Rank the Roster 2020: #32

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 30 Jun 2020 13:48

Oren Burks
No votes
Kingsley Keke
33%
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Jon Runyan
7%
Marcedes Lewis
40%
Kamal Martin
No votes
Tyler Ervin
7%
Alex Light
No votes
Lucas Patrick
No votes
Lane Taylor
No votes
Jordan Love
13%
Jake Hanson
No votes
Simon Stepaniak
No votes
Vernon Scott
No votes
Jonathan Garvin
No votes
Reggie Begelton
No votes
Josh Jackson
No votes
Kabion Ento
No votes

Total votes: 15

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #32

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Rick Wagner (38%)[FA]
16. Jace Sternberger (44%)[+16]
17. Rashan Gary (47%)[+3]
18. Alan Lazard (54%)[+27]
19. Dean Lowry (31%)[+3]
20. Chandon Sullivan (50%)[+25]
21. AJ Dillon (35%)[R]
22. Devin Funchess (44%)[FA]
23. Billy Turner (68%)[-5]
24. Jamaal Williams (40%)[-1]
25. Equanimeous St. Brown (27%)[-6]
26. Mason Crosby (50%)[+9]
27. Raven Greene (40%)[+6]
28. Marquez Valdes-Scantling (28%)[-11]
29. Tyler Lancaster (38%)[+2]
30. Josiah Deguara (25%)[R]
31. Ka'Dar Hollman (44%)[+12]
32. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's difficult to go wrong here, given the uncertainty surrounding any pick...

...but I still think a vote for Jordan Love is the wrong move :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jun 2020 13:54
It's difficult to go wrong here, given the uncertainty surrounding any pick...

...but I still think a vote for Jordan Love is the wrong move :lol:
Then you should be voting for Tim Boyle. You never need a back-up QB until you do. It matters on every team, every year.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I think Lewis is the right pick here. Probably should have gone higher. Off the field intangibles makes him much better than just the player on the field. On the field he is a solid blocking TE role player.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Runyan for me. He will make the 53. Lewis will not. He will be starting at OG or OT. Lewis will be retired.

I understand voting for Love. I wish Boyle were on the list too as I think Boyle will be the backup QB this season. But Love is important for an intangible reason and it may give the Packers the SB this season. That intangible reason is that Rodgers knows he is not in charge any more.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Keke.

If we want this dline to take a step. We need Keke to be part of the solution.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Put Tim Boyle, our 2020 backup QB, on the list!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I like Keke and Runyan here. I will go with Keke: a year under his belt and much weaker competition to seeing the field give him the nod for me.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jun 2020 17:10
I like Keke and Runyan here. I will go with Keke: a year under his belt and much weaker competition to seeing the field give him the nod for me.
It's starting to seem like I won't vie for a single roomie before he's selected by the board.

I genuinely put Deguara and Runyan on my list of the five players I most wanted out of the draft, and I still think y'all are expecting too much from them in year one.

I'll probably go Keke soon.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Swervin Ervin. Actually gave us real return game for the first time since Cobb was a rookie. He also adds some juice to the O.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Jun 2020 15:17
Runyan for me. He will make the 53. Lewis will not. He will be starting at OG or OT. Lewis will be retired.

I understand voting for Love. I wish Boyle were on the list too as I think Boyle will be the backup QB this season. But Love is important for an intangible reason and it may give the Packers the SB this season. That intangible reason is that Rodgers knows he is not in charge any more.
What makes you believe Lewis is going to retire?

Love is going to be Rodgers backup going forward. You don't move up in the first and then make that player 3rd on the depth chart.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pugger wrote:
29 Jun 2020 22:33
TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Jun 2020 15:17

What makes you believe Lewis is going to retire?

