MVS to Chiefs

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

MVS to Chiefs

Post by APB »

Bye-Bye MVS...too rich for my liking.

Wish him the best!

Edit: MVS centric posts merged from various threads to this single topic.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Got his $10M. Doubt the Packers were going to go that high.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Really kind of like the chiefs got him.

Them at 29 and 30 with a WR need make them a big threat to jump us at 22 or 28 if there is someone there we like.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 15:06

Them at 29 and 30 with a WR need make them a big threat to jump us at 22 or 28 if there is someone there we like.
I was just thinking of that aspect, as well. :aok:

I also like that he and Adams will be competing against one another in the same division. Should be some fun match-ups.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
24 Mar 2022 15:10
BF004 wrote:

They will still be looking for more WR help
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 15:11
APB wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Well sure. But now they may not be so rash to bundle some of those newly attained picks and jump up to grab one ahead of us.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
24 Mar 2022 15:13
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

Well sure. But now they may not be so rash to bundle some of those newly attained picks and jump up to grab one ahead of us.
They have a lot of picks. I really think they wouldn’t hesitate to jump up If there is a WR they really like in the 10-21 range. They will do what it takes to bring in guys they think can be difference makers. I don’t think signing MVS will change that for them.

I hope we come to the draft with a similar mindset.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Andy Ried believes a quality QB deserves quality WR's,imagine that :rotf: 10 mil. annual seems high for a WR coming off a IR season but MVS has what can't be coached, everyone wants speed, and he has that to spare.

we have to be aware of teams thinking about jumping us for one of the top receivers, we can't be left out in the cold again.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Did the Chiefs give MVS 3 for $36M? Gosh!

No way were the Packers going to pay him that. More power to ya, MVS.

I'm wondering if Guty was waiting for the MVS situation to resolve before he made any other WR decisions. Maybe something develops in the coming couple of days?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

All I want to say about this is two things.

1. If anybody thought that MVS isn't a WR2, then why would the Chiefs give him a 3yr/$36M deal? I think that contract says that MVS is a WR2 in their eyes. And the Chiefs know something about WRs!

2. I'm gonna miss this kid. I thought he was superb, even if he missed too many games. But I don't see that Guty had the ammo to pay him what the Chiefs offered. If anybody sees Guty or the FO commenting on that, please let me know.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Mar 2022 03:15
All I want to say about this is two things.

1. If anybody thought that MVS isn't a WR2, then why would the Chiefs give him a 3yr/$36M deal? I think that contract says that MVS is a WR2 in their eyes. And the Chiefs know something about WRs!
Or... the Chiefs are wrong

If they're right, then I'm going to be pretty unhappy with the production we were able to get out of him. But I have a feeling they are wrong and have overvalued him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I thought he was ready to have a break out type season last year, but he actually regressed prior to the injury, his best catch % season was 2020 when he caught 52% of targeted throws, last year he dropped back to just below 50%.

Scott, does that sound like a player you'd want as your #2 receiver? didn't think so :)

MVS reaped the benefit of a speed deleted WR UFA group this year and what seems like crazy spending by some teams for the few available, so a lack of supply, and high demand drove up Scantlings value.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Goodbye good luck! Too rich for us.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
25 Mar 2022 06:11
I thought he was ready to have a break out type season last year, but he actually regressed prior to the injury, his best catch % season was 2020 when he caught 52% of targeted throws, last year he dropped back to just below 50%.

Scott, does that sound like a player you'd want as your #2 receiver? didn't think so :)

MVS reaped the benefit of a speed deleted WR UFA group this year and what seems like crazy spending by some teams for the few available, so a lack of supply, and high demand drove up Scantlings value.
Yes. But I have to admit that I have been looking more at what remains of his upside. He still has been improving and he's a willing hustle guy and a good enough blocker. I always want guys like that. Maybe he doesn't stack up as WR2. But he's a fine #3 for sure.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Mar 2022 08:12
Yoop wrote:

Yes. But I have to admit that I have been looking more at what remains of his upside. He still has been improving and he's a willing hustle guy and a good enough blocker. I always want guys like that. Maybe he doesn't stack up as WR2. But he's a fine #3 for sure.
well I just showed you that his play did increase up to last year where it declined back to pre 2020 season, 52% completion rate wouldn't have kept him employed by us if not for his fourty time, his speed helps others get open, and that in my mind is the reason he's being paid so well.

it's his speed that keeps him on the field, so in that sense I tend to agree, he is a #3 receiver in a 3 receiver set, I wish we could have kept him simply because in a 4 receiver set all he has to do is run a go route and one of those other 3 is bound to be open, not having MVS ( or another that can stretch a secondary) will make it much harder for guys like Lazard, and other that already struggle beating 1x1 coverage.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The Chiefs have a desperate need in their offense for a guy who can stretch the field. Someone who can stretch the field allows Kelce to EAT underneath. They also just saved a ton of money by not paying Tyreke. Point being, they paid MVS at a rate they could for sure secure his services. That doesnt mean the league sees him as WR2, or even that they do. Just means he has a skillset they find valuable, and they paid him to secure that skill set. Good for MVS.

I dont think it will work out for them as well as they think it will

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think MVS would have rebounded and I think he would have had a really nice season in GB. Paying that contract, though, or counting on him as our #1 would be a major mistake. I think MVS has his best football in front of him, but I still think he is a limited player. He will never have the breakout that guys like Driver, Nelson or Adams had to stardom.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Probably a 4th round comp pick, right?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Mar 2022 08:46
Probably a 4th round comp pick, right?
Sounds about right. There have been a lot of big head-scratching deals that could push this down, but total volume seems pretty low, so this should qualify for that 4th-round range.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
25 Mar 2022 08:25
Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Mar 2022 08:12
Yoop wrote:

well I just showed you that his play did increase up to last year where it declined back to pre 2020 season, 52% completion rate wouldn't have kept him employed by us if not for his fourty time, his speed helps others get open, and that in my mind is the reason he's being paid so well.

it's his speed that keeps him on the field, so in that sense I tend to agree, he is a #3 receiver in a 3 receiver set, I wish we could have kept him simply because in a 4 receiver set all he has to do is run a go route and one of those other 3 is bound to be open, not having MVS ( or another that can stretch a secondary) will make it much harder for guys like Lazard, and other that already struggle beating 1x1 coverage.
You don't need to pay $10m/yr for a WR3 speed guy. You draft one in the 4th round in a couple weeks.