The Looming 2022 Packers Cap Crunch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

British
Reactions:

The Looming 2022 Packers Cap Crunch

Post by British »

This is a pretty stunning cap crunch coming down the chute next season.

And it doesn't even include Devante who is not yet under contract for 2022.

How might the Packers go about addressing this?

Who are the likely cap casualty candidates?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think the best place to start is a likely $25 million to $40 million in cap increase from the league. Then you save another $12 million by cutting Preston Smith.

Then you push some cap into 2023 when you cut more players for the new era. I'm thinking of players like Rodgers, Z and Bakh.

But this is basically why I have been saying for months now that our window is likely concluding at the end of 2022. It is also why I am "okay" with moving on from Rodgers after 2022 because we likely won't have the resources at time to field a top notch contending team without a reset.
Last edited by go pak go on 07 Apr 2021 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sign Aaron to an extension with 12 voidable years to spread out the cap hit

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Thanks for stealing my research Ken Ingalls!
:)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

It's not nearly as bad as it looks. By not pushing more money out of 21 into 22 (yet) they have left themselves more flexibility to push 22 money into 23 when the new tv deal gives the cap a major boost. For one, after this season the Packers can decide what they want to do with Rodgers contract- either a restructure with adding a few years or certainly can trade/move on if they see fit (I think this is unlikely.) Preston Smith will for sure be redone or cut after this season, depending on this season. Z Smith can be restructured after this season. Billy Turner restructured or move on.

The biggest factor will be the development of the 20 and 21 draft picks this camp and preseason. I'm not too scared at this point, I think the Packers have a plan, and it's been working pretty well so far.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Madcity_matt wrote:
10 Apr 2021 10:12
It's not nearly as bad as it looks. By not pushing more money out of 21 into 22 (yet) they have left themselves more flexibility to push 22 money into 23 when the new tv deal gives the cap a major boost. For one, after this season the Packers can decide what they want to do with Rodgers contract- either a restructure with adding a few years or certainly can trade/move on if they see fit (I think this is unlikely.) Preston Smith will for sure be redone or cut after this season, depending on this season. Z Smith can be restructured after this season. Billy Turner restructured or move on.

The biggest factor will be the development of the 20 and 21 draft picks this camp and preseason. I'm not too scared at this point, I think the Packers have a plan, and it's been working pretty well so far.
I hope you're right Matt. But Ken is probably the leading tracker of the Packers cap situation and he thinks it's pretty dire next year. In terms of the Packers plan, he thinks it's 'go all in' this year and hope to win a SB and then take some painful measures after that. Will certainly be an eventful 18 months off the field for the Packers.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

British wrote:
10 Apr 2021 16:53
I hope you're right Matt. But Ken is probably the leading tracker of the Packers cap situation and he thinks it's pretty dire next year. In terms of the Packers plan, he thinks it's 'go all in' this year and hope to win a SB and then take some painful measures after that. Will certainly be an eventful 18 months off the field for the Packers.
I mean we're certainly in a bit of a "you can't keep everyone" phase, but the only people who think this situation is dire are people who just refuse to believe how big the TV deals are going to be even though they've already been announced. Moving money from 22 into 23 will be relatively easy;; should look something like this offseason with all the renegotiations leaking out over time and then when the new cap year starts, we look around and realize everyone is still on the roster and we didn't even have to pull out the big guns (Rodgers' cap, Adams extension, etc.). Next year maybe we'll pull out the big guns. But it's genuinely going to be alright.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Apr 2021 17:05
British wrote:
10 Apr 2021 16:53
I mean we're certainly in a bit of a "you can't keep everyone" phase, but the only people who think this situation is dire are people who just refuse to believe how big the TV deals are going to be even though they've already been announced. Moving money from 22 into 23 will be relatively easy;; should look something like this offseason with all the renegotiations leaking out over time and then when the new cap year starts, we look around and realize everyone is still on the roster and we didn't even have to pull out the big guns (Rodgers' cap, Adams extension, etc.). Next year maybe we'll pull out the big guns. But it's genuinely going to be alright.
That's exactly where my head's at. You can't keep everyone (see Linsley, C.) but they should be able to get creative enough to keep the core together.