Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Aaron Freaking Rodgers

Post by go pak go »

So if you have been following the tweets and practice updates, you will see that Aaron Rodgers the past few days has been on a tear. Training Camp is fun because we get to talk about young guys and new guys and new hopes and often your stars like D Adams, A. Rodgers, David B. etc get overlooked.

But what we have been seeing the last 4 days should not get overlooked. Rodgers has been dropping dimes, deep balls perfectly and command of this offense. He is using the middle of the field. He is getting the ball out to quick out routes. He is dumping off to RBs in stride.

There was a 2 minute on offense, I don't know the exact rules of the drill, but from what I gather the offense is backed up inside or right at the 10 and they need to get a field goal to win it. I don't know how many TO's are left, but something tells me it was 1 left. Why I am saying this is because Rodgers led that drive to win the game but what was impressive and what I have been craving is the entire drive was dinking and dunking and balls over the middle of the field and outside curl routes.

Rodgers took what the defense gave. They would clock the ball and keep the moving the chains which means they were efficient with the downs.

There have been many tweets where basically it was, "there was nothing the defense could do". Now the latest drama is what is getting Rodgers to this god-mode form? He said a quote and it is catching fire.

How much that has to do with it who knows but the point is this guy looking like the guy we have loved and this alone should give us a lot of reason to be stoked. It also means there is perhaps some retrospective and humility happening where he is finding what made him Rodgers....Rodogers.

If you want a summary about Rodgers over the weekend, start the video at 4:10

And this was taped before Rodgers's once again stellar practice yesterday.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here is MLF"s comments towards Aaron starting at 4:30

I have to say I'm getting excited. Players keep talking how much fun he is having and great to be around. This is the 2nd year in MLF's offense and he no longer requires a play sleeve. He is no longer in the same offense that was for 12 years and he has a variety of weapons that it is sounding he is embracing. From the chemistry of this team to the new scheme to Getsy finding ways to coaching him up.

I haven't heard the "I won many fundamental awards in high school. I know fundamentals."

This is really exciting. We will go far as Rodgers takes us. Period. And if this guy is on it this year, that alone will give us so many reasons to cheer this year.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Hopefully what he saw when he looked back is him stepping into his throws. Even when he has all the room in the world he falls back and flicks the wrist. I really thinks it’s gotta do with the shoulder injuries and something mentally where he doesn’t want to step into big hits but that’s just my opinion.

He still needs time to adjust to the offense. It’s only year 2 of a limited off season. He will look more comfortable the more tome he’s in it but you can’t expect any QB to just go and run a new scheme the same way he ran the previous scheme for a decade plus. That’s just not realistic.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I want more slants, screen plays, back shoulder throws that connect, and higher percentage passes that get the balls in players hands in space at a quicker pace. Giddy that he seems excited now and looks electric. Let's hope it translates week 1.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Been a while since he's had a good chip on his shoulder.

I was not a fan of the Love pick (so shortly after giving Aaron his extension and restructuring it), but I think that is not a big a deal as it seems to most. Gutenkunst's future doesn't reside on that pick.

I really think it is less likely we move on from Aaron at some point than most.

IMO, one of these things needs to happen to move on from Aaron.
  • It begins to look like we can not compete for a Super Bowl with an aging and slightly less effective Aaron Rodgers on his very high contract. Not everyone is Tom Brady, not everyone can age like him, Aaron is more mobile has collar bone and concussion histories.
  • Jordan Love has to look good enough where we can't justify keeping him off the field anymore.
Barring injury, I'm not expecting to see #1, I think Aaron will age well and continue to modify his game, he seems to realize this and take care of his body appropriately, but we will see.

I have no real comment on #2, but I would say that odds are not in favor of Jordan Love looking like a top 5-10 QB in practice or in limited game time, just as it isn't likely for any one person.

However we know that if you do not have a QB, you do not have a chance in this league. Aaron is aging and has an injury history, so taking a shot a QB you like in the late first round, isn't a big deal. I mean we had the best roster in football in 2014 with our most recent 1st rounders being Nick Perry, Derrick Sherrod and Datone Jones, only Perry did anything worth note.

So I guess I came around to the idea of A) Let's not put all our chickens in the Aaron Rodgers basket, both for this year, next year and the years after that. B) This pick does not at all mean we will move on from Aaron Rodgers. C) Aaron for some reason seems to play out of his mind whenever he gets the impression someone is doubting him.

This D has the potential to be really really good and with just a handful of superstars on O, Bak, Adams and Jones, hard to envision us not being successful especially if Aaron elevates his game from recent years. I would not be the slightest bit shocked if he was still our QB in 4 years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mean, yeah. The reaction to "what this means" has always been over the top and off the mark.

