Cobb is back

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Cobb is back

Post by paco »

My wife will be thrilled.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

This still doesn't make sense, but the "in-the-know" crowd did NOTHING to dispel rumors after the news broke yesterday, so I figured this was a very real possibility.

Excited from a nostalgia point of view, but not sure what he really brings to the receiving core. I guess we are about to see if Rodgers is a better talent evaluator than we are.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

WOW. I'm actually pretty stunned that this turned out to be true...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This is so dumb and I really really hope the trade compensation is no more than a 5th round pick, but I am STOKED anyway. I just love this guy. And he is Amari Rodgers' de facto big brother. I'm just pleased as punch.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

huh
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:32
This still doesn't make sense, but the "in-the-know" crowd did NOTHING to dispel rumors after the news broke yesterday, so I figured this was a very real possibility.

Excited from a nostalgia point of view, but not sure what he really brings to the receiving core. I guess we are about to see if Rodgers is a better talent evaluator than we are.
100%. It might make more sense if the trade compensation is 6th or 7th, and Cobb restructures so the Texans eat a lot of his contract.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:36
NCF wrote:

100%. It might make more sense if the trade compensation is 6th or 7th, and Cobb restructures so the Texans eat a lot of his contract.
That's what I am hoping for. But this is still going to cost us quite a bit of money from future years
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:37
But this is still going to cost us quite a bit of money from future years
Not if Houston eats it. It would actually be a pretty big bargain with very little cap consequences... but then I would expect that to cost us a higher draft pick. It's a balancing act here.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

If Cobb has anything in his tank, and we can make the $$$ work, this could turn out REAL well.

I thought having Amari Rodgers handle a huge and complicated workload as our only slot/gadget guy was too optimistic. Cobb, on the other hand, certainty can do that and show the young one how it's done...

Also solves us having been very thin at the slot WR position.

Competition for the WR roster spots gonna be good...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:29
It's obviously at least C, as Rodgers' contract is being reworked and these are all happening in tandem. Sometimes Ken Ingall's obsessive tracking of the cap situation is more confusing than enlightening.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Smart money, Cobb was hurt last year and lost 6 games to a toe issue, the year prior for Dallas he did well, very well, Cobb will be a great locker room addition, a mentor for Amari, and he and Adams will be very tough to cover, add in the deep threat of MVS, and our receiver room just took a huge leap in the right direction.

if ya want to play up tempo football, and beat the pass rush then slot receivers are a must, we really missed them last year, Rodgers and Lafluer both know this and had to be on the same page with the drafting of Amari and now with Bringing in Cobb.
Last edited by Yoop on 27 Jul 2021 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:36
NCF wrote:

That's what I am hoping for. But this is still going to cost us quite a bit of money from future years
Maybe, maybe not. I hate it, if it will.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Did they change the trade rules or is Cobb's contract structured weird? Bonuses stay with the team that paid them, usually making a traded for player rather cheap to the cap since all the counts is the part the Packers owe him, which shouldn't include previous bonuses.

A traded for player should always be no cost to cut after the season.
Last edited by Waldo on 27 Jul 2021 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:38
go pak go wrote:
But this is still going to cost us quite a bit of money from future years
Not if Houston eats it. It would actually be a pretty big bargain with very little cap consequences... but then I would expect that to cost us a higher draft pick. It's a balancing act here.
Agreed. Houston is only "eating it" if we give them a nicer draft pick to do it.

My guess is we ship a 4th and EQSB to HOU so it basically replaces their 5th sent to CHI for Anthony Miller. In return, HOU eats "some" of the cap.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Waldo wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:41
Did they change the trade rules or is Cobb's contract structured weird? Bonuses stay with the team that paid them, usually making a traded for player rather cheap to the cap since all the counts is the part the Packers owe him, which shouldn't include previous bonuses.
Randal Cobb has a base salary this year of like $8.25 Million.

So that is on us unless HOU restructures to reduce the base and increase some sort of "bonus".

But we are still paying I'd bet at least $5 million for the guy.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:42
Waldo wrote:
27 Jul 2021 13:41
Randal Cobb has a base salary this year of like $8.25 Million.

So that is on us unless HOU restructures to reduce the base and increase some sort of "bonus".

But we are still paying I'd bet at least $5 million for the guy.
It's not awful if it works out. He's had injury issues but was at his best with Rodgers. Should be at his best in LaFleur's scheme. And he's still only 31, so there should still be 1 or 2 more good years. Let's just see what the deal is before we worry about it too much.
RIP JustJeff