogance under control. Hard to measure that.
I am not convinced Runyan will start at RG this year. I actually expect him to start out at T and be our swing-tackle. If anyone will take the starting RG spot from Turner, my first guess would be Patrick.

Anyway, I am down for getting Hollman on the board here.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 13:34
With no OTAs and hype that comes with it, and also relatively healthy last season, I feel like I know next to nothing about most of the bottom half of the roster guys on the list... Dice roll goes to....Ka'dar.
Well I read some features on packers.com and it turns out that they're all very talented budding stars, so we're in luck!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Jun 2020 16:27
salmar80 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 13:34
Well I read some features on packers.com and it turns out that they're all very talented budding stars, so we're in luck!
That is a good point, though. TC is about a month away and usually, by know, we have a lot of direction in this voting based on OTA's and minicamps. I do think that hinders rookies moreso than ever before. I also think its Jordan Love time based on the fact that talent alone makes more of a long-term case than anyone else we are still considering.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I thought Keke should be ahead of Lancaster. I'm really excited about him. I voted for Keke at 30 originally and I will vote for him again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
26 Jun 2020 18:22
I also think its Jordan Love time based on the fact that talent alone makes more of a long-term case than anyone else we are still considering.
I still think Jordan Love has zero 2020 impact. He'll be as useful and impactful to the team this year as Dexter Williams was last year. A guy whose potential keeps him on the active roster but who doesn't even get to play when the starters get hurt and we sign a PSer at his position.

He'll be a high-value backup QB slot on my 2021 list.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Who is this Da'Kar Hollman guy? :dunno:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pugger wrote:
27 Jun 2020 09:53
Who is this Da'Kar Hollman guy? :dunno:
good question

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ka'Dar Hollman was a 6th round pick last year. He is 6'0" and runs a sub-4.40 40time.

Throughout the OTAs and Offseason, he was rotating in with the 1s and 2s on team defense because he was earning extra looks and performing well when given the chance. He appeared, at time, to be ahead of Josh Jackson and Tony Brown in the depth chart pecking order, based on practice snaps.

And then as camp wound down we saw him a bit less, and when the regular season arrived, he almost never saw the field. He was behind Brown, who we eventually cut. He was behind Sullivan. He was behind Jackson.

My theory is that much of this is because MLF prefers to have as few rookies on the field in game situations as possible. This is an admittedly small sample size, but you heard his comments about Lane Taylor having a comfort with experience starting over Jenkins, who performed well. Sullivan and Brown were both second-year players. Rashaan Gary could barely get on the field. Only Jenkins (due to injury) and Savage (due to zero other options) played more than 350 snaps as a rookie and only Gary of that group played more than 170.

This yeah, Hollman will not only have improved and learned from a year in the NFL, but he will not face the same barriers to playing time as before. Tramon Williams is gone. Tony Brown is gone. The #4 CB spot is up for grabs between himself and Josh Jackson and Holman has more physical tools and can build on his performance from year one. The #4 CB last year played 350 snaps--a sizable enough role at a position where our starters were unusually healthy last year. The guy will see the field, and hopefully, he'll reward our faith.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 Jun 2020 13:42

come on, the chance of Runyan even being the first backup at any OL position this year is near zero, let alone being a starter, very rare for a late round ol to start year one, same with DEquara, TE/HB is just as tough, even tougher to grasp as a rookie, same with Love, these are 3 of the toughest positions for rookies to do well year one, I agree they all deserve slotting soon.

people voted in Deguara over Hollman do to draft status and coach speak, I mean I love the pick, don't take this wrong, but some of you people need a gray matter injection :lol: if you think he'll be a go before the playoffs, no ota's or installs, absolute neccesity's for most rookies, specially those 3 positions, sorry no sale.

Holla has a high ceiling, he learned the basics last year, and I havn't seen any of our 3rd 4th 5th Cb's with his physical skill set, he easily deserves this slot.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, with our current interior depth and questions about OT, I'm not even sure Runyan is a guard for sure. Coach him up and see how he performs at RT, move him inside as a backup plan next year. The dude held Chase Young to 2 tackles and 0 sacks as a LT. We all thought Bakhtiari was a center when they drafted him. Runyan's athletic skills match almost exactly with Bulaga (another guy many thought would move inside in the NFL) and Bakhtiari.

