Packer Staff Changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Packer Staff Changes

Post by APB »

Normally I’d wait until the actual off-season to begin this discussion…but it’s the bye week so here goes!

It seems pretty evident the Packers are going to lose Hackett to a HC opening this cycle. Any guesses how that will shake out amongst the Packers staff? Does Getsy slide up? Or does Stenavich get his shot at more responsibility? Is there a dark horse?

One is the passing game coordinator, the other the run game coordinator. I suppose if Rodgers is traded we’ll be a much more run dependent team. That seems to favor Stenavich. One would assume Getsy would have his hands full with developing Love, anyway.

Might as well get this convo started now. Thoughts?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think Getsy for sure goes OC. It would protect him from going somewhere else as an OC, presumably with Hackett.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 18:43
I think Getsy for sure goes OC. It would protect him from going somewhere else as an OC, presumably with Hackett.
I think I might rather protect Stenavich than Getsy, personally.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
11 Jan 2022 18:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
Getsy is getting HC love from the Broncos. Apparently that's not particularly unexpected, only in the sense that he would skip OC. I haven't heard the same coordinator love of Stenavich, not yet anyway.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 18:54
APB wrote:
11 Jan 2022 18:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
Getsy is getting HC love from the Broncos. Apparently that's not particularly unexpected, only in the sense that he would skip OC. I haven't heard the same coordinator love of Stenavich, not yet anyway.
I think the only reason Getsy is getting an interview from Denver is to provide the safety net if Hackett goes elsewhere. Getsy provides the continuity, as Packers passing game coordinator and QB coach, to still convince Rodgers Denver is his best option should he choose to leave GB. I don’t think it’s a coincidence Denver is the only team publicly making a play for Getsy.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That definitely plays into it. Getsy is in next big OC conversations though. Kind of exemplified in him getting a look by Denver. Haven't heard that for Stenavich, however much he may deserve it.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

How many teams are interviewing Hackett?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

texas wrote:
11 Jan 2022 22:11
How many teams are interviewing Hackett?
Bears, Jags, and Broncos so far.

Giants might be looking that way too but just fired Judge today

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Huh, maybe he really will get a HC job then

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 20:00
That definitely plays into it. Getsy is in next big OC conversations though. Kind of exemplified in him getting a look by Denver. Haven't heard that for Stenavich, however much he may deserve it.
Outside of Denver, what conversations is Getsy a part of? I hadn’t heard of a single interest until Denver popped up. You know, the team that covets Rodgers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
11 Jan 2022 23:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 20:00
Outside of Denver, what conversations is Getsy a part of? I hadn’t heard of a single interest until Denver popped up. You know, the team that covets Rodgers.

I wasn't lying to you... I could see both Getsy and Stenavich become OCs in 2022. We won't know what OC interest there is until HC hires are done.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

How about bringing Joe Judge in to coach STs

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

packman114 wrote:
12 Jan 2022 06:04
How about bringing Joe Judge in to coach STs
With the stories that are out there about him, nope.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Any loss will be offset by the gain in a new ST coach.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 23:39
I wasn't lying to you...
I'm not sure why you took my previous comment as an indictment on your integrity. I simply stated I hadn't heard of a single team, outside of Denver, express any interest in Getsy as a HC this cycle.
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 23:39
I could see both Getsy and Stenavich become OCs in 2022. We won't know what OC interest there is until HC hires are done.
Oh, no doubt. It's the next logical step for both of them.

But HC? Now? Based on their current and past levels of responsibility, I'd say no.

Is Getsy on a path to eventually assume that role? Certainly. But until Denver, I don't think anybody viewed him as ready to assume that role right now. I also don't think it's a coincidence Denver is ready to elevate him to HC consideration in light of their obvious needs going forward.

Getsy is currently in his highest position of responsibility as an NFL coach. He's never been an NFL coordinator or assistant HC. I personally think it's a stretch to believe Getsy is getting this HC interview from Denver based upon his coaching merits alone. His position coach status and relationship with Rodgers is weighing heavily in this. That is my opinion and has nothing to do with your integrity.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
12 Jan 2022 08:02

But HC? Now? Based on their current and past levels of responsibility, I'd say no.
Ya, I would say no as well, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It's not often that coaches skip coordinator to be a head coach. I don't think head coach is realistic for anyone currently on staff other than Hackett. Coordinator buzz probably comes for Getsy first and then Stenavich. I wouldn't mind promoting Getsy to OC and Stenavich to assistant head coach/offensive line. That would avoid Hackett poaching them when he gets a job. What I was talking about previously is that Getsy has more buzz surrounding him than Stenavich does, even prior to the Denver HC interview.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

What do we think that chances are that Hackett moves on? I give it 100%.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Jan 2022 08:19
What do we think that chances are that Hackett moves on? I give it 100%.
I'm not quite at 100% but, yeah, my money says he's gone.

As you suggested previously and assuming Hackett is gone, I'd like to see MLF promote Getsy and Stenavich to positions that promote their professional growth as well as protect them from poaching for anything other than HC. I'd be happy with either assuming the OC position with the other assigned the assistant HC title.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've actually lessened my thoughts that Hackett is gone. but still think its a very good chance he is. I think Jax and Denver are most likely. I think he's 3rd or 4th in the running for Jax, but you never know how interviews go.

Denver is the most likely if they are going to try to put together a package for Rodgers.

He's interviewing with the Bears, but I find that less likely. Even though it may be the smarter move, they'll probably make a move like Harbaugh.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
12 Jan 2022 08:31
I've actually lessened my thoughts that Hackett is gone. but still think its a very good chance he is. I think Jax and Denver are most likely. I think he's 3rd or 4th in the running for Jax, but you never know how interviews go.

Denver is the most likely if they are going to try to put together a package for Rodgers.

He's interviewing with the Bears, but I find that less likely. Even though it may be the smarter move, they'll probably make a move like Harbaugh.
If I were Hackett I don't know if I'd be all that eager to go to Jax. They have a promising young QB but that franchise is a dumpster fire. Did Jax keep their GM?