Aaron Rodgers thread 3000

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Re: General Packer News 2021

Post by BF004 »

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of these voidable years strategy.

Lfg Aaron, just report and get your contract right.

Also trade for Julio. 😂

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 06:42
Lfg Aaron, just report and get your contract right.
If we're to believe some around here, Rodgers behavior is due in large part to the Packers not building a strong enough roster around him to be successful. In response, Rodgers refuses to budge on his contract thus hamstringing the organization in any attempt to improve the roster.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 07:33
BF004 wrote:

Also trade for Julio. 😂
Q: if trading for Julio means we get one year of Julio and Davante together, but that Devante walks after 2021, is that a deal you do?

Can’t guarantee Davante stays anyway. But financially that might force it.
I think I'm onboard for it. I'm coming to terms that Davante is a goner.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 07:33
BF004 wrote:

Also trade for Julio. 😂
Q: if trading for Julio means we get one year of Julio and Davante together, but that Devante walks after 2021, is that a deal you do?

Can’t guarantee Davante stays anyway. But financially that might force it.
When Aaron retires, we’ll have cap room to extend both. ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
02 Jun 2021 07:36
YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 07:28
BF004 wrote:
Feels like the sort of loophole that gets closed in the next round of negotiation. It’s DEFINITELY a bad practice. Not one you want to get into if you can avoid it.

The thing I loved about TT’s play it safe strategy even when it was frustrating for me or even when he was overdoing it, I knew we were always among the league’s lowest in dead money, which meant our cap could be used for our CURRENT team.

Gutey is dipping hard into dead money strategies. As a constant “the sky is not falling because the TV money is coming” proponent, even I’m starting to get a little geeked out about what we’re going to have to do to get through 22 and into the bigger TV money years
The price of a COVID year and going "all in". We have no choice but to do this, just to field a team this year. 22 is going to be a hell of a year. I expect it not to be a very good looking one.

And I agree 100% with everything you just said. I hate this and I'm betting they do too. Will be good to get back to normal in a few years.
Yeah I just think 2022 will be without Rodgers and Adams which will allow the Packers to "get by". Preston, Davante and Aaron not being on the roster will get the Packers close to being under the 2022 cap. Unfortunately more moves will need to be made though because we will need to sign quite a bit of players just to have 53 bodies.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
I think, based on information we didn't have (pre-COVID) and information we already have now (new media deals) it's prudent in the interim term to balance the transition period. Some teams are stupid... we know that, but I doubt the Packers will make this any kind of usual practice going forward.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
02 Jun 2021 08:21
BF004 wrote:
I think, based on information we didn't have (pre-COVID) and information we already have now (new media deals) it's prudent in the interim term to balance the transition period. Some teams are stupid... we know that, but I doubt the Packers will make this any kind of usual practice going forward.
No I think it came down to the Packers knowing full well the window they created and they are doing everything they can do lengthen that window.

The penalty of poor cap management, as we have discussed here many times, can honestly be taken care of in a season if you really take your medicine.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jun 2021 08:28
The penalty of poor cap management, as we have discussed here many times, can honestly be taken care of in a season if you really take your medicine.
The hard part there is just knowing exactly how deep to go. You can middle-ground it. Questions of like, do we let Z walk or give him a big extension? Do we extend an MVS or Lazard on mid-level starter money or go young and cheap at the position? Do we give Tonyan a big deal after this year to make him part of the core going forward or let him walk and stick with Deguara and draft picks as the core? Limitless questions like this about which players become your key pieces to hold into the next window/run, and which need to go to clear space.

I am interested in how all of that will shake out; but at the same time, I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself in even thinking about it. It matters entirely whether we use Rodgers in 2021 to finish out "a window" and then move on. If we move on from Rodgers before that and make 2021 the year to sort of clean up some extensions we need and start a fresh window moving into 2022 and onward? Or whether we actually wind up with a contract that keeps Rodgers in house for 3 years and try to muddle through the 2021-2022 cap without letting that window shut for another year or two after. There are too many possibilities for the decisions and questions I mention in the first paragraph to be made, but it WILL be interesting watching them navigate that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 08:39

I am interested in how all of that will shake out; but at the same time, I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself in even thinking about it. It matters entirely whether we use Rodgers in 2021 to finish out "a window" and then move on. If we move on from Rodgers before that and make 2021 the year to sort of clean up some extensions we need and start a fresh window moving into 2022 and onward? Or whether we actually wind up with a contract that keeps Rodgers in house for 3 years and try to muddle through the 2021-2022 cap without letting that window shut for another year or two after. There are too many possibilities for the decisions and questions I mention in the first paragraph to be made, but it WILL be interesting watching them navigate that.
I think this is the biggest question.

