Packers sign Jaylon Smith

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Packers sign Jaylon Smith

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm pretty excited about this. At worst he is an upgrade over Ty Summers. At best he is a good upgrade over Kris Barnes.

Not expecting a lot, yet he is cheap and when Ty Summers is the bar, that is not hard to beat. Hopefully it puts a little juice in him again too.

And he was my 2016 Draft Crush. So there is that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think its a good move. I dont think Jaylon Smith is washed up at all as some people are saying. Hes only 27. It adds consistency and experience to the position. Barnes, Burks, and Summers dont cut it. Campbell has been a terrific signing that has completely changed our defense from being slow and vulnerable over the middle to pretty quick and aggressive.

I think Smith will help build on that. Its a ton of speed in the middle of the defense and hes got instincts that would have made him a top 10 pick had he not gotten hurt. I like the move enough. Its not Gilmore but its an upgrade.

The league has become an arms race for talent. Players win championships and we need to acquire better players when youve got teams like the Rams, Buccs, and even the Panthers at this point stacking up on castoff talent.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m excited! In no World is he worse than our our current ILB3. He will see the field a lot!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Honestly thought his highlights were pretty underwhelming.

Basically filled with fumbled recoveries, poor throws by QBs for INTs, a poor pass rush that tips a ball and a good cover play on the Falcons TE and some good run stops.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Went to a Cowboys forum just to see the reactions. https://cowboyszone.com/threads/jaylon- ... ed.485299/

Some were sorry to see him go but the vast majority were happy and thought he was a liability holding the defense back.

On one hand we have potentially created the ILB duo we have had since Barnett/Hawk. Maybe Bishop/Hawk depending on how you view both of them. If it doesnt work out at least we took a shot on a potential upgrade.

THIS is going all in. Small gambles with little risk and high reward. No drafting a complete class of backups and resigning the player responsible for our elimination from the playoffs. I like this one from Gute.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Good move to make. Cheap player who might help.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am excited.

Low risk move.

LaFleur was with him at Notre Dame, so they know each other.

Cobb would have been in Big D with him too, doubt that matter much, but let’s effin go!!!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

He was really, really good 2017 - 2019. I don't know what happened and why his play dropped so much the last 20 games.

Here is a story on the player.

Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Oct 2021 19:16
Went to a Cowboys forum just to see the reactions. https://cowboyszone.com/threads/jaylon- ... ed.485299/

Some were sorry to see him go but the vast majority were happy and thought he was a liability holding the defense back.

On one hand we have potentially created the ILB duo we have had since Barnett/Hawk. Maybe Bishop/Hawk depending on how you view both of them. If it doesnt work out at least we took a shot on a potential upgrade.

THIS is going all in. Small gambles with little risk and high reward. No drafting a complete class of backups and resigning the player responsible for our elimination from the playoffs. I like this one from Gute.
Yeah Cowboy fans absolutely hate him. Say he's slow. Say he's terrible in coverage. (which PFF disagrees with but whatever).

And yet this is the same guy who got paid a lot of money not that long ago and Cowboys fans loved not that long ago.

He was also the NFL's #61 Player on the Top 100 list just 2 seasons ago.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here is more "prime" Jaylon Smith.

Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

PFF grades this year:

23rd overall ILB at 69.5
Tackling 84.3
Coverage 82.2
Run defense 37.4
Pass rusher 51.1

So hes struggling in run defense but its a base cover 3 scheme compared to Rod Marinelli in 2018 who likes a Tampa 2 system if memory recalls correctly. Honestly thats a pefect scheme for him because hes athletic and good in coverage. I think there is a place for him on this defense where teams stick to a lot of 11 personnel packages.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Mr. and Mr. and Mr. Smith... Too many Smiths, I don't like it!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Good to see Gutey is still trying ....

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

https://theathletic.com/2329759/2021/01 ... aches-nfl/

Good article on what went wrong for him in 2020. I gotta say a lot of it was bad but at the same time the surrounding talent, or lack there of, did him no favors. The names on the defense being mentioned as players also at fault and its no surprise this defense failed massively.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Big fan of this signing; only upside. No risk. If he stinks, then he's just our replacement for a Ty Summers or something.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one. :dunno: 'Seems like he's a bit washed, more of a "name" than quality player. I would have passed, definitely hope I'm wrong about this one. If a Smith/Campbell duo can eliminate the run, that could make this signing worthwhile, but I'm not seeing much else exciting about this.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

He hasnt been good lately. He looked lost on some cut ups I saw. Idk what happened to him bc he was way better just 2 years ago. Anyway its super low risk so nothing wrong with adding him. If he can help great if not not a big deal. I guess not landing Gilmore soured this today. :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

[quote="go pak go" post_id=63549 time=1633568307 user_id=60]
He was really, really good 2017 - 2019. I don't know what happened and why his play dropped so much the last 20 games.

Here is a story on the player.

[/quote

easy to fall for Jaylon Smith, I did prior to that draft, from HS through College he was a all American, then the injury.

how could we pass, I heard barely more then vet minimum, he gets all of the 7 mil. from the cowboys deal, so the cows will be paying for Smith as he makes tackles for us, how can we lose? :banana: