Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State - Round 5 - Pick 178

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State - Round 5 - Pick 178

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The consensus seems to be underrated, really good football player, just not a physical freak.

RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Sounds like a mini Jaire -- small but feisty/competitive --, could really benefit from playing under him. I like double-dipping at CB here, too, have him buddy up with our 1st-round pick.

Very happy with the depth/competition at corner going forward, 'sure hope Hollman and/or Jackson can "bring it" this camp.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Seems to have good feet and really good arms/ball skills.

Definitely benefited by playing QBs who have slower balls to allow Charles to break up a few plays. But I think he could be good for us in the slot.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not much on the call, but he's got a high football IQ and he seems to know it. That's a good thing.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hope he can contribute on special teams right away.

Pretty Hollman not making the roster, Josh Jackson in jeopardy.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Apparently this guy was a favorite of several individual scouts on the team and they pushed to move him further up the final board in the final days (and he was moved up) and the room was very anxiously excited to see him still there for them.

I know there's some GMspeak in all this, but I really like stories like that, where scouts are human and have favorites, too and get nervous and excited in the war room

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 May 2021 18:57
Apparently this guy was a favorite of several individual scouts on the team and they pushed to move him further up the final board in the final days (and he was moved up) and the room was very anxiously excited to see him still there for them.

I know there's some GMspeak in all this, but I really like stories like that, where scouts are human and have favorites, too and get nervous and excited in the war room
Eagles scout was pissed at one of the picks.

Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

From the Athletic/McGinn

Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State

Height: 5-foot-10½. Weight: 184. Age: 22. From: Miramar, Fla. (Miramar High School)
Ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds. Vertical jump of 30, broad jump of 10-4 and 19 reps on the bench. Arms were 30⅞ inches, hands were 8¾. Short shuttle of 4.33, 3-cone of 7.15.

Two-star recruit chose Appalachian State over Bowling Green. Redshirted in 2016, played 24 games as a backup in 2017 and ’18 and started 25 games the past two years. Led the nation with 17 passes defensed as a senior. The Mountaineers went 52-13 with five bowl victories during his five seasons. Finished with 97 tackles (one for loss), two interceptions and 33 passes defensed in 50 games (25 starts). Also was penalized 11 times over the past two seasons. Has missed time with hand and shoulder injuries.

What NFL personnel men told me about Jean-Charles before the draft

AFC scout: “He’s a free agent for us.”

NFC scout: “He had to wait his turn there. His confidence and leadership grew each year. Active player with good eyes. Shows the quickness to trigger downhill in zone coverage but is not explosive closing. Struggles as a tackler. Needs angles as a tackler or else he slides off.”
IT. IS. TIME

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Appreciate you sharing the reports, [mention]BSA[/mention] :clap: :clap: :clap:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Shemar Jean-Charles handled any 'stress' put on him
Difficult defensive duty was the norm at Appalachian State for Packers’ fifth-round pick
May 07, 2021 at 10:30 AM
Mike Spofford
packers.com senior writer

GREEN BAY – Defensive coaches will always talk about the stress points in their scheme.

Depending on certain rush or coverage calls, the stress will be placed somewhere – or more accurately, on somebody – to hold up. A double-team here means single coverage over there, or a blitz vacates an area where help or leverage might normally reside.

In Charlie Harbison's one year as the associate head coach and cornerbacks coach at Appalachian State in 2019, there was one place he never hesitated to direct the stress – on Shemar Jean-Charles.

"We put a lot of stress on him, so that way we could help other people," said Harbison, now the cornerbacks coach at Missouri, in an interview with packers.com. "He got left alone quite a bit."

Opposing offenses challenged Jean-Charles in that situation plenty, too. That's how he tallied 10 passes defended (including one interception) as a first-time starter under Harbison two years ago, and followed it up with an NCAA-leading 17 (including one INT) last season, which earned him Sun Belt Conference player of the year honors from Pro Football Focus.

In that regard, Harbison likened Jean-Charles, whom he refers to by his nickname "Sherm," to a cornerback he coached at Clemson a decade ago, Coty Sensabaugh. At 5-11 and 190 pounds, similar dimensions to Jean-Charles, Sensabaugh parlayed a high number of pass breakups into getting drafted in the fourth round by the Tennessee Titans in 2012, the first of his eight years in the NFL with six different teams.

The Packers drafted Jean-Charles in the fifth round of the 2021 draft and were surprised he was still available. General Manager Brian Gutekunst said several of the team's scouts were high on Jean-Charles and kept reminding their boss the longer he stayed on the board.

What stood out to Harbison during their one year together was how Jean-Charles was always mining for "nuggets" to improve. He'd drill down on his footwork to get it just right and study the game to be as prepared as possible for every opponent.

"He wanted to know exactly what you need from him, and he wanted to know the game plan," Harbison said. "One thing we always talked about was to study the splits of your receiver. In the first five yards of the down, it'll let you know the receiver's (route) tree. He was a student of the game."