As I stated elsewhere earlier, the whole "the best way to win a Super Bowl is with a talented QB on a rookie contract" is a myth. It only happened twice, with Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. Nick Foles won on a veteran backup contract while Wentz was on the roster on a rookie contract. Colin Kaepernick, who also helped fuel this as a trend, reached but did not win the Super Bowl.

It is just as common to win in the first year of an extension/second contract as it is to win on the whole of the rookie contract (twice in the past decade, also). So there is no rush or reason to insist that Love push open our window before a second contract. Signing an extension that isn't at the top of the market is actually just as good. In the mean time, he serves as a very inexpensive backup, which is likely to be important in 2021 and 2022 if Rodgers sticks around.

In the mean time, protecting against Rodgers' potential signs of aging by bulking up the run game and defense is the perfect way to extend, not limit, his window. It has been seen as such for late-stage QBs in the past, so I'm not sure why everyone insists that it's not helpful to a QB now.

Would I have made a different decision in round one this year? I think I probably would have. I certainly wouldn't have moved up to make that pick, but might have actually considered it if he just plopped to us at 30, I'm not sure. I definitely had other players and positions in mind. But I still think the narrative reactions have been absurd and off base. And I think we're liklely to have Rodgers for 2020, 2021, and 2022 at least.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

This is what I've been looking for, for years. Getting back to some of the basics. Using the whole field. Avoiding sacks by getting the ball out. Use everybody on the field. I Hope we see this when the fire starts.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Aug 2020 12:38
I mean, yeah. The reaction to "what this means" has always been over the top and off the mark.

As I stated elsewhere earlier, the whole "the best way to win a Super Bowl is with a talented QB on a rookie contract" is a myth. It only happened twice, with Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. Nick Foles won on a veteran backup contract while Wentz was on the roster on a rookie contract. Colin Kaepernick, who also helped fuel this as a trend, reached but did not win the Super Bowl.

It is just as common to win in the first year of an extension/second contract as it is to win on the whole of the rookie contract (twice in the past decade, also). So there is no rush or reason to insist that Love push open our window before a second contract. Signing an extension that isn't at the top of the market is actually just as good. In the mean time, he serves as a very inexpensive backup, which is likely to be important in 2021 and 2022 if Rodgers sticks around.

In the mean time, protecting against Rodgers' potential signs of aging by bulking up the run game and defense is the perfect way to extend, not limit, his window. It has been seen as such for late-stage QBs in the past, so I'm not sure why everyone insists that it's not helpful to a QB now.

Would I have made a different decision in round one this year? I think I probably would have. I certainly wouldn't have moved up to make that pick, but might have actually considered it if he just plopped to us at 30, I'm not sure. I definitely had other players and positions in mind. But I still think the narrative reactions have been absurd and off base. And I think we're liklely to have Rodgers for 2020, 2021, and 2022 at least.
You're missing Ben Roethlisberger. won in his second and fifth year. So is it the best way? No but four times in the last fifteen years is not a myth either. If you go long enough iwithout the huge QB contract, to create a team of high picks and you find a QB who can add a little and not screw you, you've got a shot.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The funniest thing is going to be when Rodgers looked back and thought how he stopped spinning out of pressures and needs to do that more and fans still complain about him passing up check downs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
26 Aug 2020 18:03
You're missing Ben Roethlisberger. won in his second and fifth year. So is it the best way? No but four times in the last fifteen years is not a myth either. If you go long enough iwithout the huge QB contract, to create a team of high picks and you find a QB who can add a little and not screw you, you've got a shot.
Sorry, I specified "past decade" for the latter part but meant it for the whole thing.

When first round QBs got huge guaranteed contracts, it wasn't an advantage at all, so it's not the same conversation prior to that. But also, Roethlisberger's 5th year was the first year of his new extension.

But also 4 out of 15 years (even though it's 3 at best) would equate to about the number of rookie contracts there are starting at a given time. So if you look at 32 starting QBs and 25% of them are on rookie contracts, the expected number of QBs to win on rookie contracts would be 1 in 4, or 4 times in 16 years 8-)

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Cdragon wrote:
So is it the best way? No but four times in the last fifteen years is not a myth either. If you go long enough without the huge QB contract, to create a team of high picks and you find a QB who can add a little and not screw you, you've got a shot.
The esteemed Andrew Brandt wrote an excellent article on what he called The Myth of the Rookie Contract QB. What Brandt said was that it didn't actually matter how much you paid your franchise QB, so long as he played up to that level.
Some QBs truly tilt the field and that's worth every penny in the playoffs.

