2020 Positional Draft Talk - IDL

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

2020 Positional Draft Talk - IDL

Post by Pckfn23 »

What information have you found on interior defensive linemen?! Share here.

We can dream, right?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm SO sad he didn't enter the draft last year when he would easily ave been available to us (he considered it; was one of the higher-profile declaration decisions). I was big into him then. Now he'd have to, I dunno, release a video on draft night of himself shooting heroin or something for us to have a chance.

DL feels to me like a more immediate concern than a rookie can solve; I'm fairly nervous about it, honestly, though there are a fair share of good ones, especially to stop the run this year (last year was all about the twitchy interior rush DTs)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Davon Hamilton, DT - Ohio State
NFL DRAFT2020 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Ohio St DT Davon Hamilton
ByNick FarabaughPosted on January 20, 2020 at 10:30 am 16 Comments
From now until the 2020 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

# 53 Davon Hamilton/IDL Ohio State – 6’4”, 310 lbs

The Good

Really good play strength with a solid bull-rush
Good explosive athlete
First step is solid, quick off the line
Does a great job with his hands to stack and shed blocks
Absolutely destroys double teams by getting skinny and splitting them
Some surprising flexibility to dip and change direction
Really good field vision
Solid length for the position
High IQ player with great gap discipline
A guy that can shift all along the line from NT to 5T
Motor runs hot all day long
Experienced player that played over 40 games
Some really good moves with a swim, club-rip, and push-pull
The Bad

OUR LATEST VIDEOS
Lack of production
Tries to be a little too fancy at times rather than using his strength and athleticism
Would like to see him go to punch the ball more often
Could stand to work on his counters
A little slim, not too trunky
Could stand to use his length fully

Bio

2019: 28 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 6 sacks
Career: 66 tackles, 20 TFL, 7 sacks
Used as a rotational guy his whole career
Described by Ohio State HC Ryan Day as a “glue guy”
Senior Bowl invitee
https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/2020- ... -hamilton/
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

McShay's Latest Top 99:
3. Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn (94)
15. Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina (91)
21. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU (90)
40. Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (86)
41. Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma (85)
47. Jordan Elliott, DT, Missouri (84)
61. Jason Strowbridge, DT, North Carolina (80)
63. Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama (79)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Mar 2020 11:58
McShay's Latest Top 99:
3. Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn (94)
15. Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina (91)
21. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU (90)
40. Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (86)
41. Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma (85)
47. Jordan Elliott, DT, Missouri (84)
61. Jason Strowbridge, DT, North Carolina (80)
63. Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama (79)
wow, Madubuike being as high as Gallimore is surprising; both that Madubuike is 10 spots higher than I expected and that Gallimore is 10 spots lower than I expected.

Madubuike is a guy I'm intrigued by at 62--sometimes seems unblockable--but I'd like him a lot more if he were a liiitttttle heavier, but he plays a little bigger, if you ask me

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2020 20:47
Davon Hamilton, DT - Ohio State
NFL DRAFT2020 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Ohio St DT Davon Hamilton
ByNick FarabaughPosted on January 20, 2020 at 10:30 am 16 Comments
From now until the 2020 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

# 53 Davon Hamilton/IDL Ohio State – 6’4”, 310 lbs

The Good

Really good play strength with a solid bull-rush
Good explosive athlete
First step is solid, quick off the line
Does a great job with his hands to stack and shed blocks
Absolutely destroys double teams by getting skinny and splitting them
Some surprising flexibility to dip and change direction
Really good field vision
Solid length for the position
High IQ player with great gap discipline
A guy that can shift all along the line from NT to 5T
Motor runs hot all day long
Experienced player that played over 40 games
Some really good moves with a swim, club-rip, and push-pull
The Bad

OUR LATEST VIDEOS
Lack of production
Tries to be a little too fancy at times rather than using his strength and athleticism
Would like to see him go to punch the ball more often
Could stand to work on his counters
A little slim, not too trunky
Could stand to use his length fully

Bio

2019: 28 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 6 sacks
Career: 66 tackles, 20 TFL, 7 sacks
Used as a rotational guy his whole career
Described by Ohio State HC Ryan Day as a “glue guy”
Senior Bowl invitee
https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/2020- ... -hamilton/
I have not looked at hardly anybody in the draft, but I really like Hamilton. Any idea what round he might be?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
02 Apr 2020 09:00
I have not looked at hardly anybody in the draft, but I really like Hamilton. Any idea what round he might be?
I do, too, but I've seen him anywhere from late second to early 5th, so it's hard for me to get much of a read on it. I think he is the right "type" for what we could use right now, though.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pretty sparse class:

Round 1:
Brown
Kinlaw
Blacklock

Round 2:
Madubuike
Gallimore
Davidson

Round 3:
Davis
Elliott
Hamilton

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can’t believe how little I’ve looked into this group given it’s a fairly sizable need and absolutely in play for pick 30.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

The only problem with Blacklock is the Achilles from 2017 or 18? Not sure if someone, especially a football player, ever fully recovers from that. I like the guy..just a little worried about that. Not sure I like him at 30 though. With our luck at picking 1st rd dts..I think I would rather get one in rd 2-5.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I really don't see a guy around 30 that seems to fit what we like, size or athletically, and might be available there.