Harbison, whose college coaching career dates back nearly 40 years at numerous big-time programs, noted he had the option of playing Jean-Charles at boundary (short side) or field (wide side) corner. He most often chose boundary, because that's where the quick throws or fades to bigger receivers would occur.

From that spot, Jean-Charles could best use his strength – he bench-pressed 225 pounds 19 times at his pro day, a very impressive number for a sub-200 pound defender – to come up and make tackles on short throws or contest fades over the top.

"He welcomed that," Harbison said of the singular duty. "Sherm is a guy that would do whatever the team needs him to do. We're on our feet, have to make plays in space and have to tackle in space, plus he has some good top end in his speed."

Jean-Charles' skills in the open field made him a regular on special teams in college, too, playing on the return and coverage units all four years after his 2016 redshirt season. Those abilities brought to mind for Harbison another of his former players, Auburn's Brandon King, who has been a core special-teamer for the Patriots since joining them as an undrafted safety in 2015.

The Packers almost certainly will look for Jean-Charles to contribute to new coordinator Maurice Drayton's special teams right away while he competes for a role on defense amidst a stable of cornerbacks that has two regulars – Kevin King and Chandon Sullivan – on one-year contracts as of now.

So opportunity will knock early and perhaps even louder down the road for Jean-Charles as he makes the transition from the Sun Belt to the NFL.

"He's not selfish. He's a team guy. He doesn't mind being in the fire," said Harbison, who called Jean-Charles to congratulate him after being drafted.

"I love this young man. I'm proud of him. He'll give his all, I know that."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel like Shemar really understands WHAT to study and how to use his film time and practice time to improve.

I'd love to see Stokes and Jean-Charles be roommates in camp and enhance each other's learning with two very hard working, willing guys both reinforcing each other's habits. Stokes seems to have been incredibly focused on understanding the bigger picture of the defense and how all the parts worked together and what everyone's role is on a given play. Jean-Charles seems to focus on minute things, footwork, specific habits of his opponents, etc.

Together, I think they will really be able to point out to each other the things they need to be focusing on based on coaching and feedback as they learn the defense. I'm really excited about the prospect of them having each other--not to mention that Stokes and Amari Rodgers have already worked out together.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 May 2021 11:38
I feel like Shemar really understands WHAT to study and how to use his film time and practice time to improve.

I'd love to see Stokes and Jean-Charles be roommates in camp and enhance each other's learning with two very hard working, willing guys both reinforcing each other's habits. Stokes seems to have been incredibly focused on understanding the bigger picture of the defense and how all the parts worked together and what everyone's role is on a given play. Jean-Charles seems to focus on minute things, footwork, specific habits of his opponents, etc.

Together, I think they will really be able to point out to each other the things they need to be focusing on based on coaching and feedback as they learn the defense. I'm really excited about the prospect of them having each other--not to mention that Stokes and Amari Rodgers have already worked out together.
Yup! Excited to see them!
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Also really looking forward to a real training camp.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Jerry Gray:
No. 1 I really like his smarts. He's a smart football player, very crafty. He understands what we're trying to get him to do. We've put him out at corner, we put him also at the star. That's going to give us a lot more chances to put guys in different positions. You could be from a small school but I really love the way he competed. When you watched the film, he's always somewhere around the ball. He was getting after it. He's only a small-school (guy) until he got to Green Bay. Now he's just like everybody like else.
Maurice Drayton:
I tell you, this draft class, I'm really excited about it. In no particular order, I really love Shemar Jean-Charles out of Appalachian State. He has an attitude about teams that I really like. Excuse my phrase, but he has this dog mentality that's kind of infectious, so we like him a lot. Of course, Amari, looking forward to big things out of him, very smooth athlete, very smart, heady. Eric Stokes, if called upon, he will be ready to play, as well as Kylin Hill. Just pleased with that group.
I feel like our 5th round CB is in a position to succeed a bit sooner than our first round CB (no offense to Stokes at all)

Pretty excited about this draft class, as long as Myers is legit. To me that's the pick we have to get right because we're counting on him to be the guy in the middle of the OLine for the next 3-5 years. Not that we don't have other C options, but spending a 2nd on an iOL he better be good. Aside from that, we just have 2 shots at CB, 2 shots at another iOL, a slot/returner who has an incredibly high floor, and a NT who has an incredibly high ceiling.

Gonna be legit.

Anyway, this is about Shemar Jean-Charles... and how he's going to be a core 4 STer and take Chandon Sullivan's job sooner rather than later.

Turk's B.B.C.
Reactions:

Post by Turk's B.B.C. »

Too bad MtneerMom doesn't check in anymore. She was always a big supporter of Jason Hunter, another App St kid. She could probably shed a little more light on SJC.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Andy Herman just did a less than inspiring deep dive into him on YouTube. I'll post the video tomorrow