JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

JJ Watt

Post by Pugger »

Just now according to Ian Rapoport the Texan are releasing JJ! :shock: Could we scoop him up with a more cap friendly contract??

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

We could, but it would have to be pretty friendly. I fully expect him to end up in Pittsburgh.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

only if he thinks we can win a SB, I don't see how we can afford him though, we have pass rushers, we don't have CB's DT's or ILB's not to even speak about offensive needs, love to have him, just don't see it happening.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

So many emotions. So. Many. Emotions.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I will say, Z is a very talented football player... as was Clay Matthews, but they are not "that guy". Favre had Reggie and we won a Super Bowl. Rodgers had Woodson and we won a Super Bowl. Getting Watt would be that guy, that face of the defense that could get us back again. Also one of those guys that then makes Z and everyone else on defense that much better around him.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Let's all get our hopes up super high so it hurts more later!!

:waiting:

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

If there's a way to swap Perton for JJ for a similar overall cap effect, would love it. But I guess I love the idea of having a Watt in GB uniform more than what improvement I would expect for it to bring.

And it all depends so much on what the new DC wants to do. Pettine routinely fielded 3 OLBs, dunno if Barry will.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Give me JJ over Preston 99 times out of a 100 and for a lower 2021 cap hit if we want.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:02
We could, but it would have to be pretty friendly. I fully expect him to end up in Pittsburgh.
I could see him wanting to play with his brothers but I suspect we are closer to the promised land than the Steelers are.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:22
Give me JJ over Preston 99 times out of a 100 and for a lower 2021 cap hit if we want.
This, if it's gonna be a serious consideration.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would love it, but not expecting it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

For what it's worth, Watt does still fondly remembers what it's like to play for a Wisconsin based sports program.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2020/10 ... ne-related

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

He still shows up in Madison from time to time.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:24
NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:02
I could see him wanting to play with his brothers but I suspect we are closer to the promised land than the Steelers are.
you mean there are more then two double digit Watts? :lol: ( name and yearly sack totals, double digits)

I'd swap Watt for Presten

Salmar: if Barry wants to use that 50 front, then he will need edge rushers that can drop and cover.

whoops, I forgot about Derek Watt :thwap:
Last edited by Yoop on 12 Feb 2021 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

JJ's twitter announcement.

He's wearing a Badgers hoodie and speaks of family and home albeit when referencing his time in Houston.

That settles it! He's coming back! Mark! It! Down!

...or at least this is how I envision the speculative conversation evolving. ;)

Honestly, though, this wouldn't surprise me in the least:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:13
I will say, Z is a very talented football player... as was Clay Matthews, but they are not "that guy". Favre had Reggie and we won a Super Bowl. Rodgers had Woodson and we won a Super Bowl. Getting Watt would be that guy, that face of the defense that could get us back again. Also one of those guys that then makes Z and everyone else on defense that much better around him.
I agree with this. Watt may not be the player he once was but he's still got that locker room presence and on-field drive that makes those around him better. I love the comparisons to White and Woodson, same level player at relative same point in their respective careers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Also, being he was released, we can sign Watt and still rack in the comp picks for Linsley, King, and Jones. Could be a nice haul.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:22
Also, being he was released, we can sign Watt and still rack in the comp picks for Linsley, King, and Jones. Could be a nice haul.
Mentioned that part in my last mock. ;)

Funny, cause nearly everyone would have thought trading a 4th for Watt was probably too much 3 months ago, but in the offseason, everyone is like who cares if we don't get that 4th comp pick for Linsley.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:54
NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:22
Mentioned that part in my last mock. ;)

Funny, cause nearly everyone would have thought trading a 4th for Watt was probably too much 3 months ago, but in the offseason, everyone is like who cares if we don't get that 4th comp pick for Linsley.
Trading a 4th and taking on $17.5M on last year's salary cap. Big difference.

Read More. Post Less.