Love is going to be Rodgers backup going forward. You don't move up in the first and then make that player 3rd on the depth chart.
36 years old. So slow the average Dlineman can run him down even if he has a 5 yard head start. And most importantly there are many players on this list or already taken who are move valuable than he is. The Packers get to keep 53. There are about 60 more valuable than he is. On cutdown day there will be another 50 from other teams more valuable than he is. He can't play TE, all he can do is to block and take advantage of the D if no one bothers to cover him. And he can't even block a LB any more because most LB's are so much quicker than he is. The Packers did not use their 3rd round pick on his replacement to sit that replacement who can block a LB and who can catch a pass longer than 5 yards.

I agree with you on Love. Boyle is going to have to play very well in preseason to keep his job. If he does, the Packers will trade Rodgers after this season and Love will start in 2021 with Boyle as the backup and the Packers will be a better team in 2022 than this season. Love deserves consideration here.

As for Keke, if you are in favor of sitting Gary to let Keke play on obvious passing downs, then voting for Keke makes sense. If you think Gary is a total bust then Keke makes sense. Otherwise it makes no sense at all to me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pugger wrote:
29 Jun 2020 22:33
You're right; you move up to take a guy in the first to be a future starter, and when that player is well-reported to need a lot of coaching work, you focus on that for a year before you screw him up by throwing him in when he's not ready. Besides, everyone likes having Boyle in the room and on the headsets. Rodgers and MLF both said so.

Love is MUCH more talented than Boyle, but I doubt that at least for the first 8-10 games, he would be the most-ready player to come in and lead a team.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
30 Jun 2020 03:37
36 years old. So slow the average Dlineman can run him down even if he has a 5 yard head start. And most importantly there are many players on this list or already taken who are move valuable than he is. The Packers get to keep 53. There are about 60 more valuable than he is. On cutdown day there will be another 50 from other teams more valuable than he is. He can't play TE, all he can do is to block and take advantage of the D if no one bothers to cover him. And he can't even block a LB any more because most LB's are so much quicker than he is. The Packers did not use their 3rd round pick on his replacement to sit that replacement who can block a LB and who can catch a pass longer than 5 yards.
And yet he played 475 snaps last year and could have retired after the season if he chose to retire. Being a TE who can block and present a large target as a release valve has value in an offense focused on running the ball. I think he's got one more year in him before we fully transition to the young guns

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the rush to play rookies at at typically tough transitional positions is mind boggling, why chance breaking there personal confidence threshold when they are not ready, makes no sense when other alternatives are available.

Lewis may have limitations, but the way we'll use him limits those negatives, he's a steady eddie guy

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jun 2020 17:24
Labrev wrote:
29 Jun 2020 17:10
It's starting to seem like I won't vie for a single roomie before he's selected by the board.

I genuinely put Deguara and Runyan on my list of the five players I most wanted out of the draft, and I still think y'all are expecting too much from them in year one.

I'll probably go Keke soon.
I don't necessarily expect anything from him in year 1. I would have ranked Elgton Jenkins ahead of Lane Taylor last year even if I didn't expect Jenkins to ever see the field at all -- the better player is the better player, even if the coach insists to play the inferior one.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jun 2020 08:43
the rush to play rookies at at typically tough transitional positions is mind boggling, why chance breaking there personal confidence threshold when they are not ready, makes no sense when other alternatives are available.

Lewis may have limitations, but the way we'll use him limits those negatives, he's a steady eddie guy
What is so tough about blocking TE/H-Back/FB? I agree that a normal TE position is difficult but Lewis can't play a normal TE position and Deguara won't be asked to. Don't we all agreed that RB is a position that rookies can do well in. Blocking RB should be even easier. Why don't you think Deguara can block for Jones/Dillon? Why don't you think he can pass block, pick up the blitzing LB, catch an outlet pass and not get caught from behind by a DT?

As for Lewis, he probably can block straight ahead for Dillon but he probably can't get to the sideline ahead of Jones. He definitely can pass block a Dlineman but he probably can't pickup a blitzing LB because he is too slow. And if he does catch an outlet pass he will get several yards less from it than Deguara would.

It seems to me that the only situations where Lewis is better is 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1.