Aaron Jones - prepping to get paid

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Aaron Jones - prepping to get paid

Post by Scott4Pack »

I checked and didn't see a thread related to the Pack (or anybody else) paying Aaron Jones soon. Ya know, will they PAY him or let him go in FA next season?

Anyhow, I saw a claim on B/R that said in 2019 he was 15th in Red Zone carries. Yet, he was 1st in Red Zone TDs (ahead of Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook).

To me, that might be the #1 telling statistic about why he should be getting a very good paycheck. He turns carries and touches in the RZ into TDs better than anybody else. That's also probably a good reason the Pack should do what they can to keep him.

What are everybody's thoughts on this? I guess it could be discussed on the level of whether we should pay him, if he should get the paycheck for the highest paid RB, or if he's simply the best RB in the game right now.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Smart teams don’t pay RBs. Every team that comes to mind for me right now has regretted it. Gurley with the Rams. David Johnson with the Cards. I’m sure the Cowboys wish they had some of that cap they sent Zekes way.

Let him walk. He will be missed... until the offseason rolls around and you can find them anywhere.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Apr 2020 05:12
I checked and didn't see a thread related to the Pack (or anybody else) paying Aaron Jones soon. Ya know, will they PAY him or let him go in FA next season?

Anyhow, I saw a claim on B/R that said in 2019 he was 15th in Red Zone carries. Yet, he was 1st in Red Zone TDs (ahead of Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook).

To me, that might be the #1 telling statistic about why he should be getting a very good paycheck. He turns carries and touches in the RZ into TDs better than anybody else. That's also probably a good reason the Pack should do what they can to keep him.

What are everybody's thoughts on this? I guess it could be discussed on the level of whether we should pay him, if he should get the paycheck for the highest paid RB, or if he's simply the best RB in the game right now.
hard to pay the high 2nd contract price for a position which normally has a short shelf life, but it really comes down to production, and the scheme you intend to use, it's hard/doubtful that we can replace Jones ability minus a high pick, just because we found him late round, doesn't mean we can repeat that luck, Jones is the best RB we've has since Ahman Green, these guys don't grow on trees, and imho we have hardly tapped into the receiver talents of Jones, but I expect we will this coming season as Matt increases the size of his play book.

so to me it's all about production, who cares what you have to pay to get it, we'll gladly pay a top tier WR or TE, yet it's likely Jones will out produce both, couple that with health, Jones is a low mileage RB, last year was really his only feature RB year, and we didn't over use him then, jones still has a lot of gas left in the tank.

normally I would just take my chances, let the RB go, thats how I visioned it would work out when we used a 2nd rounder on Lacy, but with Lafluer schemes which feature the short game more, Jones, and the RB position take on a higher priority, so depending on contract demands it would be wise to keep Jones around.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gotta make a priority list.

Clark
Bak
King
Linsley
Jones
Williams

Unless you get a very favorable deal on Jones, don’t do it.

And I’m talking like 2 years and 16 million, similar to what Melvin Gordon got. Just not worth paying a RB any more than that.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
03 Apr 2020 07:31

Clark
Bak
King
Linsley
Jones
Williams

And I’m talking like 2 years and 16 million, similar to what Melvin Gordon got. Just not worth paying a RB any more than that.
Basically you are correct, i agree. Except I would swap Jones and Linsley as I think Patrick would be a better replacement for Linsley than anyone would be for Jones.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
03 Apr 2020 07:31

Clark
Bak
King
Linsley
Jones
Williams

Guty gave Graham 10 mil. now when ya compare production, he should give Jones 22.3 mil. or there abouts :lol:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I would put Jones above Linsley, as far as FA priorities go. He and King are close, but Jones has been more reliably available.

I think Jones has four more very productive years left in him after this next one. I could take or leave him, personally. On one hand, the pure production could be replaced.

On the other hand, the guy is dynamic and practically *is* our offense. In my mind, money spent on him means that I do not need as much out of my other skill-players on offense and can save money there. That just leaves the OL, which we have done a solid job building and maintaining through draft-picks anyway.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I would go alittle more then the eckler deal. Jones is a stud but cant break the bank on a rb.

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

If Jone's 2020 season is anything like 2019 it would be insanity to not make him offer he may accept instead of letting him walk.

The QB will be 37, we're in win now mode. This decision is different than the Cardinals decision to extend Johnson or the Giants decision to draft a RB with the #2 pick. Context matters.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

HeavyD wrote:
03 Apr 2020 17:51
If Jone's 2020 season is anything like 2019 it would be insanity to not make him offer he may accept instead of letting him walk.

The QB will be 37, we're in win now mode. This decision is different than the Cardinals decision to extend Johnson or the Giants decision to draft a RB with the #2 pick. Context matters.
This is a good point. I keep hearing that the general rule of thumb is to not pay the RB's. It's easy to say that when you don't have to trot out Alex Green as your starter.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’d also put Jones above King. I just think we can draft another CB early this year and get the production by end of the year to replace King, if needed. King’s talent is there, but his health still needs to catch up a bit before we pay him so much.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
04 Apr 2020 04:54
I’d also put Jones above King. I just think we can draft another CB early this year and get the production by end of the year to replace King, if needed. King’s talent is there, but his health still needs to catch up a bit before we pay him so much.
I am not worried about King's health. With the exception of the shoulder he has been relatively healthy and the shoulder appears to be fixed permanently. I'd be a lot more worried about knees and concussions.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I'm always with the "don't pay a RB" crowd, but man would it hard be to see Jones walk.

