Credit Joe Barry some, will ya!?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Credit Joe Barry some, will ya!?

Post by salmar80 »

Most posters expected Joe Barry to fail completely. Pitchforks were at the ready by the barn door, all the torches were freshly oiled. The mob was ready to do this :mob: .

What's your pitchfork and torch situation these days?

I personally think fans' expectations have built a hiiigh overpass over Barry, leading to an assessment of 2021 Packers D, where all we remember is Stokes, Clark, Rasul and Campbell, and somehow act like all of them acted without there being a DC in the bulding.

Barry didn't innovate some fantastical new D system. But he sure as &%$@ made the pieces play well on his board.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Feb 2022 13:05
Most posters expected Joe Barry to fail completely. Pitchforks were at the ready by the barn door, all the torches were freshly oiled. The mob was ready to do this :mob: .

He's been fantastic.

The challenge in GB is to be consistent on defense. Capers was awesome his first 2 years. Pettine was viewed as awesome in 2018 and 2019. Barry is off to a strong start.

It's staying consistent though. I really hope we keep investing in our defense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

salmar80 wrote:

I personally think fans' expectations have built a hiiigh overpass over Barry, leading to an assessment of 2021 Packers D, where all we remember is Stokes, Clark, Rasul and Campbell, and somehow act like all of them acted without there being a DC in the bulding.

Barry didn't innovate some fantastical new D system. But he sure as &%$@ made the pieces play well on his board.
You want kudos for him, count me in. I just figured that like there was no question the ST coach had to go, strictly because he was in charge, Barry's praises were assumed whenever we gave the D credit.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Half Empty wrote:
04 Feb 2022 13:25
salmar80 wrote:

You want kudos for him, count me in. I just figured that like there was no question the ST coach had to go, strictly because he was in charge, Barry's praises were assumed whenever we gave the D credit.
I just felt Barry got SO little credit over the course of the year, it often felt he was invisible.

I do, of course credit Gutey for finding a whole lotta talent for Barry, but he did utilize their talents well and helped several unknowns become stars.

His D ain't flashy, but it was super solid, and utilized the talent he had real well. And it didn't fail in the playoffs.

That I had to create an appreciation thread in February is a shame.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Barry impressed me, course this is the most talented this squad has been since Capers second season, Pettine did well also with better pass rushers, hopefully we keep the talent pool up.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'm gonna name my firstborn Joe Barry in his honor...
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

He did a bang-up job this season. Honestly, that was one of the best (and most fun to watch) Packer defenses I have ever seen. I tip my hat to him.

I feel like coordinators have, like, two good years in them, though, because the league has not seen them before, or it's been a while, and/or they have very different players to work with than last time which makes their scheme play out differently. And then they kinda go downhill after that because the league has seen everything from them.

So one of my Crank football opinions is teams should replace (fire) their coordinators every 3-4 years. I will admit, that is a somewhat insane proposition but I doubt the empirical evidence would not back me up.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
04 Feb 2022 15:18
I'm building a golden shrine for him.

In shape of a Barry, whatever that is. The artist promised to interpret it with great integrity and pre-payment.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Right now the Packers D is the best in the NFL.

Barry deserves credit, so does Gute for finding Campbell and Douglas.

But there is only one way to keep this D, and we all know it isn't by overpaying an aging QB who chokes in January.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Feb 2022 15:45
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

In shape of a Barry, whatever that is.
You could get away with this.

Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
04 Feb 2022 15:56
Right now the Packers D is the best in the NFL.

Barry deserves credit, so does Gute for finding Campbell and Douglas.

But there is only one way to keep this D, and we all know it isn't by overpaying an aging QB who chokes in January.
My number one priority this offseason is keep the defense together and build on it in the draft.

At the cost of the offense. I don't care. You can make your offense dynamic quickly. Building and keeping a great D is hard. I want to go that route.
Yoop wrote:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Labrev wrote:
04 Feb 2022 15:19
He did a bang-up job this season. Honestly, that was one of the best (and most fun to watch) Packer defenses I have ever seen. I tip my hat to him.

I feel like coordinators have, like, two good years in them, though, because the league has not seen them before, or it's been a while, and/or they have very different players to work with than last time which makes their scheme play out differently. And then they kinda go downhill after that because the league has seen everything from them.

So one of my Crank football opinions is teams should replace (fire) their coordinators every 3-4 years. I will admit, that is a somewhat insane proposition but I doubt the empirical evidence would not back me up.
Same thing with defensive players tbh.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
04 Feb 2022 16:48
salmar80 wrote:
04 Feb 2022 15:45
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

In shape of a Barry, whatever that is.
You could get away with this.

Drayton walked away with an unanimous one this year. Didn't even do a Halle Berry and give a speech.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
04 Feb 2022 13:10
salmar80 wrote:

He's been fantastic.

The challenge in GB is to be consistent on defense. Capers was awesome his first 2 years. Pettine was viewed as awesome in 2018 and 2019. Barry is off to a strong start.

It's staying consistent though. I really hope we keep investing in our defense.
Capers was definitely awesome but I don't remember Pettine being viewed as all that great. More like "well he's not as bad as Dom and he's earned another year, so it would be nice to give him another year even if we get a new HC"

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

It was remarkable what he did with a unit that lost an All-Pro pass rusher and CB for practically the entire season. :clap:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Joe Barry said his go-to karaoke song is "Super Freak" by Rick James. :rotf:

https://www.packers.com/video/get-to-kn ... nt-coaches
- Vince Lombardi

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
07 Feb 2022 12:15

I thought this thread was supposed to give him some credit. :)

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Half Empty wrote:
07 Feb 2022 12:45
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
07 Feb 2022 12:15

I thought this thread was supposed to give him some credit. :)
If he can pull it off, I'll give him all the credit. Still sounds like it'd be hilarious though.
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
06 Feb 2022 04:57
It was remarkable what he did with a unit that lost an All-Pro pass rusher and CB for practically the entire season. :clap:
Equally remarkable is how bad the offense and Special Teams under performed in the 2022 playoff game under LaCoach, and the Special Teams coach that was replaced with the former Raiders interim Head Coach. And how whe offensive coordinator left to coach Russell Wilson.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 10 Mar 2022 06:31, edited 1 time in total.