From a math standpoint, I think the Packers would finally enter the EITHER OR discussion of can you have a top end QB OR a top end team.

The answer is I believe you can have both for a time and the Packers showed they could do it for 3 seasons from 2019 - 2021 but they did it at a tremendous cost that grew even more costly because of the Covid cap. So if they keep Rodgers after 21, then other casualties will need to happen and nobody will like what the 2022 or 2023 Green Bay Packers will look like. Because the casualties of players you mentioned will need to happen at a really, really high volume.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If Rodgers wants guarantee's and increased contract money for the rest of this contract, it would be impossible to retain all players whos contracts will be up in the next 2 years, and when he does leave after 2023 we'll still be in cap hell and would take years to recover, it could work if he just wants the years guaranteed with no increase of money, I think we'll know more after the manditory workouts June 8.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
02 Jun 2021 09:27
If Rodgers wants guarantee's and increased contract money for the rest of this contract, it would be impossible to retain all players whos contracts will be up in the next 2 years, and when he does leave after 2023 we'll still be in cap hell and would take years to recover, it could work if he just wants the years guaranteed with no increase of money, I think we'll know more after the manditory workouts June 8.
Honestly, that's the thing. I think Rodgers genuinely wants the team to prove it's willing to ruin itself on behalf of extending his window with them. I think he WANTS to see Saints-style offseasons of kicking the can down the road and squeezing what needs to be squeezed. He wants to leave the team in a state that has an uncertain path future. Because IF the team does ANY planning for life without him, he interprets it as a seizure of control from him to the team over the course of his career. He's proven that. He has said, outwardly, objectively, openly, that he feels the selection of Love took away from him his control over his career-ending timeline with the team. It's the control over team personnel decisions and the process of exerting that control that upsets him. He is, as many/most successful people are, a bit of a control freak. But to the extreme that any planning for life without him feels like an insult, it makes keeping him AND planning for life without him imenently more difficult.

So yeah, giving him what he wants will leave us potentially screwed and squeezed in the out years. By design. That's literally what he's asking for at this point. He wants to see the Patriots scrambling to sign Newton and stinking after Tom Brady leaves. He wants to see the Saints trying to reclaim a washed out top pick or re-making a gadget player into a fulltime QB. He doesn't want the team to have a smooth glidepath away from him.

But we have enough Rodgers threads. Sorry to get into his psychology here. Just seems relevant to the broader team planning and transition stage at the late-stage elite QB career.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 09:35
Because IF the team does ANY planning for life without him, he interprets it as a seizure of control from him to the team over the course of his career. He's proven that. He has said, outwardly, objectively, openly, that he feels the selection of Love took away from him his control over his career-ending timeline with the team.
he said it because it's true, the drafting of his replacement (Love) a year after giving him a 4 years extension obviously gives the impression that the FO had no intention of allowing him to finish his contract here, and in all likelyhood he would be traded to the highest bidder even if he was still the best option at QB, and sense he was given the contract, and then Guty took Love he has very little faith in the words this FO uses to console him, after all he has no guarantee's, sure he and his agent where stupid to agree to a contract like that, but then maybe they thought at the time they wouldn't need it, then Guty passes on every receiver prior and post the Love pick, really sending the message who's in charge, naturally a player that has been so involved with the success of this team would get upset, you though don't seem to think he has a beef, I do, in fact if I was in his shoes I might do exactly as he is, time for some accountability from this FO.

and if Rodgers isn't under center this coming season this is going to go bad sooooo fast.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:20

and if Rodgers isn't under center this coming season this is going to go bad sooooo fast.
The Packers are likely going to be pretty bad very soon anyways. It's just will that bad come in 2021, 2022 or 2023.

Like you said, if Rodgers doesn't play this year, the really bad could happen in 2021 and leak into the future (like there is a chance it could get really, really messy if Love is really bad and players don't want to play here). On the other hand, if Rodgers does play in 2021 - 2023, the really, really bad is likely going to be in 2023. And it will probably be really, really, really bad assuming the Packers try everything in their power to keep as much of the 2022 roster together as possible kicking even more cap hit down the road.
Yoop wrote:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:26
Yoop wrote:

The Packers are likely going to be pretty bad very soon anyways. It's just will that bad come in 2021, 2022 or 2023.

