Claim your longshot!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Claim your longshot!

Post by YoHoChecko »

Be it a new UDFA or a practice squad player from last year, it's time--yes before we know anything--to lay claim to your prediction for a longshot to make the roster. Who are you looking at to step up and impress and force his way onto the team?

Mine?

I've alluded to it a couple times earlier, but I'm all in on Tipa Galeai earning that situation pass rusher role with the ability and athleticism (and some college experience) dropping into zone coverage.

He had to put on some weight and refine his game, but a year on the PS and in the offseason program should do that. He was allegedly a bit of a terror off the edge in camp as a rookie, but a one-trick pony. With the new staff and a generalized use of smaller more athletic OLB edges in previous stops, I imagine Galeai can find the role that didn't really exist for him in the past and push Randy Ramsey into (further) obscurity.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

He did play in 2 games last year, but I'll go with Stanford Samuels. Why? Cuz.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I don't even know the bottom of the roster (or lower) guys anymore.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Who was that guy, played h-back for us. Caught a TD for us. That guy.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I actually like Doelante Scott as a potential Dlineman longshot as well as our 6th round rookie this year. The rookie will likely make the squad because he is a rookie, but I think he actually may have a shot at playing Dime snaps which would be a big deal.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

This is usually my favorite part of the offseason. In the spirit of going with just one, I'll claim Coy Cronk. Lack of OT depth and high pedigree, pre-injury makes me think the kid has a solid chance. I have a list of about 5 that I am really excited to see on the field even though the odds are really long.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Trudge wrote:
21 May 2021 12:21
If you are speaking about my boy, Dafney... the kid is a shoe-in, not a long-shot.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'll be watching Christian Uphoff, but there's already some hype about him so he's really not that much of a longshot.

Real longshot prediction: If ARod comes back, and the team keeps three QBs, Benkert will beat out Bortles.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Chris Blair

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Trudge wrote:
Daffney! A true fan favorite! Lovely pick

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
21 May 2021 12:11
Yeah, he's another one I really like... but also another one that I feel would be a great fit in a cover-3 Seattle-style D. It'll be interested to see what comes of him with the more crowded position room now.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
21 May 2021 13:04
I'll be watching Christian Uphoff, but there's already some hype about him so he's really not that much of a longshot.

Real longshot prediction: If ARod comes back, and the team keeps three QBs, Benkert will beat out Bortles.
Any UDFA rookie counts as a long enough shot. Just because he got some press....

I did notice that in a pre-draft column, Ross Uglem mentions Uphoff as one of three examples of potentially perfect scheme fits for the Barry scheme if it's anything like the Staley Rams last year.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
21 May 2021 12:11

from McGinn at the Athletic

I had a fourth-round grade on him,” an executive in personnel said not long after the combine. He added: “Before he ran.”
Ten days before the combine, another executive said of Samuels, “Good one-on-one cover ability, press and off. Good tackler. He’s got some talent.”

That veteran scout, one of many who takes pride in his ability to estimate accurately a player’s 40 time by watching him play, thought Samuels would clock 4.45 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

“I had given him like a third-round (grade) because he’s quick and is in position, but he ended up running 4.7,” that same scout said with some exaggeration of Samuels’ clocking. “When you run bad, there’s nothing to hang your hat on for the guy.”

In the weeks leading to the NFL Draft, Samuels ran another 40 and said he was clocked in 4.50, a time not far off from the scout’s estimate. Samuels blamed himself for “going away from my technique” in setting up on the line in Indy. He also explained that a portion of his ultra-thorough medical examination about 36 hours before the 40 left him feeling ill-prepared.

“The biggest thing of all was my legs were a little dead,” Samuels said. “They made me do a stress test before I had to run. It consisted of me getting hooked up to a bunch of cords and having to ride a resistance bike for 30 or 40 minutes.

“They said when they tested me that I had an abnormal heartbeat. So, in order for me to even participate in any on-field event that Sunday, I had to do this stress test.”
With offers from the Jets, Vikings, Rams, Chargers and Packers, he chose Green Bay over New York."

Note: During the season, the 6-foot-1 Samuels played at about 183 pounds before hitting 187 at the combine and up to 195 now.

I'm joining Paco on the Stanford Samuels III train
IT. IS. TIME

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Trudge wrote:
Crabtree?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
21 May 2021 13:08
Chris Blair
Because he burned Stokes deep in rookie minicamp?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

speaking of long, longshots - my man Bronson Kaufusi finally got issued a jersey number.
He's trying to make the Grand Canyon leap from DL to TE and will be wearing # 45 in Green & Gold

IT. IS. TIME

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2021 14:33
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
21 May 2021 13:08
Chris Blair
Because he burned Stokes deep in rookie minicamp?
Because after Adams we are thin at WR. I consider Lazard a move TE and MVS a one trick pony (tho it is an impressive trick). I think this is the year ESB gets cut.

Adams + MVS + Rodgers + Lazard leaves a spot open for a WR or two.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2021 13:10
Trudge wrote:
Daffney! A true fan favorite! Lovely pick
Ahh, yeah. That's him! Love Daffney. Watch, released last cut and there goes Rodgers again. Typical.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Doesn’t quite fit the criteria, but I’m bullish on Vernon Scott.

Mans up in the slot on wrs. Plays lb and mans up on RB holds up in the run game. Plays deep half. I thinks he’s gunna get a lot of snaps this year. Didn’t disappoint last year.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I'm claiming Yosh Nijman finally marries his crazy athleticism with technique and plays well at OT at some point.