Rank the Roster 2020: #35

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 08 Jul 2020 13:50

Oren Burks
14%
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Jon Runyan
21%
Kamal Martin
No votes
Alex Light
No votes
Lucas Patrick
No votes
Lane Taylor
36%
Jordan Love
29%
Jake Hanson
No votes
Simon Stepaniak
No votes
Vernon Scott
No votes
Jonathan Garvin
No votes
Reggie Begelton
No votes
Josh Jackson
No votes
Kabion Ento
No votes
Tim Boyle
No votes

Total votes: 14

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #35

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Rick Wagner (38%)[FA]
16. Jace Sternberger (44%)[+16]
17. Rashan Gary (47%)[+3]
18. Alan Lazard (54%)[+27]
19. Dean Lowry (31%)[+3]
20. Chandon Sullivan (50%)[+25]
21. AJ Dillon (35%)[R]
22. Devin Funchess (44%)[FA]
23. Billy Turner (68%)[-5]
24. Jamaal Williams (40%)[-1]
25. Equanimeous St. Brown (27%)[-6]
26. Mason Crosby (50%)[+9]
27. Raven Greene (40%)[+6]
28. Marquez Valdes-Scantling (28%)[-11]
29. Tyler Lancaster (38%)[+2]
30. Josiah Deguara (25%)[R]
31. Ka'Dar Hollman (44%)[+12]
32. Marcedes Lewis (40%)[+4]
33. Kingsley Keke (50%)[+10]
34. Tyler Ervin (47%)[WW]
35. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I just took Love in the forum dynasty draft with my first round pick. He should go here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Waldo wrote:
07 Jul 2020 13:51
I just took Love in the forum dynasty draft with my first round pick. He should go here.
I agree.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went Burks here. I think the Packers have to have a plan for him. They moved up to get him when they took him. It’s year three. The athleticism is clearly there. He always seemed to be a step behind the play. Maybe it all comes together. But he’s the next man up at ILB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Love is long overdue. His roster spot is crazy important, he’s the future of our team. It’s time.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
07 Jul 2020 22:17
Love is long overdue. His roster spot is crazy important, he’s the future of our team. It’s time.
He won't play a down in 2020 though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Jul 2020 22:47
Packfntk wrote:
So his roster spot is not valuable? Is this a snap count ranking? Also, we hope he doesn’t have to play, but history says he could.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

As much as I want to keep Love from getting this, I can't vote for Lane Taylor to do it. Taylor looked like he had nothing in the tank. I thought he looked way worse than Turner for the brief period he was out there at OG.

By comparison, Lucas Patrick looked a lot more competent when he was out there. I would sooner vote for him. Runyan as an incoming rookie is also probably better than that guy. I could vote for either, Tonyan, possibly Martin.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
08 Jul 2020 00:35
As much as I want to keep Love from getting this, I can't vote for Lane Taylor to do it. Taylor looked like he had nothing in the tank. I thought he looked way worse than Turner for the brief period he was out there at OG.

By comparison, Lucas Patrick looked a lot more competent when he was out there. I would sooner vote for him. Runyan as an incoming rookie is also probably better than that guy. I could vote for either, Tonyan, possibly Martin.
I agree with everything you said. Patrick was the backup canter last season wen Linsley could not play. I thought his first game was a little rough but he looked fine the second game. This is Linsley's contract year and I don't see any way the Packers keep him. So I think Patrick is the center of the future and will not be the first backup guard this year.

I also think that Boyle is under rated and is perfectly capable of being an average NFL QB. If things go well, the Packers will be trading a QB after this season and it won't be Love.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
07 Jul 2020 23:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
Packfntk wrote:
So his roster spot is not valuable? Is this a snap count ranking? Also, we hope he doesn’t have to play, but history says he could.
Sure a roster spot is valuable and this isn't just about snap count, but there are guys still up there that have a much higher chance of directly contributing this year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jul 2020 08:23
Packfntk wrote:
07 Jul 2020 23:06
Pckfn23 wrote:

Sure a roster spot is valuable and this isn't just about snap count, but there are guys still up there that have a much higher chance of directly contributing this year.
Agreed, but there are a couple ways to look at it I guess. I think his roster spot is more valuable than anyone left on the docket. He will probably be counted on to win a game at some point in the season (Like I said, hopefully not) but Rodgers has only had 7 complete seasons in 11 since taking over. I just look at that as high importance, rather than some guys who will get some snaps and possibly contribute in a positive or negative fashion.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

In all the years we have done this, the back-up QB has never been ranked lower than #35. I get some are split on Love/Boyle, but someone has to be that guy and its more important than the swing tackle snaps Lane Taylor may get or the 5 tackles Oren Burks may get. When you say "chance of contributing significantly", I think you are very much overstating their likely contribution, even on the high-end.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
08 Jul 2020 09:01
In all the years we have done this, the back-up QB has never been ranked lower than #35. I get some are split on Love/Boyle, but someone has to be that guy and its more important than the swing tackle snaps Lane Taylor may get or the 5 tackles Oren Burks may get. When you say "chance of contributing significantly", I think you are very much overstating their likely contribution, even on the high-end.
Well if you would join us and vote for the correct backup QB, we wouldn't have this problem, haha

I still think if we had a full offseason, Lane Taylor would have woulnd up getting cut when his play didn't justify his price and when we could spend that money on a DL or on extensions. But absent the offseason and preseason to allow the young guys to make their move, I guess he sticks.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It’s not so much about a QB racing in to go before 35, it’s about Lane Taylor more likely to have an impact this year.

What was the lowest a 6th OL has gone before?

I’ll prolly do Love next, would have voted for him a while ago if Taylor was off the board already.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Burks.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jul 2020 11:30
What was the lowest a 6th OL has gone before?
Fair point. Kyle Murphy went #32 in 2018. That was the lowest. Otherwise, late 20's has been the sweet spot.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
You seriously think that Lane Taylor is capable of playing either tackle position? The man is slower than molasses in Green Bay in January! He can block a 300 pound DT who runs a 6.5 40 but if you put him on the edge he would need help on every play.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Jul 2020 00:52
NCF wrote:
You seriously think that Lane Taylor is capable of playing either tackle position? The man is slower than molasses in Green Bay in January! He can block a 300 pound DT who runs a 6.5 40 but if you put him on the edge he would need help on every play.
He's done it before and done it admirably, albeit a while back and over a short sample size.

https://www.packers.com/news/lane-taylo ... e-19473044

Read More. Post Less.