General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

General Packers News 2020

Post by Pckfn23 »

Click to read the entire thread. Pretty good read.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The perception and the reality of Aaron Rodgers' contract...

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just to be fair, this is 2021:

I mean how awesome and easy was that?!!! I snipped the spotrac table, uploaded it with the imgur button and posted! Took 45 seconds!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Mar 2020 11:30
I was speaking in terms of our ability to maneuver against the cap THIS year. It all fits together, I get it.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
28 Mar 2020 11:36
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Mar 2020 11:30
I was speaking in terms of our ability to maneuver against the cap THIS year. It all fits together, I get it.
Oh ya, I wasn't commenting on what you said, just knew Rodgers' cap hit spikes next year. Putting another $15 million into QB next year is going to get interesting.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Mar 2020 14:31

Click to read the entire thread. Pretty good read.
Favre flirted with retirement for a few years, no long term commitment.

Aaron just said this

I’m out on day one or two QBs for a while.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I never was, why fix what isn't broken, add some receiver talent, and this offense and Rodgers will be a lot better

Isn't the cap suppose to increase next year? if so we'll be better able to handle Rodgers increase

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
28 Mar 2020 13:21
I never was, why fix what isn't broken, add some receiver talent, and this offense and Rodgers will be a lot better

Isn't the cap suppose to increase next year? if so we'll be better able to handle Rodgers increase
How is the cap going to increase when the league loses 40% of its revenue due to empty stadiums?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Mar 2020 16:01
Yoop wrote:

How is the cap going to increase when the league loses 40% of its revenue due to empty stadiums?
TV deals trump stadium gates and its not even close.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
28 Mar 2020 19:03
TheSkeptic wrote:
Yoop wrote:

According to the Green Bay Packers’ 2018 annual report, the NFL earned over $8.1 billion in national revenue last year, meaning each team received about $255 million in national revenue from the league.

Local revenue, which consists of ticket sales, concessions, and corporate sponsors, is earned by the teams themselves. In 2018, the Packers earned $196 million in local revenue, 43% of their total revenue that year, which was $455 million.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/p ... -money.asp

There is no breakout of sales of jerseys, etc, but it seems that tickets are about 40% of revenue. Just as I said. And if 40% goes away, the cap goes down.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

It would be nice if he played at a high level for 5 or 6 more years, but we'll see. His decline the past 2 years is real. He can bounce back, but it's by no means a given.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Mar 2020 02:27
NCF wrote:
28 Mar 2020 19:03
TheSkeptic wrote:

According to the Green Bay Packers’ 2018 annual report, the NFL earned over $8.1 billion in national revenue last year, meaning each team received about $255 million in national revenue from the league.

Local revenue, which consists of ticket sales, concessions, and corporate sponsors, is earned by the teams themselves. In 2018, the Packers earned $196 million in local revenue, 43% of their total revenue that year, which was $455 million.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/p ... -money.asp

There is no breakout of sales of jerseys, etc, but it seems that tickets are about 40% of revenue. Just as I said. And if 40% goes away, the cap goes down.
Yeah, if the Covid-19 shutdown continues into the NFL season then I can't see how it won't have a negative impact on the 2021 cap. As I understand the TV deal, it'll increase year-over-year but will it grow so much and compensate for (up to) 40% loss in ticket revenue?

If not, then the Rodgers' contract does become an issue. I would imagine just about every team would be facing the same issues, though.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
29 Mar 2020 06:32
Yeah, if the Covid-19 shutdown continues into the NFL season then I can't see how it won't have a negative impact on the 2021 cap.
Because the NFL won't allow it. There is no way the NFL is playing games to empty stadiums. If this is still an issue in August and September, I think the NFL will postpone games until its deemed safe to play to full houses again. They are not losing that revenue and by extension, then, the TV deals can continue to be negotiated where I think we all understand the only way those will go is up.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
29 Mar 2020 04:34
It would be nice if he played at a high level for 5 or 6 more years, but we'll see. His decline the past 2 years is real. He can bounce back, but it's by no means a given.
sure there probably is some decline with athletic ability due to past injury and age, but imo the biggest reason for decline is scheme and surrounding talent, when you don't have receivers that fit the scheme (018) or you have a bunch of young mid tier talent ( MVS, ESB, etc.) in a new scheme your bound to struggle.

when a receiver fails to run routes consistently how is a QB suppose to know where to throw the ball? imo this is a big reason for some of what we think are inacurate throws, theres rarely time for Rodgers to wait for the receiver to make his break, it's up to the receiver to be at the catch point on schedule, and when they take a extra step, the ball looks over thrown, I think another year in Lafluers schemes will help everyone on offense, Rodgers and receivers the most.

people are so down on Rodgers, yet we've heard he works just as hard at his craft as the coaches, so when others like Janice, or years back with Finley, and guys that use short cuts to learn or simply wont put in the effort screw up, he verbally abuses them, wont throw to them, and eventually they don't see the field, and that to me is exactly how that should be handled, Finley's talents saved his butt, he, Mac, and Rodgers had a sit down and hashed it out, and Finley buckled down and he and Rodgers became a great tandem, Janice was just a athlete with a smart as s grin on his face that would not take to coaching, no one is gonna waste there time with a guy like that, and havn't.
Rodgers wants another SB trophy just as much as anyone else at Lambeau, and he still has the talent to win one.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2020 07:09
APB wrote:
29 Mar 2020 06:32
Yeah, if the Covid-19 shutdown continues into the NFL season then I can't see how it won't have a negative impact on the 2021 cap.
Because the NFL won't allow it. There is no way the NFL is playing games to empty stadiums. If this is still an issue in August and September, I think the NFL will postpone games until its deemed safe to play to full houses again. They are not losing that revenue and by extension, then, the TV deals can continue to be negotiated where I think we all understand the only way those will go is up.
The NFL got super lucky with the timing of the Covid-19 pandemic. 5 months to go 'til the real money-makers - regular season games - are supposed to start.

If the regular season is affected, I expect the league to work out some kind of exceptional cap compromise.

If the cap were to go down, most teams could get under it rather easily, but the UFA class would be ENORMOUS due to teams not being able to re-sign their stars. The Eagles, Bears and Saints would likely be forced to some heavy cuts, other teams not so much.

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

Looks like Geronimo Allison is signing with the Detroit Lions.

Wish him well, but it was time to move on from G-Mo.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

With Allison gone, I would be floored if we didn't go WR in the first round.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
29 Mar 2020 11:42
Funchess basically replaces Geronimo. I don't think either move changes the plan that much. I don't see WR a guarantee in the 1st.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
29 Mar 2020 11:51
TheGreenMan wrote:
Funchess basically replaces Geronimo. I don't think either move changes the plan that much. I don't see WR a guarantee in the 1st.
I think the biggest need before Funchess was WR. Now that Funchess washes out GMO, it still is.

There comes a time when we need to stop farting around and get Rodgers an immediate impact guy at the WR. The last crop of 3 have left a bad taste in my mouth.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
29 Mar 2020 11:56
paco wrote:
29 Mar 2020 11:51
TheGreenMan wrote:
I think the biggest need before Funchess was WR. Now that Funchess washes out GMO, it still is.

There comes a time when we need to stop farting around and get Rodgers an immediate impact guy at the WR. The last crop of 3 have left a bad taste in my mouth.
I get that, but does it have to be in the 1st? You don't think an impact guy, in this WR class, will be there in the 2nd round?
RIP JustJeff