I don't see him pushing for starting time at OG with Turner and Patrick and Taylor on the roster and no off-season. I LOVE the pick and he'll play in the league for a decade and he has a high floor, but this rush you anoint rookies as starting anything in 2020 is a bit nutty to me.

This year's draft got us some stellar immediate role players and some depth that can start in the future. I expect very little else from them.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 27 Jun 2020 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jun 2020 15:58
Honestly, with our current interior depth and questions about OT, I'm not even sure Runyan ois a guard for sure. Clack him up and see how he performs at RT, move him inside as a backup plan next year. The dude held Chase Young to 2 tables and 0 sacks as a LT. We all thought Bakhtiari was a center when they drafted him. Runyan's athletic skills match almost exactly with Bulaga (another guy many thought would move inside in the NFL) and Bakhtiari.

I don't see him pushing for starting time at OG with Turner and Patrick and Taylor on the roster and no off-season. I. LOVE the puck and he'll play in the league for a decade and he has a high floor, but this rush you anoint rookies as strong anything in 2020 is a bit nutty to me.

This year's draft got us some stellar immediate role players and some depth that can start in the future. I expect very little else from them.
I have also made the Bakhtiari comparison in my head with Runyan, with his performance against Young being part of the rationale, though I had forgotten that there was discussion about playing Bakh at C. But yeah, who expected Bakh to be this good? He totally outplayed his draft caliber.

Keep him at OT, I agree; the need for an upgrade at RG isn't really all that urgent as to warrant moving him inside right away.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Honestly, with our current interior depth and questions about OT, I'm not even sure Runyan is a guard for sure. Coach him up and see how he performs at RT, move him inside as a backup plan next year. The dude held Chase Young to 2 tackles and 0 sacks as a LT. We all thought Bakhtiari was a center when they drafted him. Runyan's athletic skills match almost exactly with Bulaga (another guy many thought would move inside in the NFL) and Bakhtiari.

I don't see him pushing for starting time at OG with Turner and Patrick and Taylor on the roster and no off-season. I LOVE the pick and he'll play in the league for a decade and he has a high floor, but this rush you anoint rookies as starting anything in 2020 is a bit nutty to me.

Yup. I made these same arguments after the draft and feel more strongly about it now. We have a lot of interior depth this year and will be adding the Indiana IOL next year when Taylor moves on. I just don't see the need to put Runyan at guard when he has virtually the same physical measurements as our two stud tackle draft picks and played the position well in college.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Jun 2020 20:41
NCF wrote:
26 Jun 2020 18:22
I also think its Jordan Love time based on the fact that talent alone makes more of a long-term case than anyone else we are still considering.
I still think Jordan Love has zero 2020 impact. He'll be as useful and impactful to the team this year as Dexter Williams was last year. A guy whose potential keeps him on the active roster but who doesn't even get to play when the starters get hurt and we sign a PSer at his position.

He'll be a high-value backup QB slot on my 2021 list.
I am voting him with a view beyond 2020. We're voting for guys now that could contribute a meaningful role in 2020, but they also could be on the street once the season starts. I know we all look at this a little bit differently, but I can't look at this exercise as a 2020 is the ONLY thing that matters type of way. At #31, some long-term, high talent players should start entering the equation whether they contribute this year or not.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:

If Rynyan winds up starting at RT instead of RG, is that a reason to not pick him here? Or if he is the 1st swing OT and the backup to Bak, does that make him unworthy of being #31? To me this would put his value even highter, a few picks ago.

Face it, everyone on this list is either a backup or one of several competing for 3 open positions. We know Turner under performed expectations and should be upgraded. How is this any different than one of many competing for the other 2 open positions ( 2nd ILB and slot CB)?

I can certainly understand voting for Hollman here and I can understand people believing that he is the real deal and will play in the slot and dime. I cannot understand voting for an undersized Keke who has Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, and Adams ahead of him. Gary too, as Gary is about the same size and a whole lot more athletic than he is. Keke isn't big enough to start at DE except as a dedicated pass rusher and why would you sit Gary in that situation and play Keke? 4.58 40 vs 4.95?