1996 Packers Season Memories

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

1996 Packers Season Memories

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Here's my favorite memory of the Packers 1996 season. Willie Wood and Paul Hornung serving as honorary co-captions at the NFC Championship game. What are yours?

https://danielkramer.photoshelter.com/i ... eKg4j1BGzY

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'll never forget Desmond Howard that year. Wow!

Dorsey Levens in the NFCCG catching that pass in the front corner of the endzone

Butler and White harassing Bledsoe in the SuperBowl

The excitement and uncertainty of signing Andre Rison in November
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Awesome man. Is that you in the middle?

I was only 10 at the time but I was a big Rison fan.

Remember the Levens catch in the end zone as well. Good times.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

It was the last year of me living in the dark, not knowing anything about American football and never having heard of the Packers...

In 1997 I started my exchange student year in WI, and a fan was born.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Trudge wrote:
17 Jul 2021 00:45
Awesome man. Is that you in the middle?

I was only 10 at the time but I was a big Rison fan.

Remember the Levens catch in the end zone as well. Good times.
The man in the middle is the famous Packers photographer, Vernon Biever.

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

First full season I watched after 1995 playoffs and solidified my fandom as a kid

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

My first Packers memory was Chris Jacke kicking a game winner against Tampa in 1989. Unfortunately, that is my only memory of that Majikal run. I remember quite a bit of 1990, especially nearly knocking off San Fran at the height of their powers for the second straight year. 1991 was the first season I watched the grand majority of the games... bad year to start. Obviously 1992 brought a changing of the guard, so that was the true start of me becoming a fan, but I still look back fondly on those earlier years. Some of you know full well those years also coincide perfectly with Tecmo Super Bowl, so I will never, ever and could never, ever forget those teams.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
18 Jul 2021 19:30
My first Packers memory was Chris Jacke kicking a game winner against Tampa in 1989. Unfortunately, that is my only memory of that Majikal run. I remember quite a bit of 1990, especially nearly knocking off San Fran at the height of their powers for the second straight year. 1991 was the first season I watched the grand majority of the games... bad year to start. Obviously 1992 brought a changing of the guard, so that was the true start of me becoming a fan, but I still look back fondly on those earlier years. Some of you know full well those years also coincide perfectly with Tecmo Super Bowl, so I will never, ever and could never, ever forget those teams.
My first ever game, Brent Fullwood fumbled at the 1 yard line against the Chiefs. How things have changed since then.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

96 was a special year indeed. One of my favorite seasons ever, because I was able to go to every game with my dad. We tailgated every game, went in and screamed our heads off. The 49er "mud bowl" playoff game was incredible, but the Panther game where we actually clinched going to the SB takes the cake. There was no greater feeling and it was the first time I ever saw my dad cry.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
22 Jul 2021 07:52
96 was a special year indeed. One of my favorite seasons ever, because I was able to go to every game with my dad. We tailgated every game, went in and screamed our heads off. The 49er "mud bowl" playoff game was incredible, but the Panther game where we actually clinched going to the SB takes the cake. There was no greater feeling and it was the first time I ever saw my dad cry.
I could not help but think of that game watching the Bucks win at all the other night. That is kind of the bummer with the Super Bowl being on a neutral field, but it makes those Conference Title games that much more special.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

1996 was my freshman year at UofMn and I was living in dorms. Due to the dorms being a big faraday cage, getting any sort of reception on the antenna was tough. Over the course of the season us engineering students edited our antenna weekly for the game (roommate was also a GB fan), by the Super Bowl it was pretty clear. Did miss a couple games though for various reasons. I think that's the only season I missed any games on going back to 88-89.

Related to it being my freshmen year at college, 1996 was the first year I ever drank beer while watching the games.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
23 Jul 2021 07:52
1996 was the first year I ever drank beer while watching the games.
I was just reflecting back on this. I think it was 4th and long for me. First time I remember not watching back at home or hungover on my college couch. Maybe that is why I recall game details better from way back then then I do in the last decade.

:lol:

Read More. Post Less.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

NCF wrote:
23 Jul 2021 07:55
Waldo wrote:
23 Jul 2021 07:52
1996 was the first year I ever drank beer while watching the games.
I was just reflecting back on this. I think it was 4th and long for me. First time I remember not watching back at home or hungover on my college couch. Maybe that is why I recall game details better from way back then then I do in the last decade.

:lol:
Mine was 07. Was 21 so the bars were game!

To bad they allowed smoking in there for a few more years.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Trudge wrote:
23 Jul 2021 07:58
To bad they allowed smoking in there for a few more years.
Oh yeah, that was a thing, too. I never minded firing one up back then, but life is just much better now that they changed that.

Read More. Post Less.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Oh, oh, now you're going to bring out the "they can't tell me what to do" folks. :)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Half Empty wrote:
23 Jul 2021 08:23
Oh, oh, now you're going to bring out the "they can't tell me what to do" folks. :)
I'm sure there is some, but even the few smokers that I still know agree that was for the best.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Its crazy, after being in a place that allows indoor smoking, just how bad the stench of it is. Your clothes, your hair, everything.

Not all that long ago you could smoke indoors just about anywhere. Everybody smelled like that all the time.

But yeah, 1996 was a good year to be the first year I could just drink beer and watch football (very much not an every game thing though, didn't exactly have a great supply freshman yr). Watched the Super Bowl in my dorm room with a few buddies. Good times.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I remember being in middle school and going to the parade after the SB win. I went with my mom. We were sitting on the south end of the stadium, where it gets dark first due to the shadows. I was like 10 degrees and they were 2 or 2 and a half hours late arriving at the stadium after the parade through town. Then Tommy Thompson gets up and makes an @$s of his drunken self.