Hackett to Broncos

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Hackett to Broncos

Post by APB »

The first domino has fallen...

The Denver Broncos are hiring Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett to be the team's new head coach, sources confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

Hackett was scheduled to interview with the Jaguars on Thursday, but the Broncos stepped in Wednesday night to get a deal done to prevent him from going to Jacksonville.

NFL Network first reported the news.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Congrats to Hackett. Seems obvious that Getsy will be promoted to OC, unless he moves on elsewhere in an OC role with playcalling responsibilities.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yeah, congrats to him. Super likeable guy. I think he will do well there.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Thank you for the great years Nathaniel.

I LOOOOOVE GOOOOOLLLDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Happy for Hackett. Congrats to him and best of luck in his next chapter!

Moving forward in Green Bay, I think the offensive staff is still solid so long as Getsy sticks around and there are no other significant defections. Lose Getsy, too, though, and I think there will be some transition struggles.

Of course, if Rodgers stays he has the ability to mask a lot of those struggles. If he follows Hackett, though...ugh.

Then imagine losing Hackett, Getsy, and Rodgers all in one swoop. :hide:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:19

Moving forward in Green Bay, I think the offensive staff is still solid so long as Getsy sticks around and there are no other significant defections. Lose Getsy, too, though, and I think there will be some transition struggles.

Of course, if Rodgers stays he has the ability to mask a lot of those struggles. If he follows Hackett, though...ugh.

as long as we keep Tonyan.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:19

It would hurt for sure. But Stenavich would likely be the guy in that case. Plus MLF is the primary guy on O anyway. But may not be a horrible time to retool. We'll have the same RB and OL room, but change in QB, almost total WR rebuild, and likely TE. Going to have to rework stuff anyway.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gunna be hard not to be a closet Broncos fan next year.

I really like a lot of their draft picks in recent years too.

Gunna be weird seeing Rodgers, Adams, MVS, Tonyan, Patrick and King all there.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Getsy is our passing game coordinator, Stenavich is running game coordinator.

My guess is both are offensive coordinators next year in Denver and GB.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

One more reason why Rodgers is going to Denver with Adams and probably another Packer

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:28
One more reason why Rodgers is going to Denver with Adams and probably another Packer
Spoiler

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hackett never really struck me as "The Head Guy", but that said...really happy for him and hope he does well. Always seemed like a great guy and great Packer.

Great original hire by Lafleur.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:27

Might need a new run game coordinator.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Times are a changing in GB
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:52
BF004 wrote:

If I understand how the coaching game works, MLF can "protect" a coach from poaching by promoting him to a position of equal or greater standing within his own staff as compared to the potential new position being offered. Is there a way of "protecting" both by, say, promoting one to OC and the other assuming the title of Assistant Head Coach?

And if MLF is not able to protect both, which coach would you prefer to keep? In my mind, I'd rather retain Stenavich as it seems apparent should Rodgers leave, this offense would see a significant evolution toward a run-heavy offense. Stenavich's playground. With MLF heavily involved in developing the pass game, I'd think we would be OK there.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

He can protect both by promoting one to Assistant Head Coach and one to Offensive Coordinator.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2022 08:18
He can protect both by promoting one to Assistant Head Coach and one to Offensive Coordinator.
That's what I thought.

Now, is it a DB move or is it morally defensible in this case?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2022 08:15
paco wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:52
BF004 wrote:

If I understand how the coaching game works, MLF can "protect" a coach from poaching by promoting him to a position of equal or greater standing within his own staff as compared to the potential new position being offered. Is there a way of "protecting" both by, say, promoting one to OC and the other assuming the title of Assistant Head Coach?

And if MLF is not able to protect both, which coach would you prefer to keep? In my mind, I'd rather retain Stenavich as it seems apparent should Rodgers leave, this offense would see a significant evolution toward a run-heavy offense. Stenavich's playground. With MLF heavily involved in developing the pass game, I'd think we would be OK there.
what ever happened to honoring a contract? seems to me this letting assistants leave has become a gentleman thing to do, if Memory serves we had to give SF a draft pick to aquire Mike Holmgren, imo we should get some sort of compensation for Hackett, Getty, or Stenavich.

I'am happy for Hackett, but upset at the same time, if a coach signs a contract he should be held to it just as we do with players imho.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2022 08:15

This a million times over.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2022 08:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2022 08:18
That's what I thought.

Now, is it a DB move or is it morally defensible in this case?
You can't just promote a guy and block him. They still have to want the job. He can only block them if they someone asks them to apply for a job equal or lower than the one they already have.

In any case, if they want to stay, MLF will keep them. If they want to leave, MLF will let them go. He's said he won't stop anyone from furthering their career.
RIP JustJeff