Like you said, if Rodgers doesn't play this year, the really bad could happen in 2021 and leak into the future (like there is a chance it could get really, really messy if Love is really bad and players don't want to play here). On the other hand, if Rodgers does play in 2021 - 2023, the really, really bad is likely going to be in 2023. And it will probably be really, really, really bad assuming the Packers try everything in their power to keep as much of the 2022 roster together as possible kicking even more cap hit down the road.
If Love is better than average and the Packers have 3 more 1st round picks, then that "Pretty Bad" may never come. Good drafting, good coaching, and cap room to sign some decent FA's can quickly solve those issues.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:28
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

If Love is better than average and the Packers have 3 more 1st round picks, then that "Pretty Bad" may never come. Good drafting, good coaching, and cap room to sign some decent FA's can quickly solve those issues.
Yeah I agree. I think Love being better than average is a higher risk if put into the starting role in 2021. But I do think there is a decent chance that the Packers could have a good life post Rodgers if the transition occurs in the offseason of 2022.

I really do.
Yoop wrote:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:35
Acrobat wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yeah I agree. I think Love being better than average is a higher risk if put into the starting role in 2021. But I do think there is a decent chance that the Packers could have a good life post Rodgers if the transition occurs in the offseason of 2022.

I really do.
Yeah, my thoughts too. I do think he's going to be good. I more worry about him being thrown in too fast, losing his confidence and then fizzling out. Maybe that's why we brought Bortles in too.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:38
go pak go wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I really do.
Yeah, my thoughts too. I do think he's going to be good. I more worry about him being thrown in too fast, losing his confidence and then fizzling out. Maybe that's why we brought Bortles in too.
What ultimately frustrates me the most if Rodgers doesn't play this year is our roster is honestly going to be "wasted". Like I would understand why we would play Blake Bortles over Love, but at the same point it would be incredibly frustrating knowing we have this roster that is ready to do things but have a glaring weakness at the QB spot only to know we will have to or likely not have the choice of retaining many of our top players next year (like Smith, Rodgers Adams, etc.)
Yoop wrote:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:41
Acrobat wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I really do.
What ultimately frustrates me the most if Rodgers doesn't play this year is our roster is honestly going to be "wasted". Like I would understand why we would play Blake Bortles over Love, but at the same point it would be incredibly frustrating knowing we have this roster that is ready to do things but have a glaring weakness at the QB spot only to know we will have to or likely not have the choice of retaining many of our top players next year (like Smith, Rodgers Adams, etc.)
Agreed 100%. I actually think the Packers had this planned out right with moving on from Rodgers after this coming season and Rodgers is just trying to blow a big hole in it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:44
go pak go wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:41
Acrobat wrote:

Agreed 100%. I actually think the Packers had this planned out right with moving on from Rodgers after this coming season and Rodgers is just trying to blow a big hole in it.
And what really sucks is if the Packers came off a SB winning season, I think the Packers would have a higher ability to say "okay. we got our ring" and it would be easier to move on.

The allure of getting that 2nd ring is definitely burdensome.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:50
And what really sucks is if the Packers came off a SB winning season, I think the Packers would have a higher ability to say "okay. we got our ring" and it would be easier to move on.

The allure of getting that 2nd ring is definitely burdensome.
Winning the Super Bowl last year would have eliminated all of this. Rodgers wouldn't be acting this way, but if he were we could move on. But it just erases the whole narrative that "planning ahead cost us in the short term." The fan base is both spoiled by success, but also gut-wrenchingly wounded by the near-misses and "just a couple plays" that allows anyone to take a single change, a single swapped draft pick, a single player decision, a single pass, a single blown coverage, a single play call, a single FG decision.... and say "this is why we don't have a ring."

Because the team has been SO close SO often that any one thing really might change it. It muddies the big picture by zooming in super tightly on every pixel. That's as true, seemingly, for Rodgers as it is for the fans. Everyone can pick a different pixel to focus on, but the narrative won't TRULY change until the big picture has another Lombardi in it; and that is an extremely high bar with very little room for error. It just begs for high tensions.