For all other positions Brandt said: You don't win by paying players what they are worth, you win by paying them less.
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
27 Aug 2020 00:31
Cdragon wrote:
So is it the best way? No but four times in the last fifteen years is not a myth either. If you go long enough without the huge QB contract, to create a team of high picks and you find a QB who can add a little and not screw you, you've got a shot.
The esteemed Andrew Brandt wrote an excellent article on what he called The Myth of the Rookie Contract QB. What Brandt said was that it didn't actually matter how much you paid your franchise QB, so long as he played up to that level.
Some QBs truly tilt the field and that's worth every penny in the playoffs.

For all other positions Brandt said: You don't win by paying players what they are worth, you win by paying them less.
One of the best posts I have ever seen.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I've never really thought any of our offensive problems where especially do to anything Rodgers did, I think it's natural to grow stale when you continue to do the same thing over and over, thats why marriage has a 7 year shelf life :lol:

McCarthy installed a scheme that required extending plays when receivers couldn't separate, that broke down as the decline of our receivers set in and there talent was missed and not replaced, so this stuff for me falls on McCarthy's complacency to keep expecting the same results from a scheme that lacked that talent.

two years prior to McCarthy's firing we heard Rodgers asking for change, specifically that we needed to run the ball more, as to the checkdowns we know that Rodgers rarely had to use them.

as to last year, MLF's first, we saw Rodgers use checkdowns more, we also saw more run %, however being Matts first season imo the playbook was only in it's first chapter, so obviously that will limit the extent and consistency of almost everything we where able to attempt, the corrolation to this is our inability to exploit defenses more with Jones ability as a receiver, my suspicion there is we only drew up a handful of plays for him to begin the season, and to me that was the same for other players as well, only so much ya can do installing a new offense in one off season.

I new Rodgers was much better then we where seeing, and if the rest of you pricks :munch: would own up to it you'd say so to, like I said, Rodgers is our hero, he forced mike out and now he's going to make another successful coach in Matt Lafluer, the belt is back on :aok:

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Yoop wrote:
27 Aug 2020 11:36
I've never really thought any of our offensive problems where especially do to anything Rodgers did, I think it's natural to grow stale when you continue to do the same thing over and over, thats why marriage has a 7 year shelf life :lol:

McCarthy installed a scheme that required extending plays when receivers couldn't separate, that broke down as the decline of our receivers set in and there talent was missed and not replaced, so this stuff for me falls on McCarthy's complacency to keep expecting the same results from a scheme that lacked that talent.

two years prior to McCarthy's firing we heard Rodgers asking for change, specifically that we needed to run the ball more, as to the checkdowns we know that Rodgers rarely had to use them.

as to last year, MLF's first, we saw Rodgers use checkdowns more, we also saw more run %, however being Matts first season imo the playbook was only in it's first chapter, so obviously that will limit the extent and consistency of almost everything we where able to attempt, the corrolation to this is our inability to exploit defenses more with Jones ability as a receiver, my suspicion there is we only drew up a handful of plays for him to begin the season, and to me that was the same for other players as well, only so much ya can do installing a new offense in one off season.

I new Rodgers was much better then we where seeing, and if the rest of you pricks :munch: would own up to it you'd say so to, like I said, Rodgers is our hero, he forced mike out and now he's going to make another successful coach in Matt Lafluer, the belt is back on :aok:
Mike you may need your meds tweaked, not having a very good week.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
27 Aug 2020 19:11
Yoop wrote:
27 Aug 2020 11:36

Mike you may need your meds tweaked, not having a very good week.
Nah...........its just classic Yooper that's all.

The Rodgers I remember was the whining QB giving dirty looks to his receivers sometimes. Not exactly a great leadership trait IMHO. Little bit of arrogance don't ya think? :poke:

But then again, a great legacy has been created over a 12 year time span ........... all of the clutch performances in big games combined with an amazing TD to INT ratio stat. Its a double-edged sword for sure. Given the right supporting cast he's a deserving NFL MVP. Let's see how 2020 plays out assuming no boycotts on the gridiron. :thwap:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 28 Aug 2020 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
26 Aug 2020 12:22

I was not a fan of the Love pick (so shortly after giving Aaron his extension and restructuring it), but I think that is not a big a deal as it seems to most. Gutenkunst's future doesn't reside on that pick.

• It begins to look like we can not compete for a Super Bowl with an aging and slightly less effective Aaron Rodgers on his very high contract. Not everyone is Tom Brady, not everyone can age like him, Aaron is more mobile has collar bone and concussion histories.
  • Jordan Love has to look good enough where we can't justify keeping him off the field anymore.
Barring injury, I'm not expecting to see #1, I think Aaron will age well and continue to modify his game, he seems to realize this and take care of his body appropriately, but we will see.

I have no real comment on #2, but I would say that odds are not in favor of Jordan Love looking like a top 5-10 QB in practice or in limited game time, just as it isn't likely for any one person.

