Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - Round 1 - Pick 29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - Round 1 - Pick 29

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Freak athlete, great size, I like it.

Was always around that 30-45 range, so not a reach, probably our biggest need.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I don't know a whole lot about him, but looks crazy on his feet for his size.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I am totally fine with this pick
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I watched some and was a little underwhelmed. I will have to dig in now. I love the athlete.

Read More. Post Less.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Works for me.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I watched him a little a few weeks back, didn't love or hate him.

Didn't realize what an athlete he was. 38.5 vertical.

“I pretty much believe I’m one of the best. I’m trying to solidify that I’m not that underrated,” said Stokes. “I’m athletic, but everything else I’m going to work on. I am going to continue to grow as a player and a person.”

Stokes’ vertical jump was recorded at 38.5 inches, while he posted a 10-8 broad jump. He has proven that he is as athletic as they come at the cornerback position. Stokes stands at just over six-feet tall, weighing 194 pounds, giving him good size and length for the position. Stokes has most likely improved his draft stock from his eye-popping numbers, but he still has areas to improve in as well.

“I know for a fact that I have to improve my ball skills,” said Stokes. “Today, all the speed is great… but me dropping things that I know for a fact I’ve [done] over and over again, that’s the thing that is going to eat me alive the most. All I’m thinking about is the things that I did not do well today.”

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Measurably perfect. Good mentality and physicality. Not completely sold on his instincts. B+

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Don't like hearing he struggles with fluidness and tech, make me think of Josh Jackson, we'll see how she plays out.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

What nice is he doesn't have to come in and be #1, maybe not even #2. As much as we question Jackson and Sullivan, we have a little depth there. This guy brings another dimension. Only thing I don't like hearing is the tight hips stuff. But you can't teach that speed!
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Didn't have him on my radar, but I don't follow this that closely.

'Okay with the pick -- don't love it, don't hate it -- maybe even mildly excited with it... 'gives me a little bit of a Sam Shields vibe! :o
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
29 Apr 2021 22:59
Don't like hearing he struggles with fluidness and tech, make me think of Josh Jackson, we'll see how she plays out.
I mean yeah but if Josh Jackson was twice as fast he probably would look pretty good out there :P :lol:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
Looks more fluid than Jackson in my opinion.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
I still think Jackson could be something in the right system...
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I saw a ton of him at UGA. He is fast, athletic, and all of those things. He was even a playmaker. He got run over a ton in the run game. Not a great tackler.

I still thought he would go a little later in the draft. But Im not mad at the pick. More "wait and see" but I see the potential.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

CB was definitely a need, so glad we got one. Stokes looks to have veeeery quick gazelle feet and nice size.

Coach him up and let's go!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This past season, Stokes put his excellent and improved ball skills on display as he played on an island in Athens, Georgia. He racked up an extraordinary four interceptions, returning two for touchdowns, and four passes defended in nine games this season with the Bulldogs. He then took his elite box score, and then tested like an elite athlete as well.

At his pro day, Stokes ran a blazing 4.25 second 40 yard dash, testing in the top five percent in his 10 and 20 yard splits as well. He then tested in the top 12.5 percent and eight percent historically for cornerbacks in both his vertical jump (38.5 inches) and his broad jump (10-foot-8) respectively. While he did not do agility drills, these numbers push Stokes to the top one percent historically in athletic ability, hitting a 9.99 Relative Athletic Score.
Scouting report for Eric Stokes

Footwork/hips (12.75/15)
Subtle yet active, the feet of Stokes shows the ability to mirror that of the receiver across from them off the line of scrimmage. He is patient off of the line of scrimmage, remaining square to the man across from him. In short-area quickness, Stokes does not struggle to shift his weight and change directions. When momentum is built up in the intermediate to long-range, Stokes has a tendency to lose balance, causing a bit of a delay in his close and a lag in his hip flip.

Man coverage (16.75/20)
Stokes could improve in his ability to attach to the hip pocket in man coverage, relying too much on his feet. In off man, Stokes can better use his speed to his advantage as he looks to close the gap off of breaks. He does not provide much punch off the line of scrimmage but is subtle and patient with his hands to take away leverage and counter the hands of receivers down the field, forcing them towards the sideline. With the instincts to peel off of his man and into passing lanes, Stokes is an unplanned nuisance for opposing quarterbacks. At the top of routes, Stokes has more than his fair share of PI calls for getting grabby.
Zone coverage (13.5/15)
With fantastic eyes, Stokes has an uncanny feel for space in zone coverage. With legit long speed, Stokes refuses to lose over the top of the defense as he can turn and run better than anyone. He possesses great eyes in order to pass off receivers, pushes deep until he is threatened underneath, and splits the distance between receivers when multiple targets are in his zone. His recovery speed is ridiculous, and he can close a gap with little hesitation.

Ball skills (8.25/10)

Stokes is a ball magnet, using his ball skills in order to jump in front of passing lanes. He has no fear playing through the hands of wide receivers if he is not in a position to make a play at the catchpoint. While his disruptiveness at the catchpoint shows room to get stronger, Stokes is consistently in phase down the field and in a position to make a play on the football.

Tackling (8/10)
Stokes takes leverage and contain seriously in run support as he keeps the edge and forces the ball carrier back towards the action inside. The Bulldogs are not afraid to send him with fury off the edge, as he looks as though he is shot out of a missile as a blitzer. He thrives at breaking down in space and at wrapping up elusive ball carriers. Block deconstruction, however, is not a strength of Stokes’ game. While he does not deconstruct blocks well, Stokes does a great job of digging in his heels and not getting moved off the line of scrimmage.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Highlight yes, but how he gets his head around and is able to diagnose and get to the ball before it gets there is impressive.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean we are expected to be a zone heavy team with Barry and Stokes is a perfect zone CB.

I think there is a lot of reason to be very excited about this pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.