Shortened Preseason

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Shortened Preseason

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Well, preseason Games 1 and 4 are now off the schedule. Game 1 was a GREEN PACKAGE preseason game at Lambeau Field. Game 4 was a road game. Game 2 is a GOLD PACKAGE preseason game at Lambeau.

Any comments on this situation?

Any predictions on what the next announcement will be regarding NFL 2020?

Will the Packers incrementally refund Packers season ticket holders their money as the game cancellation announcements unfold ........... or will it be in one fell swoop?

GO PACK GO !!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I have a pretty good idea what the next announcement is going to be.
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, not upset we lost the first preseason game. I will miss it because I always brought my daughter to that game, but we wouldn't this year anyway.

And I am not planning on getting any money back from the Packers. I am 110% positive that money will be rolled into 2021.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Packfntk wrote:
02 Jul 2020 14:33
Yeah, not upset we lost the first preseason game. I will miss it because I always brought my daughter to that game, but we wouldn't this year anyway.

And I am not planning on getting any money back from the Packers. I am 110% positive that money will be rolled into 2021.
Look for at least a 10% price hike for 2021.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I will be shocked if we have a preseason at all.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jul 2020 18:53
Heard today the NFLPA voted unanimously for no preseason games. Anyone else hear that?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
I will be shocked if there is a single fan in any indoor stadium for the entire season.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
02 Jul 2020 14:33

0f course the ticket money will roll forward, this will hurt teams/owners, however there biggest concern, naturally is the future intentions and reactions of there fans, teams are not in the fan losing business, I think you'll see incentives from the FO and B of D to insure you remain a season ticket holder for many years to come.

seems to me that during the strike shortened 83 season we got roll forward tickets and free PS games in 84, the fans are still #1 concern, and the team has always respected that.

Wally: your just spitting in the wind, your opinion is so hate driven, obviously there will be ticket increases, there always will be, but your insinuating that the team will increase ticket prices to recoup losses this year, and that has not been the case since the 1930's when the team was actually broke, to my knowledge the team can easily weather this situation financially, so why would they punish fans they depend on, ticket increases that you think will happen would chase fans away, the FO would be cutting there own throat, and they know that.

Mendeleev
Reactions:

Post by Mendeleev »

wallyuwl wrote:
04 Jul 2020 00:33
go pak go wrote:
Heard today the NFLPA voted unanimously for no preseason games. Anyone else hear that?
Looks pretty reliable.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Mendeleev wrote:
07 Jul 2020 17:18
wallyuwl wrote:
04 Jul 2020 00:33
go pak go wrote:
Looks pretty reliable.

I expected this next to break after Texas and Florida had upticks.

I think that is almost going to be a certainty that when the season starts there won’t be any fans in the stands. I think it’s even more likely there isn’t a season at all.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yeah, lupe, I'd also vote for no season at this point if I were betting on it.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

In a few weeks we'll get to see how Major League Baseball fares. From what I have read they're starting with a few Summer Training games first, followed by home openers (a 60 game season that ends the end of September).
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 08 Jul 2020 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Bills officially will not have fans in 2020 at the stadium.

Mark Murphy is quoted as saying at the minimum he expect no fans at any football game during 2020. But it is sounding more and more like the tide is moving toward no football in 2020.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

go pak go wrote:
08 Jul 2020 16:32
The Bills officially will not have fans in 2020 at the stadium.

Mark Murphy is quoted as saying at the minimum he expect no fans at any football game during 2020. But it is sounding more and more like the tide is moving toward no football in 2020.
Where did you see the about the Bills?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

greenday
Reactions:

Post by greenday »

Current NY guidelines for sporting events would not allow For fans if the Bills played a game today. Will it be the same in Sept? Stay tuned.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I see that all players will be able to opt out of the season if they want.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

While the NFL is still preparing for a full slate of regular season games, the ongoing situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic has made many increasingly fearful that the NFL season will be in jeopardy.

At the very least, Packers CEO Mark Murphy realizes the dire nature of the situation, having recently stated that "Time is no longer on our side."

Here's a selection from Murphy's recent Packers.com column addressing the issue:

"With training camps set to start in less than a month and with COVID-19 showing no signs of slowing down, the Packers will have to make several difficult decisions in the coming weeks. Since the pandemic arrived earlier this year, NFL teams have had the benefit of time. Unlike professional basketball, hockey and baseball teams who were either in hte middle of their seasons or about to start, we were in the beginning of our offseason. NFL teams were able to handle free agency, the draft and their entire offseason programs virtually.

We've made decisions along the way, but the major ones we've been able to put off until we have more information. With so much uncertainty, it has made sense that we have not made decisions until we absolutely have to. As we near the start of training camp, though (rookies will start practice on July 21 and veterans on the 28th), time is no longer on our side."

The NFL has already cut the preseason, but the plan remains to have a full slate of regular season games, with most of the league allowing fans to be in attendance to some degree.

There's almost no chance the season will progress as the league is hoping right now. At the very least, it should be expected that there will be no fans in stadiums, anywhere. Already, the Buffalo BIlls announced last week there would be no fans at the stadium during the pandemic, and it's only a matter of time until other teams follow suit either of their own will or via NFL mandate.

From the league's perspective, all eyes are going to be on what happens with the NBA and MLB, which are slated to resume/begin their seasons shortly. If either or both ends up being a disaster, the NFL may decide the risk of going on with the season is not worth it.

From the Packers' perspective, the more the season is put into jeopardy, the better the team's 2020 draft looks. The Packers drew the understandable ire of fans by mostly ignoring positions of need in the draft, especially with top selections. But if the 2020 season cannot happen due to the pandemic, a possibility that had to at least have some slight weight in the teams' draft plans this spring, suddenly the long-term approach doesn't look nearly as bad, especially with the drafting of Jordan Love.

Aaron Rodgers will play most of the season as a 36-year-old quarterback before turning 37 in December. A lost season is significant at this point in his career and his contract. If the Packers truly feel Love is Rodgers' successor, and if the 2020 season ends up not happening due to the virus, then the team may have managed to snag its next franchise quarterback while also not getting bitten by the gamble of going without a wide receiver or defensive line selection in the draft.

Ultimately, we all want football this year. A fall without Green Bay Packers football is unimaginable; it hasn't happened since 1918. But there is increasingly less reason for optimism given the current situation with the virus and its spikes across the nation. Mark Murphy certainly sees the window closing, and the NFL should at least abandon the notion that it will be able to pull of anything even remotely resembling "business as usual" with the 2020 season.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

European soccer is playing to empty stadiums. On TV they are adding fake crowd noise. And players are getting sick. Same for tennis.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Jul 2020 01:18
European soccer is playing to empty stadiums. On TV they are adding fake crowd noise. And players are getting sick. Same for tennis.
How are tennis players getting sick?

I don't think I could handle fake crowd noise in an empty stadium. It is bad enough on tv. Ever try watching Fuller House on Netflix? It is horrendous, every sentence is fake laughter.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Jul 2020 15:41
TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Jul 2020 01:18
How are tennis players getting sick?

I don't think I could handle fake crowd noise in an empty stadium. It is bad enough on tv. Ever try watching Fuller House on Netflix? It is horrendous, every sentence is fake laughter.
I could handle it if they simulated crowd noise from drunk people.