Do we even want Rodgers back?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Do we want Rodgers back?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35

texas
Reactions:

Do we even want Rodgers back?

Post by texas »

We've talked a lot about what we think Rodgers will do. But what do we want him to do?

Assume we could trade for a good (but not great) QB, or roll with Love, whichever you prefer. Assume Adams walks.

I say that I still want him back. But honestly I don't see us winning a SB with him, so :idn:

We need a QB who the defense at least fears can run the ball. Rodgers doesn't seem to be able to do much in the playoffs, and the only time he had success, he was forcing defenses to respect his running ability.

But I'd probably roll the dice with him again.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yes but I think he is gone.

He is better suited in warm dryer weather. He should also be able to join a high level offense and continue to put up high level numbers.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Thanks for asking what I was too chicken to.

Ignoring the cap issues for now, I honestly don't know. He hasn't played like a Hall of Famer in the playoffs since, what, @ Dallas 2016? Maybe vs. Rams?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:06
Thanks for asking what I was too chicken to.

Ignoring the cap issues for now, I honestly don't know. He hasn't played like a Hall of Famer in the playoffs since, what, @ Dallas 2016? Maybe vs. Rams?
He seems to beat the same teams over and over and lose to the same teams over and over. So as long as we get the bye, then play Dallas and Chicago in the playoffs, we should be fine.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

AR's presser mostly about his future from the questions being asked. He has been open ended, as would be expected. But did mention he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

wallyuwl wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:11
AR's presser mostly about his future from the questions being asked. He has been open ended, as would be expected. But did mention he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.
Yeah I say if we can squeeze together another year then I am leaning towards that. But as with this year, I am not going to give a single &%$@ about a division championship, or MLF's record, or Rodgers' stats, or whether we beat TB/SF/SEA in the regular season.

Season starts week 19 as far as I am concerned. Our 2021 record was 0-1. Maybe 2022 can be 3-0.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hey I still think we would hate to see this team without Rodgers. Teams with STs like this dont win many games without an elite offense to compensate for them. The O compensated alot for them this year, not sure that happens without 12. The WRs cant seperate. Our best chance to win is with 12. Without him we may not have so many chances. Il take him back!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:15
Hey I still think we would hate to see this team without Rodgers. Teams with STs like this dont win many games without an elite offense to compensate for them. The O compensated alot for them this year, not sure that happens without 12. The WRs cant seperate. Our best chance to win is with 12. Without him we may not have so many chances. Il take him back!
With Love this team wins 4 games this year. Maybe. He doesn't have "it." The game is WAY too fast for him and he has poor accuracy. He is similar to Hurst, IMO.

The team's best chance to win the division in 2022-2024 is with 12. Then anything can happen. But his salary cap hit means they likely are a 4 seed (I doubt they get in as a wild card but the division is so dysfunctional).

The future of the team is defense and running is 12 leaves. How good they are depends on if they can find a QB to go along with what should be a pretty good defense and running game. Love isn't it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

With Rodgers you get playoff dissapointment but you can pretty much bet your life your gonna get the playoffs.

I mean 7 teams get in now and the division is a clown show.

With other options, a HOF qb walks out the door and you may never find another again. Its happened to many franchises. Ask the old timer Pack fans about the 70s and 80s
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

You can't ignore the cap. Keeping Rodgers guts the D and that was the only group that came to play today.

Adams is gone, no matter what. How good would Rodgers be next season without Adams?

No, absolutely not, the Packers should sit down with Rodgers next week and ask him to give them a list of 5 teams in order of priority where he will accept a trade to. And then do it, ASAP. Take the 1st round pick and resign your remaining FA's and move on.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

In all honestly, would love to continue to hear arguments from those that voted "Yes".
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:28
You can't ignore the cap. Keeping Rodgers guts the D and that was the only group that came to play today.

Adams is gone, no matter what. How good would Rodgers be next season without Adams?

No, absolutely not, the Packers should sit down with Rodgers next week and ask him to give them a list of 5 teams in order of priority where he will accept a trade to. And then do it, ASAP. Take the 1st round pick and resign your remaining FA's and move on.
AR has been pretty good without Adams. He plays more disciplined. But they can't roll with Lazard as a 1 with or without 12.

But you don't trade AR for one 1st rounder. And the QB class this year isn't very good even if it is a high 1.
Last edited by wallyuwl on 22 Jan 2022 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:27
With Rodgers you get playoff dissapointment but you can pretty much bet your life your gonna get the playoffs.

With other options, a HOF qb walks out the door and you may never find another again. Its happened to many franchises. Ask the old timer Pack fans about the 70s and 80s
I am one of them, an old timer. I grew up watching Bart Starr who is a legitimate HOF QB. The Packers had good QB's in the bad years. Dickey and Majikowski were good QB's. What they did not have was a decent team around them.

John Hadl was a disaster for the Packers. The Packers gave away the store for an over the hill QB. But keeping Rodgers would be a worse decision than Hadl.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

We win this game with mistake free special teams play.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We win the game with an offense that can score 14 points.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:34
TheSkeptic wrote:

AR has been pretty good without Adams. He plays more disciplined. But they can't roll with Lazard as a 1 with or without 12.

But you don't trade AR for one 1st rounder. And the QB class this year isn't very good even if it is a high 1.
Coming off another MVP year? You better believe you should be able to get at least 2 firsts.

Totally agree on the Adams assessment. It's mind-numbingly obvious when Adams comes back from an injury, Rodgers stares him down. I know he's trying to get him back in the flow of things, but he ends up playing more poorly because of it.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:34
TheSkeptic wrote:

You trade him for what teams will give to get him. He did not inspire anyone today.

And you definitely do not draft a QB in round 1, you need a WR#1.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:27

This is the question. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen. Or take your medicine in 2022 and trade up to take a top QB in 2023 draft using one or more of the picks from trading AR and the team's own likely top 12 pick. Then it is at least another year to be a serious contender in the playoffs, but more likely 2 to 4 years IF the 2023 QB is a hit.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:36
We win the game with an offense that can score 14 points.
We win this game with a special teams that scores 7 points

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:33
In all honestly, would love to continue to hear arguments from those that voted "Yes".
I voted Yes but I am not strongly in favor of that, only mildly in favor.

To me it comes down to the total lack of options for 2022 (Love is not an option at this point), and also the fact that I have gone my entire fanhood with HOF QB play and am hesitant to just give that up.

As bad as he always plays, it's possible we get a favorable draw next year. It's possible that we pick up 2 all-pro level FAs on offense like we did on defense this year.

I think he is a loser at heart. He has a losing personality and demeanor. But he did win it once. I would like it if he would run the ball a lot more. I've said this after probably the last 4-5 meltdowns or so. It just seems to me that he has never been able to beat playoff defenses except when he makes them respect his legs. That was the whole point of The Belt back in 2010. But I don't think he is going to even entertain such an idea.