Odell Beckham

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Odell Beckham

Post by YoHoChecko »

Look, so he's either going to sit at home the rest of the season or he's going to be released.

If he is released, people will talk about finding him a better QB and a good team. The Packers come up a lot in these conversations, along with the Saints, Ravens, and Raiders--plus one reporter's weird obsession with Beckham and Brady reuniting.

I wanted a thread to get a conversation going around how we, as Packers fans, feel about Beckham as a player--both for us, but also in general. The ESPN guys kept mentioning Randy Moss looking washed with the raiders before exploding with the right situation and the Patriots.

I did a bunch of statistical work back then to show that Moss wasn't doing as poorly as people thought and that even if he was just targeted 3-4 times per game on deep shots, he would have been well worth the investment. I haven't done any of the same analysis on Beckham, but I tend to have some doubts in regards to that comparison.

Personally, I've always considered this guy a coach killer, 100%. He's a walking distraction. And it's been literal years since his production has justified that. I'm not saying he's physically washed; I'm saying everywhere he goes, coaches get fired, QBs get benched, etc. etc... Even when producing, it hasn't translated throughout the offense. So if he ends up a Packer, I will be hiiiiggghhly skeptical but optimistic (I do think we have a strong locker room and WR room specifically to handle some level of @$$hole, so that helps mitigate it).

Anyway, how do people feel about this guy, as a player, as a teammate, as a Packer, as an NFL WR... whatever.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 04 Nov 2021 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'm out. Not worth the headache.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I value the culture and winning attitude of the Packers above all else.

It is why I don't want want Jackson or Beckham. I like the guys we have more.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

He's a selfish "me" person who is an injury waiting to happen. I would never want him on my team.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If he wants to play for a winner badly enough to do the dirty work (i.e. blocking), be the #2 guy, and not play for very much, then sure, I'm in. Doubt it, though...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
04 Nov 2021 09:43
If he wants to play for a winner badly enough to do the dirty work (i.e. blocking), be the #2 guy, and not play for very much, then sure, I'm in. Doubt it, though...
I mean he doesn't though. The Browns team is talented enough. They are mostly losers for a reason.

I don't want WRs who b*tch about not getting the ball. We already have 1 WR who talks about getting the ball enough.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Finding the troubled guys mid season like Andre Rison in '96 are pretty rare. Odell just simply hasn't showed the talent or attitude that we need since 2016. So no thanks.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we get him rest of the year at vet min upon release??

10,000,000,000% in.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So far we're at a very predictable:

BF: still on the Beckham train he's been riding since the draft

Everyone else: no thanks :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
04 Nov 2021 09:42
He's a selfish "me" person who is an injury waiting to happen. I would never want him on my team.
agreed, we already have enough selfish and me first people on this team

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Nov 2021 09:59
So far we're at a very predictable:

BF: still on the Beckham train he's been riding since the draft

Everyone else: no thanks :mrgreen:
Just feel like he has no power here to be corruptable. Just with Rodgers in house, he won’t take guff. Not even the big dog in the WR room with Davante. On a zero risk contract, FO won’t hesitate to send him packing. Don’t think he could be around long enough to become a headache.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

No way Beckham would sign for a vet minimum. Way too prideful.

I think he is a disrupter to team chemistry, while also not being very good (due to not being able to stay on the field)

The guy is like Saquon and JJ Watt, you get pumped when you sign him...only to remember that he will be available for about 6 games per year.

No thanks.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
04 Nov 2021 09:55
If we get him rest of the year at vet min upon release??

10,000,000,000% in.
So, that is a big qualifier. On a minimum deal, I guess I would go for it. Your point about Davante is well taken, too. Like Jaylon Smith, he doesn't need to be here more than a week if anything goes downhill.

I think most expect far more financial commitment that would give Odell more leeway to turd up this run.

Read More. Post Less.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

NCF wrote:
04 Nov 2021 09:34
I'm out. Not worth the headache.
Yup
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Nov 2021 10:01

I think he is a disrupter to team chemistry, while also not being very good (due to not being able to stay on the field)

The guy is like Saquon and JJ Watt, you get pumped when you sign him...only to remember that he will be available for about 6 games per year.

No thanks.
Why not? He has already been paid in full for the year. He only needs to sign to play. The Browns would be eating the cost.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Raptorman wrote:
04 Nov 2021 11:43
Drj820 wrote:

No thanks.
Why not? He has already been paid in full for the year. He only needs to sign to play. The Browns would be eating the cost.
Guys only take vet minimum if that's all that is offered. I could see Odell holding back a few game to see if someone jumps on higher demands. But I expect there to be enough interest that Odell gets more than that right away.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
04 Nov 2021 11:53
Raptorman wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

No thanks.
Guys only take vet minimum if that's all that is offered. I could see Odell holding back a few game to see if someone jumps on higher demands. But I expect there to be enough interest that Odell gets more than that right away.
I could see the Raiders ponying up immediately about 5 million dollars.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Nov 2021 11:54
paco wrote:
04 Nov 2021 11:53
Raptorman wrote:

I could see the Raiders ponying up immediately about 5 million dollars.
The Raiders... So far they've really endeared themselves to their new home city by having their first season in front of no crowd, having their HC fired after insulting all the minorities imaginable, and then their first draft pick while situated in Vegas killing a person (and a dog). Overpaying for one-year rental of a volatile diva WR and bringing him into that situation... what could possibly go wrong?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Nov 2021 12:01
Overpaying for one-year rental of a volatile diva WR and bringing him into that situation... what could possibly go wrong?
And they already tried Antonio Brown. If they didn't learn their lesson the first time, then that's on them.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I would not want Beckham. Not a fan.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi