Packers Resign Kevin King - 1 year $6 million

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Packers Resign Kevin King - 1 year $6 million

Post by paco »

Real numbers better be lower.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lupe on suicide watch.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

More like homicide watch.

I really do hope this is more like 3-4 with incentives to get up to 6.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Not even a huge discount. I'm disappointed but I guess we could do worse (despite what lupe says). One year deal, so hopefully this is nothing more than buying time. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal for the Packers. What if he's good? What if he sucks? I guess odds are that he lands somewhere in between, like always, and that is what we are paying for.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
23 Mar 2021 09:58
More like homicide watch.

I really do hope this is more like 3-4 with incentives to get up to 6.
Good point. Me too.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hopefully we learned from Nick Perry, should King happen to have a really good year now.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Even at $6M, can you really complain when you look at the market? Still pretty cheap for a starting CB. Yes, I know, shouldn't be starting, yada yada.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:01
can you really complain
Of course I can. I'm a Packers fan.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If he gets paid the full $6 million, that puts him at the 65th highest cornerback contract per year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Could for King, decent for the Packers.

The packers were desperate. There are worse band aids.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I mean it's fine. This guarantees that we're no worse than last year.

We're now a 2019 13-3 team who lost 1 starter going into 2020 (Bulaga), went 13-3 again, and is losing 1 starter going into 2021 (Linsley).

Consistency is great. Continuity breeds success.

But we also need to improve both the outside #2 CB and the slot CB over Sullivan. If the scheme empowers Hollman or Jackson to step up and play better (or King for that matter, but he is terrible at zone defense so I doubt it), so be it. But I think retaining King means we still need 2 CBs in the draft to compete for those spots.

It reduces pressure, but barely.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:23
It reduces pressure, but barely.
TT said:

"Quantity begets Quality through competition"

This is the first deposit into the Quantity bin and it sets the floor at CB2. I suspect there will be another vet added + a draft pick or 2 and they'll settle it on the field. Same as it ever was
IT. IS. TIME

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The fact so many are surprised we resigned King is, well, surprising to me. Everyone knew his market wasn't going to be great. As soon as he didn't sign those first few days, you knew he was going to get a 1 year deal someplace. Packers made the most sense. Familiar with the defense (even though its changing), the locker room, everything. Gets his chance to reset the market and despite what everyone says he was not horrible all year.

Was he good? No. Would I like an upgrade? Yes. Will we get one? Very possible still. Gutey is not done addressing this position this year. So sit back and relax. This team is better with King on it than off of it right now. A rookie or another FA may very well beat him out this year.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So we are essentially the exact same team minus Linsley, Wagner, Kirksey and Jamaal Williams at this point?

Not a bad thing on the D side, we were very young. Our oldest/most tenured players last year where Amos, Z and Preston. They were all like 27 last year.

New coordinator coming in, but should be a lot of familiarity from this team that was starting to looking really good down the stretch.

Don't love bringing back King, that last game was just so bad. But still many worse than him, 65th highest paid corner, doesn't seem like we are expecting him to be even an average level starter. Would really like to go CB in the first or second round in the draft this year, quite a few guys I really like around 29.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:24
The fact so many are surprised we resigned King is, well, surprising to me. Everyone knew his market wasn't going to be great. As soon as he didn't sign those first few days, you knew he was going to get a 1 year deal someplace. Packers made the most sense. Familiar with the defense (even though its changing), the locker room, everything. Gets his chance to reset the market and despite what everyone says he was not horrible all year.

Was he good? No. Would I like an upgrade? Yes. Will we get one? Very possible still. Gutey is not done addressing this position this year. So sit back and relax. This team is better with King on it and off of it right now. A rookie or another FA may very well beat him out this year.
I mean I think I explicitly said at least once that I could see us bringing him back but only for the reasons that he's not very good so people won't want to sign him and he'll be cheap. This was always a possibility.

But I see him both as a position that needed to be improved upon AND an even worse fit for what we're looking to do on defense given his abysmal track record playing zone.

So it's not surprise so much as it's disappointment. Yes, he expressly cost us the NFC championship game, and that left a bad taste, but that game was also not an outlier--he routinely played badly. So for me it's less the emotional reaction to the one bad game and more the "this guy has been the weak link in our secondary for multiple years now and while his ceiling is sky high, what makes us think he's going to reach it, ever?"

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:

Was he good? No. Would I like an upgrade? Yes. Will we get one? Very possible still. Gutey is not done addressing this position this year. So sit back and relax. This team is better with King on it than off of it right now. A rookie or another FA may very well beat him out this year.
Completely agree. I saw this outcome as more and more likely as we went further into FA with no news around him. He was not great, he let us down bigly in the NFCCG, but there are MUCH worse options.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:27
paco wrote:

Was he good? No. Would I like an upgrade? Yes. Will we get one? Very possible still. Gutey is not done addressing this position this year. So sit back and relax. This team is better with King on it and off of it right now. A rookie or another FA may very well beat him out this year.
I mean I think I explicitly said at least once that I could see us bringing him back but only for the reasons that he's not very good so people won't want to sign him and he'll be cheap. This was always a possibility.

But I see him both as a position that needed to be improved upon AND an even worse fit for what we're looking to do on defense given his abysmal track record playing zone.

So it's not surprise so much as it's disappointment. Yes, he expressly cost us the NFC championship game, and that left a bad taste, but that game was also not an outlier--he routinely played badly. So for me it's less the emotional reaction to the one bad game and more the "this guy has been the weak link in our secondary for multiple years now and while his ceiling is sky high, what makes us think he's going to reach it, ever?"
He may have been a weak link some of the time. I think he played well in some games. In addition, i think the d looked a million times worse when his backups were playing bc he was hurt...but you may be right about most of the things you said...

You still have to look at what we could have done to replace him though. Certainly the top choice would be to pay Pederson the 10m, then pay Fuller, but after that...putting a band aid on a position for one year as a guy fights to remain in the league with a familiar player is not the worst idea. So yeah it stinks we couldnt replace him with a great CB, but i think it was obvious the org was not going to spend the money, or do what was required to get under the cap enough to spend big at that spot.

To be honest, if PP would have been willing to come to GB it could have easily come down to PP and no aaron jones, or Aaron Jones and King and no PP and the team chose to keep the RB.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:40
To be honest, if PP would have been willing to come to GB it could have easily come down to PP and no aaron jones, or Aaron Jones and King and no PP and the team chose to keep the RB.
Patrick Peterson at $8+ up to $2 in incentives versus Kevin King at $6 (probably including some incentives) would in NO way have cost us Aaron Jones. Xavier Rhodes also signed for 1-year $6.5 which means there likely could have been a deal at 7 or so to sway him. Plus there are a lot of zone-friendly corners out there. Troy Hill (who had a bad playoff game much like Kevin King, but unlike Kevin King was actually good the rest of the year) signed a 4-year deal worth $6M/year.

I'm not really a "names" guy and re-signing King is fine, but to act as if the other options available would have come at some greater expense to team continuity is objectively false.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
RIP JustJeff