I don't think there's been a RB on this team since Ahman Green that you had "that" sort of feeling about. You would absolutely hate to see him go, but his price might be out of the possibility.

For me personally, that list looks like this:

Clark
Bak
Jones
King
Linsley
Williams
RIP JustJeff

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Isn't the smart move to use the franchise tag on him?

The best value and production at RB is when they're young. The mistakes come when you give RBs big money expecting them to continue producing deep into their second contracts.

Why not extend Jones' time at GB by a year using the franchise tag and then let him walk after that season. That would likely get us a 3rd round comp pick.

Alternatively i'd be happy for us to tag and trade him.

With a host of other free agents to sign, we don't have the luxury of handing a big contract to a RB when you can find replacement players at his position all across the draft.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

British wrote:
04 Apr 2020 17:10

The best value and production at RB is when they're young. The mistakes come when you give RBs big money expecting them to continue producing deep into their second contracts.

Why not extend Jones' time at GB by a year using the franchise tag and then let him walk after that season. That would likely get us a 3rd round comp pick.

With a host of other free agents to sign, we don't have the luxury of handing a big contract to a RB when you can find replacement players at his position all across the draft.
Welcome to the new site, British! :lombardi:

The tag is certainly a possibility. It would be 10-11M for the one year. Aaron Jones would be wise to seek max money for his 2nd contract, thus the tag may be the only way to keep him. Could let Williams walk, and use the draft to seek potential successors to Jones.

Packers have avoided the tag like a plague, tho. Last guy tagged was Ryan Pickett in 2010, and he got a proper extension shortly after that.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
05 Apr 2020 02:55
British wrote:
04 Apr 2020 17:10

Welcome to the new site, British! :lombardi:

The tag is certainly a possibility. It would be 10-11M for the one year. Aaron Jones would be wise to seek max money for his 2nd contract, thus the tag may be the only way to keep him. Could let Williams walk, and use the draft to seek potential successors to Jones.

Packers have avoided the tag like a plague, tho. Last guy tagged was Ryan Pickett in 2010, and he got a proper extension shortly after that.
I think 10-11 is reasonable. And if he gets a major injury the Packers aren't stuck with a long contract. I disagree that you can find a replacement for him. You can find another Williams but not another Jones

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

With Melvin Gordon getting little and Gurleys contract done and likely no other big RB contracts coming, the franchise tag value might actually be quite reasonable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Apr 2020 08:59
With Melvin Gordon getting little and Gurleys contract done and likely no other big RB contracts coming, the franchise tag value might actually be quite reasonable.
I wouldn't let a impact player go till Rodgers career is over, that includes resigning Jones now, and Adams in 2 years, surround those two with another high end impact receiver, and the rest of the cheap contract receivers we have and roll with that.

I'd front load a 3 yr contract with Jones, with 1 year Guarantee if he'd take it, we are trying to improve this offense, so starting over at RB doesn't interest me in the least.

mind boggling is that Adams in 014 was the last impact player on offense drafted in the 2nd, and Sherrod in 011 was the last 1st round offensive player taken, time to flip this around for a couple years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mean, this conversation is early, right? Like, do we draft a RB this year? If we do, is it a more electric type of guy who can actually fill that void? And by the end of the season, does he look like he could be a guy? Does he fight his way onto the field like Dexter Williams couldn't this year?

If none of the above, then we probably have to extend or tag Jones next year. Bit ideally, we have his replacement in tow by the time the decision comes up.

It stinks because I LOVE J. Williams' personality and locker room, but his skillset is SO replaceable that it'd have to be, like, a $2M/year deal for me to consider keeping him. Jones, though, a great skillset, but probably priced out of my desired range. I'd have very mixed feelings about a big extension for Jones; obviously nice to keep him on the team, but paying RBs isn't my thing at all.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Apr 2020 22:06
I mean, this conversation is early, right? Like, do we draft a RB this year? If we do, is it a more electric type of guy who can actually fill that void? And by the end of the season, does he look like he could be a guy? Does he fight his way onto the field like Dexter Williams couldn't this year?

If none of the above, then we probably have to extend or tag Jones next year. Bit ideally, we have his replacement in tow by the time the decision comes up.

It stinks because I LOVE J. Williams' personality and locker room, but his skillset is SO replaceable that it'd have to be, like, a $2M/year deal for me to consider keeping him. Jones, though, a great skillset, but probably priced out of my desired range. I'd have very mixed feelings about a big extension for Jones; obviously nice to keep him on the team, but paying RBs isn't my thing at all.
The odds of finding another RB like Jones are so great that I'd rather draft a project lineman or LB. Pay Jones, 1 way or another.

As for the ideal of keeping all the impact players while we still have Rodgers, I agree. But the window is only this season and 2021/22. Rodgers is in serious decline already. The window is only 2 more years, max.