However we know that if you do not have a QB, you do not have a chance in this league. Aaron is aging and has an injury history, so taking a shot a QB you like in the late first round, isn't a big deal. I mean we had the best roster in football in 2014 with our most recent 1st rounders being Nick Perry, Derrick Sherrod and Datone Jones, only Perry did anything worth note.

So I guess I came around to the idea of A) Let's not put all our chickens in the Aaron Rodgers basket, both for this year, next year and the years after that. B) This pick does not at all mean we will move on from Aaron Rodgers. C) Aaron for some reason seems to play out of his mind whenever he gets the impression someone is doubting him.

This D has the potential to be really really good and with just a handful of superstars on O, Bak, Adams and Jones, hard to envision us not being successful especially if Aaron elevates his game from recent years. I would not be the slightest bit shocked if he was still our QB in 4 years.
That is simply not true. I have watched football since Vince Lombardi was coach. During this time the Bears have NEVER had a competent QB. Never! And yet the have won Super Bowls and have very often made the playoffs. They are proof that a competent QB is not necessary to win in the NFL. They may not have been the best team in the NFL but they are far from the worst despite having the worst QB's in the NFL
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 28 Aug 2020 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Aug 2020 02:09
BF004 wrote:

That is simply not true. I have watched football since Vince Lombardi was coach. During this time the Bears have NEVER had a competent QB. Never! And yet the have won Super Bowls and have very often made the playoffs. They are proof that a competent QB is not necessary to win in the NFL.
Skeptic is absolutely right about Da Bears QBs. After Sid Luckman, there is nobody. See https://www.ranker.com/list/all-chicago ... ranker-nfl

1 Sid Luckman

2 Jim McMahon

3 Jay Cutler

4 Jim Harbaugh

5 George Blanda

6 Erik Kramer

7 Kyle Orton

8 Bobby Douglass

9 Jim Miller

10 Mitchell Trubisky

11 Doug Flutie

12 Rex Grossman

13 Josh McCown

14 Johnny Lujack

15 Mike Tomczak

16 Bill Wade

17 Vince Evans

18 Steve Fuller

19 Steve Walsh

20 Rudy Bukich

21 Ed Brown

22 Jack Concannon

23 Dave Krieg

24 Brian Griese

25 Bob Avellini

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think the quality of the Bears argument is funny because it completely depends on perspective.

I am a 1990 baby. The only NFL I know is Brett Favre and beyond.

I'm not just saying this because of the song but when I look at the Bears, I look at them like they suck.

Sure they are ahead of Detroit in terms of quality in the division over the last 30 years, but that isn't saying much.

The Packers have owned them. And I would say there is really only one year, 2006, where they were any good. All of the other years they were fake good. Their ending position was better than they were. I am talking about 2001 and 2010 where they won the division, but everybody knew the better team in the division was the Packers. Let's give them 2018. They deserved that, but it resulted in 0 playoff wins.

Since the Brett Favre Era, Chicago has two playoff wins. 1 in 1994 vs MN and 1 in 2010 vs Seattle outside of their flash in the pan 2006 season.

So again, coming from a 90s baby, the Bears are a distant 3rd in the division behind MN and it isn't even close.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
BF004 wrote:

That is simply not true. I have watched football since Vince Lombardi was coach. During this time the Bears have NEVER had a competent QB. Never! And yet the have won Super Bowls and have very often made the playoffs. They are proof that a competent QB is not necessary to win in the NFL. They may not have been the best team in the NFL but they are far from the worst despite having the worst QB's in the NFL

neither is this, the 1985 Bears won the SB with arguably one of the best defenses in NFL history, and a offense, though aging a bit still new how to win a game, and McMahan while not great, didn't cost the Bears games, and he sure as hell was competent, Jim could make every throw in the game, and was a good field general, if he wasn't competent why would Holmgren and Wolf bring him aboard to back up Favre, I don't know why people have to put down players from other teams to to strengthen there opinions, everyone knows it's possible to win without a great QB, why people disagree with this is anyones guess, however having Rodgers and Favre sure made it easier

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
BF004 wrote:

You could argue Jim McMahon was a competent QB. At least he wasn't a liability, and similar to the Joe Flacco's or Trent Dilfer's of the world (none I would consider bad), but that is about the low end that exists for winning a Super Bowl and you need an elite rushing game and an elite defense.

So I think it is true, if you do not have a QB, I am taking that to mean a liability, such as a Kizer or Hundley or countless other Bears QB's, you simply do not have a shot even with a historically good components around it. So need to make sure you have at the very minimum a top 10-15 QB on your team or you simply just don't even have a realistic chance, again, unless you have the '85 Bears D and Walter Payton on your team.