It wouldn't shock me if we take someone, but I just have a really hard time seeing any of those guys fitting in at 30.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
20 Apr 2020 22:26
I really don't see a guy around 30 that seems to fit what we like, size or athletically, and might be available there.
Madubuike is like Dean Lowry on steroids. He fits our mold. He does everything that Dean does well and would probably hold up better inside, as well. Better prospect for a long-term interior pass rusher, as well.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
21 Apr 2020 08:44
BF004 wrote:
20 Apr 2020 22:26
Madubuike is like Dean Lowry on steroids. He fits our mold. He does everything that Dean does well and would probably hold up better inside, as well. Better prospect for a long-term interior pass rusher, as well.
I was intrigued by him because of a good RAS, but just looks like he has no explosion on the cuts I watched of him. I would be very underwhelmed selecting him and would likely take a good while to come around to him.

Also at 6'3" and average at best arm length, doesn't seem like he would be a target of ours for a first round pick.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm not sure I really like this class of DTs early (outside of Brown and Kinlaw, of course). After that, there are a ton of undersized guys who could be 3-tech penatrators, in the mid-first to late-second round area. The guys I'm interested in are bigger and/or better against the run (I know you can be a good run defender through more of a gap-penetrator or smaller frame, but aside from Blacklock, I don't see a ton of that here.

So even though I recognize it as a position of need, I'd almost prefer to wait until day three and go with more of a run-first nose tackle. I like Davon Hamilton and Leki Fotu a lot (Hamilton, ready-made, Fotu, more raw), and could see them in the 3rd, 5th, or in between. If later, I like Braavion Roy, might be ok trying out John Penisini in the 7th, but something about him turns me off--both of those guys really flashed at the Shrine Bowl this year. Could really get behind Darrion Daniels back there, as well.

But I struggle to see how the more penetrating, smaller types on Day 3 (or even round 3) are going to be better than Keke.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 11:47
I'm not sure I really like this class of DTs early (outside of Brown and Kinlaw, of course). After that, there are a ton of undersized guys who could be 3-tech penatrators, in the mid-first to late-second round area. The guys I'm interested in are bigger and/or better against the run (I know you can be a good run defender through more of a gap-penetrator or smaller frame, but aside from Blacklock, I don't see a ton of that here.

So even though I recognize it as a position of need, I'd almost prefer to wait until day three and go with more of a run-first nose tackle. I like Davon Hamilton and Leki Fotu a lot (Hamilton, ready-made, Fotu, more raw), and could see them in the 3rd, 5th, or in between. If later, I like Braavion Roy, might be ok trying out John Penisini in the 7th, but something about him turns me off--both of those guys really flashed at the Shrine Bowl this year. Could really get behind Darrion Daniels back there, as well.

But I struggle to see how the more penetrating, smaller types on Day 3 (or even round 3) are going to be better than Keke.
Agree with lot of that. I really only like Kinlaw and Gallimore, Kinlaw won't be there at 30 and not sure if Gallimore will be on our radar with his size and gap shooting play style.

Gotta say, I really don't see it with Brown either. Don't get the top 5 hype with him at all. Not even sure what makes him top 15.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2020 11:52
Gotta say, I really don't see it with Brown either. Don't get the top 5 hype with him at all. Not even sure what makes him top 15.
Interesting; I haven't looked at him at all this year. I loved him last year, though. I think he has a chance to follow the Kenny Clark trajectory to a tee. But a lot of that evaluation came from the fact that last year he was young and hadn't put it all together yet. I guess another year that goes by, that may be less true? But I still loved the player I saw last year. Didn't seem worth scoping out again given his alleged top 10 draft status this year, so I haven't.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

agree, we got penetraters, what we need is a guy that can drop anchor, remember that ol saying, "Hold that line" we didn't do that so well.

I rewatched that NFCC game at least 3 or 4 times, parts anyway, and what jumps out is that we know how to penetrate, we penetrated ourselves right out of that game :cry: it was pathetic, Adams, Keke, Lowery, would just drive those gaps in one direction while the runner was a gap over running right by them in the other, that stuff works great if you jump the right gap, if not, you just made sure you wont be a part of that play, and we did that for most of the game, so ya, I think waiting till the 3rd or later for a 2gaping run stuffer would be a smart investment.